IGNORED

[How-To] WASAPI in Windows Server 2019 Core

AudioPhil

• AudioPhil pinned this topic
  • 8 months later...

Hello @Mouna

I am not 100% sure if I understood your first question correctly, but if id did, and if Nontallion supports WASAPI in general, yes then you will have a selectable output.

If you are not very computer savvy, core mode is definitely not for you, this is for sure.

You can also install FOD after AO, but it would be better doing things in the recommended order :) But of course, no reinstall required. Basically the first post of this thread let's you know everything you need to know. Follow it accordingly, in the right order, and you will be fine.

But again regarding core. I really doubt this is the right thing for you if you for example do not know how to navigate drives and directories in a DOS. And these are by far the simplest things which are waiting for you in Core so... if this a challenge for you, this is a definitive sign that core mode is to complex overall.

It might be the better way for you to just go with Server 2019 in GUI mode and AO 3.00. The difference between Core and GUI got smaller with each new server versions. So for most people the hassle isn't worth the results anymore, and all overs its the better way to stick with GUI.

Those easly able to master  DOS box etc, well yes of course then go for core!

Hope this helps a bit,

AudioPhil

ıllıllı [  ...AO 4.00 BETA... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

Shop | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/28/2020 at 9:16 PM, shahed99 said:

@AudioPhil I know you've written nice pdf guide for the various Windows versions. However, I was wondering if you've a step-by-step guide for installing WS 2019 in core mode? I need to run Roon server and HQPlayer Desktop on it.

WS 2019 GUI is very simple but I've not ventured in to core mode yet. WS 2019 GUI didn't sound as good to me as WS 2016. But I'm going to take another stab at WS2019 but this time in core mode. Hopefully I'm using the right build as well.

this should give you a good starting point:

Best,

AudioPhil

____________________________________________________________________________________

2 minutes ago, shahed99 said:

Thank you @thuandb. I've seen your helpful posts in Jplay forum :)

I've used Phil's set_ip script and also trying to use the underlying netsh command directly. But I was having issues with internet connectivity in my attempt to set static IP in both cases. Ping <whatever server name> wasn't returning anything. But somehow DHCP works in core mode and working flawlessly so far. Unless there's sound quality benefit of moving to static ip, I'm happy to keep it as is.

Core mode is honestly not complicated to setup and the sound quality gain over GUI is totally worth it.

Enter "ipconfig /all" when in dhcp note. Write down the ip adress, subnet mask, gateway and dns server. 

the easiest way to do a fixed IP config is to just enter the identical data as noted above.

but be aware, sooner or later your dhcp server will assign the same IP address to another DHCP client. This will lead to problems (ip address conflict) and potentially both clients no longer work properly at all.

so the right way to do it is to use a free IP address which is outside of the scope of the dhcp server. So no ip address conflicts will occur and all will work as smooth as possible.

You only need a fixed IP if you plan to use the "disable network related services" feature of AO but still want to retain basic network connectivity for like a dual pc setup. So in your case i think its absolutely fine to go with dhcp.

best,

AudioPhil

4 hours ago, shahed99 said:

Thanks Phil! I forgot to update that I was able to install WS2019 core mode just going through the guide you wrote. It was actually quite easy. Thank you for writing something so comprehensive. Only issue I had was with setting up static IP for my JCAT NET Card. For whatever reason, it seems to be using DHCP and working fine. Is there a downside of using DHCP in core mode?

My system is quite resolving. Having tried WS2019 GUI mode before, I'd say this - the difference between core and GUI in WS2019 is easily discernible. Core mode is quite a bit more transparent, less lean and the sound is purer and more intimate. I'm really liking it so far!

You are very welcome :) Glad I could open this new chapter for you! 

ENJOY IT! 👍🏼

• 1 month later...
On 4/11/2020 at 7:34 PM, hilpertti said:

Hi! I just got WASAPI working on 2019 core in exclusive mode, is there a way to get the shared mode working too? Asking because I need the room correction (Equalizer APO) :) I'm using Foobar...

shared mode?

On 4/13/2020 at 3:52 PM, jcn3 said:

this doesn't seem to be a audiophile optimizer issue (which is what this forum section is for) -- it's a foobar or windows server issue.  have you done web searches looking for info?

granted, phil is a windows server expert . . . .

Yes indeed, that is all very correct! :)

@hilpertti, "Shared Mode" is not advisable for serious audio playback. You should avoid the windows mixer like the devil does so with holy water.... :)