IGNORED

What's the consensus on ethernet cables?

10 hours ago, PeterSt said:

When you whip 10ft of the Cat5, there's a flubberish sound.

Doing the same with a Cat6, the sound becomes more firm, though plastic.

Cat7 is full of metal.

Do you like the Cat7 best against your back?

(honestly there are many good values! I use Belden bonded cables — Blue Jeans Cable is a good vendor because they will send a test report with the cable assembly)

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

My NAS is connected to my router with two ethernet cables, operating in parallel. I can't hear any difference whatsoever between CAT5e and CAT7.

I was using CAT5e from my wi-fi bridge to an sms-200. SOtM recommends CAT6 or better, so I bought an Audioquest Pearl CAT7 cable. I heard no change in the sound. I do hear clear differences in USB cables from the sms-200 to the DAC. 

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

18 hours ago, Lee Scoggins said:

What ethernet cables have members had success with?

Are there sound quality differences between Cat 5, Cat 6, and Cat 7 cables?

Is there a good value ethernet cable?

I use Synergistic Research Atmospehere X Ref USB and Ethernet cables.

Are they good value? Not in absolute terms.....for a simple cable their price is ridiculous. However in my system the USB cable sounded superior to a spaghetti solution of reclocker, PSU and 2 alternate high grade cables, so in relative terms based entirely on SQ yes.  The Ethernet Atmosphere X  Ref brought improvements in SQ similar to the USB cable.....extended frequency extremes,  sound stage focus, detail, transparency and most important naturalness. 

4 hours ago, crenca said:

You will need to consult an Audiophile what the sound of digital communication sounds like 😂

Now every body so far was serious. Try again ?

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

While it could be my imagination, SoTM Ethernet cable sounded better to me than Cardas and Audioquest diamond and vodka. 

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

Blue Jeans has shipped my Cat 6a cable out and it is scheduled to arrive tomorrow.  I'm going to hook it up to the DirectStream DAC via the Network Bridge and report back results.

Should be fun to finally use the Bridge and see album art on the DAC.  There is enough room to wedge the white Cat 6a between the carpet and the baseboard so it should be fairly unobtrusive as well.

Separately I got a note from Caelin Gabriel at Shunyata that they are beta testing some ethernet cables of their own design and that they are hearing sonic differences.  Sounds like they are going to offer a product in the future.

Can we start a "Show off your Cables" photo thread?  It could be very entertaining.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Anyone here who have measured them to see any graphical differences, plus participating in blind listening tests to check the auditive similarities, or slight variances?

Forget the money, I'm talking strictly sound quality between brands, construction, connectors, metallurgy, science, mathematics, physics, concrete factual studies. 

I'm interested in higher knowledge, in the-matter-of-fact truth.

19 minutes ago, Axial said:

Anyone here who have measured them to see any graphical differences, plus participating in blind listening tests to check the auditive similarities, or slight variances?

Forget the money, I'm talking strictly sound quality between brands, construction, connectors, metallurgy, science, mathematics, physics, concrete factual studies. 

I'm interested in higher knowledge, in the-matter-of-fact truth.

Specifically in an audio setting?  Who cares.  We have this giant electronics/internet/military industrial complex that is utterly dependant on the reliability of digital communication ( and thus ethernet cables).  This tiny niche of audio artisans and subjectivists have nothing (absolutely nothing) to contribute, not even "scientifically".   It's like Lee says, they "hear" things... 😋

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!