IGNORED

"Audiophile" SD Card Transport?

Doak

I have been using the ECDesigns UPL exclusively for the past few months (as Norton mentioned: local player using USB sticks, no network). I do miss sometimes being able to "stream" any album, and am still trying to figure out whether to put my entire collection on USB sticks, or simply copy files as needed (which is what you are doing, Norton, if I understand).

I have a chromecast which I plug into one of the inputs of my preamp, and that lets me stream and listen to the radio when I want background music.

The SQ of the UPL is significantly better than any other streaming solution I have tried (and others who came to listen thought so as well), that it makes up for the inconvenience. At this point, my feeling is that you just cannot "have it all". Computer based network streaming simply does not offer the quality that you can get from this type of solution. Perhaps we will get there someday - until then...

Whether other card readers (such as the QLS) will offer the same quality, I am not sure.

It would be very interesting to compare either version of the SD Trans to the EC Deisgns UPL. 

One thing to keep in mind, is that the sound quality seems best when using both the UPL and ECDesigns' MOS DAC. The very low interference of the source is "preserved" with the MOS DAC: use of toslink input, custom designed PLL to handle the incoming toslink signal, build in battery power supply, novel mirror DAC architecture, etc.. Some of it is explained on ECDesigns' website, but most in that long DIYAudio thread you mentionned.

• 2 weeks later...

He did not claim there was less noise, just less power consumption.

The main advantage of SLC is durability and operating conditions (temperature). 

There have been studies done on power consumption and it really depends on how the data is read: less frequent reads of larger chunks do require less power but for frequent reads of small chunks standard drives may actually require less power.