IGNORED

Mytek Stereo 192

Yes, new USB and firewire drivers would be very welcome. long overdue I believe. I've been using the generic TC firewire v4.1.2 windows drivers for awhile now with no problem what so ever. Performance and stability are quite ahead of the v3.5.6? firewire that mytek have on their site.

Roon  |  Metrum Acoustics Ambre Streamer & Onyx NOS DAC  |  Nakamichi BX-300  |  Technics SL-1210GAE & Ortofon 2M Black  |  Yamaha T-7

McIntosh MA352  |  JBL L82 Classic  |  Inakustik Interconnects & Speaker Cabling  |  IsoTek Power Management

It doesn't work, and has never worked. For me and the others A+ owners.

We can only get integer mode with usb1, also with some fucking clics, and 96KHz max. Sound imaging is deeper, with more precision. Clearly better than FW, USB2, spdif or optical (tried all the others).

I have to add that I CAN enable integer mode in the prefs, but it's not active (there's not the green INT light in A+, and I can HEAR the difference)

Curious, I have a late model 2013 mac Mini (i7/8GB) which is used for Apple iOS development and I never use it for a personal every day computer. I hooked it up to the Mytek DAC and played some PCM files (Manu Katche Third Round, ECM 88.2/24) over USB1 vs USB1 Integer Mode 1 vs USB1 Integer Mode 2 vs USB2 non Integer (As you say doesn't light up). There was a small but worthwhile improvement with Integer mode but the overall presentation was flat congested, and uninvolving with a collapsed sound stage height and width I also heard some spurious hash/spatter over USB1 and Integer mode. However switching back to my trusty custom Intel Atom/Jriver/Win8/ASIO combo got the music back in spades. I can understand wanting to have integer mode but I couldn't put up with these compromises. Audirvana+ is also too minimalist for my liking. Bummer, but I think my experiment shows that the firmware is probably not relevant. Neither do I think it has anything to do with the custom implemented USBPAL USB front end (which is based on Cypress semiconductors FX2LP general purpose USB microcontroller and Spartan 3E FPGA) or the virtues of XMOS. Not sure barrows even owned a Mytek at the time he was making those prognostications.

There is a thread elsewhere about Gordin Rankin and some hardware issues with Mac machines that has recently revived.

Music Interests: http://www.onebitaudio.com

I have exactly the same issue with the same record in 128DSD....

Fellow audiophile thought he heard some "hash" during (2x?) DSD playback on the Greeninger album. Have not had chance to revisit.

Read in the article "Windows 7 Tuning Tips for Audio Processing" on the <www.native-instrument.com> website, that "latency" and/or buffer size may impact playback with smaller being potentially better with multicore processors (which I have). Article suggests running DPC Latency Checker "dpclat.exe" from the Thesycon website to assess if there is a system issue.

I will leave it up to experts to comment on this aspect of computer setup.

There was a small but worthwhile improvement with Integer mode but the overall presentation was flat congested, and uninvolving with a collapsed sound stage height and width I also heard some spurious hash/spatter over USB1 and Integer mode. However switching back to my trusty custom Intel Atom/Jriver/Win8/ASIO combo got the music back in spades.

There is a thread elsewhere about Gordin Rankin and some hardware issues with Mac machines that has recently revived.

Don't mean to be negative about Mac here, just sharing my experience.

None of these difficult issues have been a problem here; ASUS/Jriver/Win7/ASIO combo. The only difference between Pacwins experience and mine is that, I never had to change from Mac stuff to Win OS, I just use Win OS', and therefore the Mytek works perfectly here.

Jim

PC (J River-Jplay) > USB > Mytek 192 - DSD > XLR > Adcom GFP-750 Pre > XLR > Emotiva XPA-5 > Snell C/V's (bi-amped) / Klipsch Sub <100 Hz

Curious, I have a late model 2013 mac Mini (i7/8GB) which is used for Apple iOS development and I never use it for a personal every day computer. I hooked it up to the Mytek DAC and played some PCM files (Manu Katche Third Round, ECM 88.2/24) over USB1 vs USB1 Integer Mode 1 vs USB1 Integer Mode 2 vs USB2 non Integer (As you say doesn't light up). There was a small but worthwhile improvement with Integer mode but the overall presentation was flat congested, and uninvolving with a collapsed sound stage height and width I also heard some spurious hash/spatter over USB1 and Integer mode. However switching back to my trusty custom Intel Atom/Jriver/Win8/ASIO combo got the music back in spades. I can understand wanting to have integer mode but I couldn't put up with these compromises. Audirvana+ is also too minimalist for my liking. Bummer, but I think my experiment shows that the firmware is probably not relevant. Neither do I think it has anything to do with the custom implemented USBPAL USB front end (which is based on Cypress semiconductors FX2LP general purpose USB microcontroller and Spartan 3E FPGA) or the virtues of XMOS. Not sure barrows even owned a Mytek at the time he was making those prognostications.

In fact, I have tried some things who cured the problems I talked about (the "spurious hash/spatter"...) :

-using A+ in playlist mode only

-oversampling at 96KHz only (don't know why, but I still hear some f....g clics at 88KHz...)

-using a powdered usb cable : ifi audio iUsb with isoearth actived in my case (the usb between is really very basic) .

-and usb 1 in A+ prefs.

It's the only way to get integer mode work (very) well with my Mac/Mytek (so, only up to 96Khz, but I don't have dsd files at this time, and still can use FW if needed...)

I don't blame Mytek about this, but it would be more honest from them to tell that the problem with integer mode is hardware based, and their usb/FW receivers are unable to play through this mode (on Mac OS, at least).

And YES, integer mode is better here, and I'm not the only one to hear that...I can understand it's not the case with your system. I was personally using FW for 1 year 1/2, not even thinking about usb1, until I tried it 2 weeks ago...

Roon / audio-linux / dual PC / I2s FGPA Dac / analog tube processor / analog tube crossover / active speakers / dual subs / absorption+massive diffusion / ugly cat in the room

It's the only way to get integer mode work (very) well with my Mac/Mytek (so, only up to 96Khz, but I don't have dsd files at this time, and still can use FW if needed...)

Hello Yucca06;

Just wanted to make sure that you are aware of the fact that there are several free DSD downloads available on the net, that is if you have the time and inclination to do so.

Jim

PC (J River-Jplay) > USB > Mytek 192 - DSD > XLR > Adcom GFP-750 Pre > XLR > Emotiva XPA-5 > Snell C/V's (bi-amped) / Klipsch Sub <100 Hz

Hello Yucca06;

Just wanted to make sure that you are aware of the fact that there are several free DSD downloads available on the net, that is if you have the time and inclination to do so.

Jim

Yes, thanks.

In fact, I just have some demo files.

Not very interested with the things we can find online...There's no dsd for the music I usually hear : electro chillout, neo folk, postrock, atmospheric Metal...chamber classical music maybe, but not the interpretations I like, so...)

I bought the Mytek for his global SQ, not because he's dsd able...

Roon / audio-linux / dual PC / I2s FGPA Dac / analog tube processor / analog tube crossover / active speakers / dual subs / absorption+massive diffusion / ugly cat in the room

I bought the Mytek for his global SQ, not because he's dsd able...

the same with me. and for the great interface flexibility.

i am satisfied with redbook stuff. - recording quality becoming the key since i own the mytek.

i may choose to try dsd as soon as all related problems have been resolved.

in the meantime i enjoy PCM at very high level.

however, the latest firmware is truly beta. just updated and under windows xp with foobar2000 via fw, - even with save mode 3 - getting random drop outs. not that often, but never experienced that with any older firmware.

but what immediately annoyed me even more is the brighter display - regardless of choosing the lowest setting !

dubbio

Windows Notebook / Foobar2000 -> Mytek 192 DSD -> Lua 6060 Tube Amp -> T+A Speaker

Vinyl: Thorens TD320 / MC Rondo Red -> Threshold Fet Nine -> Lake People ADC C440 -> AES

HP: Denon AH-D7000

How you can play DSD128?

Audirvana Plus (FW) / Audio System setup:

- Native DSD method set to "Automatic Detection"

- 4 channels used in Stereo (un-tick the box: Use as stereo only)

Damien confirmed that the white noise fix would be available in the next (A+) release

Hi,

Just tried the new Mytek firmware 1.7.5b1 it works well, but I like to upsample 44.1Khz PCM to DSD 128 in foobar ASIO Native(usb 2) with the new firmware it will not play x128 upsmpled files(will play true DSD 128 flies) but will at x64 so for now I will use the old 1.7.1 firmware.

LinnLP12SE/SoleVIIIsubchassis/MoberDCsystempowersupply/Tranquility/Trampolin2/RoksanNima Unipivot+sKale/ZYX R50 Bloom3 L/Whest PS30R phono stage/ Cambridge Audio Azur 851A/Mytek Stereo 192 DSD DAC Firewire Audio Interface/Mytek Stereo192 ADC /TASCAM DA-3000 DSD Recorder/PCaudiolabs ROKbox MC7xs DAW[br]

however, the latest firmware is truly beta. just updated and under windows xp with foobar2000 via fw, - even with save mode 3 - getting random drop outs. not that often, but never experienced that with any older firmware.

dubbio

sorry don't want to bore anybody but i find this worth mentioned.

second evening using mytek with latest firmware. - no more drop outs during PCM.

display still more bright than before, which i don't like.

so it appears to be a good idea to perform a separate restart of mytek after firmware update.

initially i thought this was obsolete as a restart happens by default after firmware update.

Windows Notebook / Foobar2000 -> Mytek 192 DSD -> Lua 6060 Tube Amp -> T+A Speaker

Vinyl: Thorens TD320 / MC Rondo Red -> Threshold Fet Nine -> Lake People ADC C440 -> AES

HP: Denon AH-D7000

Thanks guys for suggestions. My budget is somehow limited at this moment even tough my imagination is not ;) (probably you know thet way ;))

I was thinking about getting Audiquest Forest FW IC (but will look at both suggestions from other posts) and Wireworld Starlight (the red one) as people seem to like it and it does not rob the bank.

Now I read something about that IC quality does not matter that much in case of USB / FW if the connection is asymmetrical which is the case for Mytek DAC.

I also read that Mytek is quite sensitive to AC quality and because that I am looking to get some upgraded power cord. Again it will be budget solution as I spent all my project money on the DAC already.

I was thinking about Wireworld Startus 5, I think it is called.

Any views on the above? Any more suggestions?

The Reward:

Free and completely legal source of 24/96 - 24/196 and DSD files ! Have a nice downloading of aprox 30gb of music :)

High Resolution Music DOWNLOAD services .:. FLAC in free TEST BENCH

Cheers

I can recommend three power cords : JPS Labs Digital AC, Clarity Cable Red, Sablon Audio (any of the tree they make). I would say try the Clarity first.

Tarq

I thought this might be of interest to some of you Mytek owners...

What you see in the photo is my Mytek DAC resting on a Stillpoints cones that are attached to a Stillpoints Component Stand (CS). The CS was added a couple weeks ago. Prior to that, the Mytek was resting only on the set of 3 Stillpoints cones, which were attached to Stillpoints threaded risers.

The CS delivered some pretty significant improvements. I had originally purchased the CS to use under my turntable, but after hearing what it's done for the Mytek, I cannot bring myself to pulling it out.

Bass has probably improved the most. Bass is much more articulate now - it's far easier to follow bass lines. Actually, this is true though across the entire frequency band as there's been a significant reduction in the smearing caused by vibration. Another plus is that the CS has eliminated much of the last bit of hardness that was present when listening to CD-quality rips.

Stillpoints has discontinued both the Component Stand and the Cones in favor of their newer Ultra SS line, which is supposedly a lot better. But prices on the used market have dropped on the older stuff making them quite the bargain. If you really want to hear more of what your Mytek DAC and do then you should give even just the cones a try.

Hope this was of interest.

Ken

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5437[/ATTACH]

I find it quite amazing how footers and platforms can help the sound, even though it is a relatively small amount. I have one of the tripod units in the picture, but do not have the room right now to use it. So I use three Cardas wood blocks to good effect. My opinion is this should be done after settling on power cords and interconnects. Just make hearing an improvement easier.

Tarq

Use a Virtual Dynamics cord on my Mytek, one with 3 conductors and heavy magnets at ends that was recommended for my former player (Wadia 861) by the Great Northern guys and Mapleshade brass cones and platform to very musical effect. Have tried Paladian Kimber and Synergistic cables on Mytek but the VD cable makes more, real music.

Tone with Soul

New firmware release 1.7.5.b.1 was posted today at Mytek Digital | HiFi

It includes a number of low level and functionality fixes including 128xDSD DOP (works with HQ Player, still tuning Audirvana).

Once we deem this stable it'll become a non beta release.

Thanks, MIchal at Mytek , New York

Hi, a bug with the latest 1.7.5b1, please check.

Using "ASIO Native" mode in foorbar2000, when trying to playback DSD files but the mytek has been occupied by other audio applications, foobar2000 will prompt "Unrecoverable playback error: Sample rate of 44100 Hz not supported by this device", and the front panel of mytek will display "dSd" and will never change back to 48kHz, etc. I need to power off and on to let it display 48kHz correctly again.

PC (64-bit Win8.1 RTM, foobar2000 ASIO Native DSD) -> USB2 -> Mytek 192 DSD DAC -> XLR -> ADAM S3X-H & RCA -> Lehmannaudio Blackcube Linear -> HD650

Well, here is MPD running on linux with a Mytek module. There had been no problem with the USB 2.0 connection to Mytek 192 under the firmware 1.7.1 but the module does not work with this 1.7.5.b.1, leaving the DAC unrecognized.

TW

Hi all, I'd like to correct my previous posting. After some tweaks including compiling a new MPD binary (mpd (0.17.4-DSD by Jurgen Kramer) and building a new kernel with mytekusb module (3.8.13-rt10), I got back my Mytek DSD DAC recognized by this new beta firmware. A Cubox Pro of 2G RAM with Arch linux was used for this connection.

With my current USB2 connection, the DAC recognizes only DSD64 files, that could be acceptable assuming that DoP playback of DSD128 using two stereo [email protected] is yet to be implemented for USB2.

Regards, TW

I'm crossposting this from Damien from another thread about 128xDSD and Audirvana

I've just released the public beta for 1.5 with Multichannel playback, and Audio Units plugins support.

The user manual is up to date.

It also includes:

Add command to scroll playlist to the currently playing track

DSD128 support for DoP 1.1 4x176.4kHz devices (Mytek)

In iTunes integrated mode, use the track start and finish settings (in iTunes track info settings) to play only the wished subset of the track

Remaining time display (toggle with total track time by clicking on it)

Bug fixes:

Fix gapless playback in Cue Sheets and when using dithered volume control

Fix last seconds of the last of a playlist being cut off in iTunes integrated mode

Airplay fix applied also for 10.8.3

Gapless playback even when using filters (sample rate converter and/or Audio Units)

And also sound quality improvement

You can get it here: Download Audirvana Plus BETA | Audirvana

Damien

I'm crossposting this from Damien from another thread about 128xDSD and Audirvana

Hi Michal,

Thank you for this info. I've just confirmed the DSD128 support by the public beta of Audirvana Plus for 1.5 works fine with the current beta firmware for Mytek with FW connection.

TW