Jump to content
IGNORED

[How-To] WASAPI in Windows Server 2019 Core


Recommended Posts

  • AudioPhil pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello TubeMan!

Are you a Tube man as well, like me? 🙂

 

I once tried Wasapi. It was working OK. But sound-wise, there is no need to go that way. It sounds way inferior to other options (ASIO & KS). But anyway, it was ok on my system. Do you face any difficulties?

 

Design & Manufacture of High Fidelity Audio Equipment
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

My question regarding Wasapi is....does it help to improve the sound of bighead/nontallion...and or will it appear in the menu of nontaillion while choosing the driver....

and if it does....what would the correct second line exactly look like from /Source: drive letter...on  - my DVD drive is G: I am not that familiar with computer knowledge and on the other hand dare to be in core mode 2019 - but the paths and what to fill in whats exactly missing is a riddle for me....

My second question is...since AO is already installed - can the FOD be installed after the AO or do I have to make a complete new install to make it work...

I hope someone will notice this post since its a while that someone.....

Thank you for reading...

 

Michael

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello @Mouna

 

I am not 100% sure if I understood your first question correctly, but if id did, and if Nontallion supports WASAPI in general, yes then you will have a selectable output.

 

If you are not very computer savvy, core mode is definitely not for you, this is for sure.

 

You can also install FOD after AO, but it would be better doing things in the recommended order :) But of course, no reinstall required. Basically the first post of this thread let's you know everything you need to know. Follow it accordingly, in the right order, and you will be fine.

 

But again regarding core. I really doubt this is the right thing for you if you for example do not know how to navigate drives and directories in a DOS. And these are by far the simplest things which are waiting for you in Core so... if this a challenge for you, this is a definitive sign that core mode is to complex overall.

 

It might be the better way for you to just go with Server 2019 in GUI mode and AO 3.00. The difference between Core and GUI got smaller with each new server versions. So for most people the hassle isn't worth the results anymore, and all overs its the better way to stick with GUI.

 

Those easly able to master  DOS box etc, well yes of course then go for core!

 

Hope this helps a bit,

AudioPhil

ıllıllı [  ...AO 3.00 IS HERE... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

 

Shop | Core Audio Music Server | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

@AudioPhil I know you've written nice pdf guide for the various Windows versions. However, I was wondering if you've a step-by-step guide for installing WS 2019 in core mode? I need to run Roon server and HQPlayer Desktop on it.

 

WS 2019 GUI is very simple but I've not ventured in to core mode yet. WS 2019 GUI didn't sound as good to me as WS 2016. But I'm going to take another stab at WS2019 but this time in core mode. Hopefully I'm using the right build as well.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/28/2020 at 9:16 PM, shahed99 said:

@AudioPhil I know you've written nice pdf guide for the various Windows versions. However, I was wondering if you've a step-by-step guide for installing WS 2019 in core mode? I need to run Roon server and HQPlayer Desktop on it.

 

WS 2019 GUI is very simple but I've not ventured in to core mode yet. WS 2019 GUI didn't sound as good to me as WS 2016. But I'm going to take another stab at WS2019 but this time in core mode. Hopefully I'm using the right build as well.

 

 


this should give you a good starting point:

 

 

Best,

AudioPhil

ıllıllı [  ...AO 3.00 IS HERE... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

 

Shop | Core Audio Music Server | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Phil! I forgot to update that I was able to install WS2019 core mode just going through the guide you wrote. It was actually quite easy. Thank you for writing something so comprehensive. Only issue I had was with setting up static IP for my JCAT NET Card. For whatever reason, it seems to be using DHCP and working fine. Is there a downside of using DHCP in core mode?

 

My system is quite resolving. Having tried WS2019 GUI mode before, I'd say this - the difference between core and GUI in WS2019 is easily discernible. Core mode is quite a bit more transparent, less lean and the sound is purer and more intimate. I'm really liking it so far!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for sharing your wonderful experience.  For static IP setup, Phil provides the excellent set_ip script that you can use to tailor make your static IP need.

WS2019 Datacenter Core, dualPC, JPLAY Femto, AO3, Fidelizer Pro 8.6, MC46, BubbleUPnP.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you @thuandb. I've seen your helpful posts in Jplay forum :)

 

I've used Phil's set_ip script and also trying to use the underlying netsh command directly. But I was having issues with internet connectivity in my attempt to set static IP in both cases. Ping <whatever server name> wasn't returning anything. But somehow DHCP works in core mode and working flawlessly so far. Unless there's sound quality benefit of moving to static ip, I'm happy to keep it as is.

 

Core mode is honestly not complicated to setup and the sound quality gain over GUI is totally worth it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, shahed99 said:

Thank you @thuandb. I've seen your helpful posts in Jplay forum :)

 

I've used Phil's set_ip script and also trying to use the underlying netsh command directly. But I was having issues with internet connectivity in my attempt to set static IP in both cases. Ping <whatever server name> wasn't returning anything. But somehow DHCP works in core mode and working flawlessly so far. Unless there's sound quality benefit of moving to static ip, I'm happy to keep it as is.

 

Core mode is honestly not complicated to setup and the sound quality gain over GUI is totally worth it.

Enter "ipconfig /all" when in dhcp note. Write down the ip adress, subnet mask, gateway and dns server. 
 

the easiest way to do a fixed IP config is to just enter the identical data as noted above.

 

but be aware, sooner or later your dhcp server will assign the same IP address to another DHCP client. This will lead to problems (ip address conflict) and potentially both clients no longer work properly at all.

 

so the right way to do it is to use a free IP address which is outside of the scope of the dhcp server. So no ip address conflicts will occur and all will work as smooth as possible.

 

You only need a fixed IP if you plan to use the "disable network related services" feature of AO but still want to retain basic network connectivity for like a dual pc setup. So in your case i think its absolutely fine to go with dhcp.

 

best,

AudioPhil

ıllıllı [  ...AO 3.00 IS HERE... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

 

Shop | Core Audio Music Server | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, shahed99 said:

Thanks Phil! I forgot to update that I was able to install WS2019 core mode just going through the guide you wrote. It was actually quite easy. Thank you for writing something so comprehensive. Only issue I had was with setting up static IP for my JCAT NET Card. For whatever reason, it seems to be using DHCP and working fine. Is there a downside of using DHCP in core mode?

 

My system is quite resolving. Having tried WS2019 GUI mode before, I'd say this - the difference between core and GUI in WS2019 is easily discernible. Core mode is quite a bit more transparent, less lean and the sound is purer and more intimate. I'm really liking it so far!

You are very welcome :) Glad I could open this new chapter for you! 
 

ENJOY IT! 👍🏼

ıllıllı [  ...AO 3.00 IS HERE... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

 

Shop | Core Audio Music Server | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
On 4/11/2020 at 7:34 PM, hilpertti said:

Hi! I just got WASAPI working on 2019 core in exclusive mode, is there a way to get the shared mode working too? Asking because I need the room correction (Equalizer APO) :) I'm using Foobar...

shared mode?

ıllıllı [  ...AO 3.00 IS HERE... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

 

Shop | Core Audio Music Server | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, AudioPhil said:

shared mode?

Yes, in Foobar's output section I'm able to choose WASAPI as in event, push or shared mode. Event and push are exclusive, if I've understood correctly, which means that the windows's mixer and sound enhancements are bypassed, which means that I can't use Equalizer APO's room correction capabilities nor can I hear the sounds other than what Foobar is playing. So I would use the shared mode if possible... :) It not, then I'll need to switch back to GUI mode of Server 2019...

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, hilpertti said:

Yes, in Foobar's output section I'm able to choose WASAPI as in event, push or shared mode. Event and push are exclusive, if I've understood correctly, which means that the windows's mixer and sound enhancements are bypassed, which means that I can't use Equalizer APO's room correction capabilities nor can I hear the sounds other than what Foobar is playing. So I would use the shared mode if possible... :) It not, then I'll need to switch back to GUI mode of Server 2019...

 

this doesn't seem to be a audiophile optimizer issue (which is what this forum section is for) -- it's a foobar or windows server issue.  have you done web searches looking for info?

 

granted, phil is a windows server expert . . . .

sources:  intel nuc8i7 (win10, roon core, hqplayer) (server) | intel nuc8i5 (audiolinux, naa) (renderer)
headphone rig:  schiit yggdrasil (a2, unison) > bryston bha-1 > senn hd600
main rig:  chord dave > parasound jc2bp > parasound jc5 > kef reference 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2020 at 3:52 PM, jcn3 said:

 

this doesn't seem to be a audiophile optimizer issue (which is what this forum section is for) -- it's a foobar or windows server issue.  have you done web searches looking for info?

 

granted, phil is a windows server expert . . . .

Yes indeed, that is all very correct! :)

 

@hilpertti, "Shared Mode" is not advisable for serious audio playback. You should avoid the windows mixer like the devil does so with holy water.... :)

ıllıllı [  ...AO 3.00 IS HERE... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

 

Shop | Core Audio Music Server | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

It asks for the same ISO USB you used to install the OS.  Put it back in and AO installation should run with flying colors.

WS2019 Datacenter Core, dualPC, JPLAY Femto, AO3, Fidelizer Pro 8.6, MC46, BubbleUPnP.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Disable driver signature enforcement.  At reboot, hit and hold F8 function key until a list of options appears.  Select Disable driver signature enforcement then proceed to installing DAC driver.

WS2019 Datacenter Core, dualPC, JPLAY Femto, AO3, Fidelizer Pro 8.6, MC46, BubbleUPnP.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...