IGNORED

"Audiophile" SD Card Transport?

Doak

2 hours ago, Doak said:

Great, will look at it carefully.

One striking, to me, aspect of ALL of the Chinese SD card players/streamers is the LACK of USB out.

Is USB truly on its way OUT??

No, it is just that USB out requires the machine to be a full host--thus processor card, OS, etc.  I have not looked closely at how they are implementing the SD-card slot and tracking reading, but the SD-card interface is very simple so perhaps they are keeping things simple on purpose.

Besides, wouldn't a USB output sort of defeat the whole point of this sort of player?!

8 hours ago, barrows said:

On this site there is a lot of conflicting information regarding playback from files stored on SD cards, we have people claiming that SD cards are actually the noisiest storage medium for playback, all the way to people claiming they are the quietest storage medium for playback.  Clearly there is no consensus when it comes to subjective evaluation, perhaps some measurements might add some clarity within all the "noise".

Well what is clear is that nobody is discussing (nor are players revealing) what SD card transfer modes are being used.  I know that no players are using the cards in the SPI bus mode (no file system support in that but one could store and retrieve files with not much processing), but I hope that some are using the one-bit SD bus mode. Or maybe there could be some advantage to the "Two differential lines SD UHS-II mode."

Read here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital#Transfer_modes

And what of the voltage being used?  3.3V or 1.8V?  

God and the devil are always in the details...:D