IGNORED

Article: Monty Alexander Favorites

1 hour ago, TomWoB said:

I know Monty Alexander since the 80s. One of my first Jeton Direct-to-Disc LPs was Monty Alexander Solo:

1755077189_MontyAlexander-Solo.jpeg.c0492fedd9e39520cdbd6de7d7c2dd53.jpeg

Now I'm listening this wonderful music on CD ...

Thank you for this suggestion!

I’ve found it on Qobuz (16/44 format) and the sound, not to mention the playing, is phenomenal.

Roon Nucleus REV B -> DH Labs Mirage USB Cable -> Ayre QB-9 Twenty DAC -> SPL Elector Preamp -> Bryston 2.5 Cubed amp -> Magnepan 1.7i speakers + REL T9x

jonathan

6 hours ago, TomWoB said:

@spin33

Technical detail of the "Solo" LP: the "Direct-To-Disc" recording process, which means Monty has to play the two sides of the LP nonstop, without any break. Two "long takes" with 5 songs each (like "live") 😵

What makes this LP special for me is "this small error" at the end of Cavatina (my favorite song) ... try to find it 😉

I have two more Jeton CDs with Monty Alexander:

• Summerwind
  • Summerwind Vol. II

Both with Ray Brown, Johnny Griffin and Martin Drew. Maybe Qobuz has these CDs in the catalogue too (?)

Yes, Direct-To-Disc method will generally produce special results. I've several vinyl LPs recorded in that manner, all very natural in presentation (even the small errors, as at the 4:45 mark of Cavatina ;-).

Was unfamiliar with Jeton until the introduction to 'Monty Solo', so thank you for that. Qobuz US has the 'Summerwind' album  (another excellent suggestion!) but it's on the Bell Records label, not Jeton. Unfortunately, no Vol. II at all.

But as the Jeton label has intrigued me, I did a search on Qobuz for other releases and found several. I haven't listened yet but they all look interesting and are now saved into my Roon library.

fullsizeoutput_4004.jpeg

Roon Nucleus REV B -> DH Labs Mirage USB Cable -> Ayre QB-9 Twenty DAC -> SPL Elector Preamp -> Bryston 2.5 Cubed amp -> Magnepan 1.7i speakers + REL T9x

jonathan