IGNORED

"Audiophile" SD Card Transport?

Doak

Optical Network connection works great, and makes everything upstream of the optical connection irrelevant in terms of noise etc.  No limits on sample rates either.  One can do whatever they want upstream (powerful computer oversampling to DSD 512 running HQPlayer, for example), and then what goes on in the actual audio system can be simple, and not compromised by any computer based "problems" (RFI, etc).  No need for expensive audiophile "servers" or endless server and Network tweaks.

opticalRendu to USB DAC, or optical Network input DAC, simple, and no tweaks needed for amazing sound quality.

I have listened to the Mirus Pro DACs via SD card, and it the SD card was no revelation in comparison to the USB input using an excellent USB source.  And navigating the card was tedious and tiresome at best.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

4 minutes ago, seeteeyou said:

It's been a recurring theme on this site, we're just doing our own things and then all of a sudden sponsors would chime in with a healthy dose of conflict of interests.

Hey @The Computer Audiophile, what's up with that?

It isn't allowed. Please use the report post function and I'll take care of it. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

@The Computer Audiophile

I was attempting to speak generally here, is that a problem?  Please contact me privately if so.  For example, Luminary's has a DAC with optical Network input...

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Hi Guys - It isn't always black & white when a site supporter chimes in a conversation. Barrows has been a member here since July 15, 2008. In that time he has worked for a few different audio companies but more than anything he has helped people and contributed quite a bit of knowledge to the site. 

When he offers information in a thread it's far different from the manufacturers who are here solely to promote products and who have recently jumped on our bandwagon. 

That said, blatant marketing is only allowed in a sponsored forum. I don't see Barrows' recent post as blatant marketing. If you disagree please PM me and we can chat.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Guys - It isn't always black & white when a site supporter chimes in a conversation. Barrows has been a member here since July 15, 2008. In that time he has worked for a few different audio companies but more than anything he has helped people and contributed quite a bit of knowledge to the site. 

When he offers information in a thread it's far different from the manufacturers who are here solely to promote products and who have recently jumped on our bandwagon. 

That said, blatant marketing is only allowed in a sponsored forum. I don't see Barrows' recent post as blatant marketing. If you disagree please PM me and we can chat.

Agree. Barrows spoke in generalities about transport types. Didn't push products he is involved with. I guess if we wanted to be very strict, we could ask that he not specifically mention the opticalRendu or write about a specific Sonore product in this type of thread. But it still seems to me the point he was trying to make is about optical in general and not pushing a product.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

On 1/29/2019 at 11:37 AM, Doak said:

Honestly, I have gotten blaze' regarding streamers/servers/transports and am thinking more seriously now about the beauty of "simple."

The closest thing to a "truism" I have encountered in 40+ years of "messing with" music reproduction systems is (to paraphrase Einstein): Simple sounds better - as long as it works. 

The above is a quote from the first post.  Looks to me like this thread is about whether (or not) an SD card transport could provide a simpler data path and better sound.  I was responding to that, from the basis of having some experience with an SD card transport, and various other transport methods.

Without comparing and contrasting there is no discussion at all, or learning.

SONORE computer audio

14 minutes ago, Doak said:

First SD card transport is on its way here.

Very basic, fairly inexpensive model which has a DAC but also transformer buffered coax and optical outs.

My expectations are not terribly high owing mostly to its price and the built in DAC, but who knows. I may be pleasantly surprised. 

What did you purchase, if you don't mind my asking.

6 minutes ago, Doak said:

While SD cards have been noted to be an excellent performing form of music file storage this previous post of mine in this thread should explain the rest:

But playing files from an SD card still requires a "computer" and a playback software system.  An SD card cannot directly output an I2S, real time, data stream to a DAC.  What this does is put a computer running playback software inside the DAC, exactly where you want the least noise...

SONORE computer audio

31 minutes ago, barrows said:

But playing files from an SD card still requires a "computer" and a playback software system.  An SD card cannot directly output an I2S, real time, data stream to a DAC.  What this does is put a computer running playback software inside the DAC, exactly where you want the least noise...

You may want to read SuperDad's post earlier in this thread.

He appears to grok what this is about.