IGNORED

Article: Monty Alexander Favorites

I found Monty Alexander by way of his concert at the 1994 Montreux Jazz Festival, featuring Barbara Hendricks on vocals.  I have this on CD, SVCD (anyone remember Super Video CD? lol), and DVD.

948039169_BHMontya.thumb.jpg.126a393cbd9922af2a73f13751729034.jpg

1619157259_BHMontyb.thumb.jpg.b2c7fc8560db911fca73bb7cad638222.jpg

565788276_BHMontycda.thumb.jpg.64f7b5603afae6c2a48b5d80a68df112.jpg

1901754414_BHMontycdb.thumb.jpg.e0aee762725511c497402f7b5f33965d.jpg

Here's the album on Qobuz:

https://open.qobuz.com/album/0724355534651

Oddly, youtube put it under the auto-generated Neville Marriner-Topic lmao!

请教别人一次是5分钟的傻子,从不请教别人是一辈子的傻子

Thanks Joe. 😊

The only one I have heard of your 10 favorites, is a single track from "Ray Brown, Monty Alexander & Russell Malone" called Django from Telarc SACD Sampler No. 3. It is fine I just didn't like it enough to purchase the entire SACD. I use samplers to help in making purchase decisions of audiophile recordings.

I have three Monty Alexander SACDs not listed in your post.

• Monty Alexander - My America Telarc SACD-63552
  • Monty Alexander - Stir It Up: The Music of Bob Marley Telarc SACD-63469
  • Monty Alexander; Ernest Ranglin - Rocksteady Telarc SACD-63581

I enjoy all three of them and I was curious if you have heard them. They don't appear to be available as hi-res downloads in either PCM or DSD.

Also I would have loved to check out the links to the albums you provided, however when I signed my last lease with my apartment complex they changed the conditions of the free internet they provide, we are no longer allowed to stream music or video and no longer allowed large downloads. So far they have not said anything about the 30 second samples I listen to decide if I want a new disc offered for sale. Later today I will give a listen to 30 second samples of the albums you recommend. Thanks again. 😊

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

Hi Teresa.i have the first two recordings you mentioned and enjoy them. I have about 25 of Monty’s recordings so it was not easy picking just 10. I enjoy the live recordings the best as he is just so good live. The energy level is just higher than the studio sessions. I do not have the Ranglin recording but do have the Ernest Ranglin Order of Distinction recording that features Monty on piano. That is from AIX records. I have the Blu-Ray which has a stereo flac 24/96 version of the album which can be extracted. That is a fun recording and is great in 5.1. I will look to grab the recording you mentioned. I will look for it on Amazon. Thanks.

I did not know Monty Alexander! Thank you!

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

BTW... Found Calypso to be really fun, and an amazing recording (Chesky’s)!

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

system pics

14 minutes ago, ednaz said:

If you love jazz piano and haven't done some deep dives into Monty's work, I have an idea for you for a full weekend... He does enough different styles of music that you COULD listen all weekend.

I had a lot of fun this weekend discovering Monty!!!

system pics

18 hours ago, miguelito said:

I had a lot of fun this weekend discovering Monty!!!

And it was slightly expensive too... :) 

system pics

1 hour ago, TomWoB said:

I know Monty Alexander since the 80s. One of my first Jeton Direct-to-Disc LPs was Monty Alexander Solo:

1755077189_MontyAlexander-Solo.jpeg.c0492fedd9e39520cdbd6de7d7c2dd53.jpeg

Now I'm listening this wonderful music on CD ...

Thank you for this suggestion!

I’ve found it on Qobuz (16/44 format) and the sound, not to mention the playing, is phenomenal.

Roon Nucleus REV B -> DH Labs Mirage USB Cable -> Ayre QB-9 Twenty DAC -> SPL Elector Preamp -> Bryston 2.5 Cubed amp -> Magnepan 1.7i speakers + REL T9x

jonathan

@spin33

Technical detail of the "Solo" LP: the "Direct-To-Disc" recording process, which means Monty has to play the two sides of the LP nonstop, without any break. Two "long takes" with 5 songs each (like "live") 😵

What makes this LP special for me is "this small error" at the end of Cavatina (my favorite song) ... try to find it 😉

I have two more Jeton CDs with Monty Alexander:

• Summerwind
  • Summerwind Vol. II

Both with Ray Brown, Johnny Griffin and Martin Drew. Maybe Qobuz has these CDs in the catalogue too (?)

6 hours ago, TomWoB said:

@spin33

Technical detail of the "Solo" LP: the "Direct-To-Disc" recording process, which means Monty has to play the two sides of the LP nonstop, without any break. Two "long takes" with 5 songs each (like "live") 😵

What makes this LP special for me is "this small error" at the end of Cavatina (my favorite song) ... try to find it 😉

• Summerwind
  • Summerwind Vol. II

Both with Ray Brown, Johnny Griffin and Martin Drew. Maybe Qobuz has these CDs in the catalogue too (?)

Yes, Direct-To-Disc method will generally produce special results. I've several vinyl LPs recorded in that manner, all very natural in presentation (even the small errors, as at the 4:45 mark of Cavatina ;-).

Was unfamiliar with Jeton until the introduction to 'Monty Solo', so thank you for that. Qobuz US has the 'Summerwind' album  (another excellent suggestion!) but it's on the Bell Records label, not Jeton. Unfortunately, no Vol. II at all.

But as the Jeton label has intrigued me, I did a search on Qobuz for other releases and found several. I haven't listened yet but they all look interesting and are now saved into my Roon library.

fullsizeoutput_4004.jpeg

Roon Nucleus REV B -> DH Labs Mirage USB Cable -> Ayre QB-9 Twenty DAC -> SPL Elector Preamp -> Bryston 2.5 Cubed amp -> Magnepan 1.7i speakers + REL T9x

jonathan

15 hours ago, TomWoB said:

@spin33

• Summerwind
  • Summerwind Vol. II

I found Summerwind on Qobuz and Tidal, but Vol. II is only on Tidal.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png