Rate this topic

Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs, MFSL or MoFi, has remastered a number of significant recordings using such devices as the Gain System and a "high precision downconversion" from SAC to Redbook.

Yet, some MFSL CDs are said to not be as high a SQ as regular CD releases.  In one case the original tapes were unknown to MFSL, but there seem to be other examples of lower SQ.

I am curious as to which MFSL discs seem to you to be lower in SQ than the regular CDs and any info you have as to why that may have happened.

I’ll take the West German Harvest release of Pink Floyd’s “The Wall” over the MFSL gold CD every time. Why? The EQ choices made by Krieg Wunderlich, the mastering engineer at MFSL, were all wrong. Basically a smiley face EQ. 

By by the way, I own both masterings plus a couple more. 

18 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Is that the 1985 'Harvest' release in W. Germany?

Yes. I am listening to it right now. It’s sublime!

I was using a little too much hyperbole when I said the MFSL mastering engineer’s “choices were all wrong”. Most people seem to like the WG Harvest release the best. I certainly do! But, you should go with the mastering that sounds best to you.

My experience with MoFi SACD releases has been off putting - many more misses than hits IMO.