IGNORED

"Audiophile" SD Card Transport?

Doak

Honestly, I have gotten blaze' regarding streamers/servers/transports and am thinking more seriously now about the beauty of "simple."

The closest thing to a "truism" I have encountered in 40+ years of "messing with" music reproduction systems is (to paraphrase Einstein): Simple sounds better - as long as it works. 

Over the past 10+ years I've done computer audiophile type stuff and then 4 years or so ago on to commercial streamers/transports/servers.  IMO it is STILL too damned complicated and a real hassle to optimize it all for best SQ.  I've heard hints over the years about SD cards being  capable of excellent SQ .... and some say that CF cards are even better but will table that discussion for now.  My research, though not painstakingly thorough, has not turned up a viable non-DIY product that fits my schema for a PnP SD Card "Server". Best solution is probably as offered in top level Resonessence DACs where SD slot is built into their top level model ($5-6K) but I would rather not give up my Lampizator nor throw that much $$ at this project.

So, how about an SD card transport with USB/I2S  output plus either a built in screen, HDMI out to monitor or WiFi w/app control?

If there is anything out there that even roughly resembles the above description I would love to know about it. If not, maybe we can generate some interest for product development.

*BTW: I am aware of the ongoing (several years) MicroSD Memory Card Transport Project and it IMO does not meet the criteria I have specified.

5 hours ago, Norton said:

in spirit if not letter of request:

https://www.ecdesigns.nl/en/info/upl16

I use one with companion DAC -  best RBCD replay I’ve heard for detail retrieval.  <€800 the pair.

Alternatively, you can get good s/h deals on the Resonessence Mirus (factory upgradeable to signature pro spec)

Thanks for your post, Norton. 

Your latter suggestion is one I am pursuing, not w/o trepidation however. 

I do kind of Love my Lampizator. 🤓

2 hours ago, Norton said:

I have the Resonessence Mirus  too, but if you are prepared to gamble €800, I’d still suggest trying the EC designs player and DAC.  My wholly subjective opinion is that it’s a remarkable combination.  But only for 16/44 WAV (24/96 for more €) and navigation by numbered folders and tracks.

Thanks, wish the EC was my cuppa tea .... I play DSD and hi-res PCM for most of my listening.

Having dug fairly deeply into the Tirana HiFi thread, I can now say that I feel that DIY thread is not anywhere near what I consider a “solution” of the type specified in my original post. 

While I would not dream of having an SD card music transport as my only nor my primary means of playing digital music, I’d love to have the option - while still being able to utilize a DAC of my choice. Why? Simplicity AND top sound quality. The latter reason is what is spurring on the two DIY threads mentioned here.  

Time to throw down the gauntlet to those with the technical know-how to produce a viable product. Being a vinylphile who has, at last, fallen for digital I liken such an SD transport to a turntable of sorts - like picking a record of your choice off of the shelf putting it on (in) the the player then push a button or two to play it. 

2 hours ago, Norton said:

Too bad you can’t learn  to love RBCD...the more you post, the more I think the ECD combo could be what you are looking for.  I too am a vinyl fan, with c 4K lps, plus a decent hires/DSD library too, but I’ve been bowled over by this kit.  The combination of simplicity with super detail and  unfatiguing,  airy presentation is addictive.

I have no relationship with ECD other than as a satisfied recent customer. I’ll shut up about it now.

The ECD thingee  is a neat setup, though definitely not for me.  Hi-res and DSD  is what it took for me to take digital seriously.

9 hours ago, kelvinwsy said:

6moons audio review of the Soundaware D300Ref gives this microSD card player top marks

https://6moons.com/audioreviews2/soundaware4/1.html

Thanks, I had seen this solution and the Soundaware is what got me thinking about a stand-alone SD card solution. If/when I want to get away from my Auralic Aries it will be on my short list.... though no USB out does present a problem.

29 minutes ago, Norton said:

Well there’s always this

https://www.lessloss.com/laminar-streamer-sd-player-p-207.html

might be worth buying two to get the 5% discount...

HA! Yes,  I'd been following THAT one and hoping for some "trickle down." 

I did download their free poster though: 

https://www.lessloss.com/docs/LessLoss-Laminar_Streamer-POSTER-700x450mm.pdf

Found this one on AliExpress:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/R-018-HDP2-24Bit-HIFI-Music-Digital-Turntable-Player-DSD-PCM-CS4398-DAC-Remote-Control-SDHC/1070003_32865283913.html?spm=2114.10010108.1000023.18.40036cc7fJC978

R-018 HDP2 24Bit HIFI Music Digital Turntable Player DSD PCM CS4398 DAC Remote Control SDHC 256G

It has coax and toslink outs among other goodies and while not cheap appears to be PnP ready. 

Would appreciate others looking this one over and offering their comments, opinions, additions. 

Another interesting though significantly more expensive AliExpress find:

R-005 D7 HiFi AC110V/220 Input 24bit 192K Digital Output Home Audio Digital SACD/DSD/HIFI lossless Music Player

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/D7-Hifi-Home-Audio-Digital-Lossless-Music-Player-24bit-192-k-Digital-Output-AC-110V-220V/1070003_32816466710.html?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.5c1e3d37Zf7t1a

This one is transport only (no DAC) and quite flexible (NO USB out though!).

Shove a 2.5" HDD right into the slot in the back or an SD card in the side.

25 minutes ago, tapatrick said:

Have you looked at the QLS players? I believe they are highly rated, and a reliable brand but I haven't tried one...

A better bet -  I'd be wary unless you can find someone who has tried the Aliexpress ones

http://www.qlshifi.com/en/index.htm

http://www.qlshifi.com/en/wzcapi/qa661.htm

Great, will look at it carefully.

One striking, to me, aspect of ALL of the Chinese SD card players/streamers is the LACK of USB out.

Is USB truly on its way OUT??

qa661_3b.jpg

20 minutes ago, Superdad said:

No, it is just that USB out requires the machine to be a full host--thus processor card, OS, etc.  I have not looked closely at how they are implementing the SD-card slot and tracking reading, but the SD-card interface is very simple so perhaps they are keeping things simple on purpose.

Besides, wouldn't a USB output sort of defeat the whole point of this sort of player?!

Gotcha Alex, thanks.

This is the kind of info I was hoping to get by "going public" with my quest. 

The FLAC spec here is not encouraging:

QA661 User’s Guide

AIFF :16/24bit,44.1~192KHz; 

FLAC :16/24bit,44.1~48KHz,compression level 0~8;

APE :16bit,44.1KHz,compression level Fast & Normal;

ALAC :16bit,44.1KHz;

MP3 :16bit,44.1~48KHz,Code rate 96kbps~320kbps,CBR、VBR、ABR encoding;

DIFF :DoP v1.0,DSD64 encoding, 1bit, Stereo;

DSF :DoP v1.0,DSD64 encoding, 1bit, Stereo;

SACD :SACD ISO mirror files,DoP v1.0,DSD64 encoding, 1bit, Stereo;

CUE :WAV/AIFF/FLAC/APE/ALAC can be related to CUE,ANSI、UNICODE、 UTF-8 encoding

Digital audio sans computer, WiFi, networks, iOS, Windows, Android, etc. is feeling more and more appealing to me, as it is appearing more and more doable. When considering all of the k-rap that gets lost in that process ....like a dream come true? 

No doubt it will have its own hassles, but tired of "dicking with" and wasting time with the "technology."

Simplify, simplify, simplify (as long as it still works). 

@Norton & Hopkins: You Guys have reinforced that I’m heading in the proper direction. Wish I had the hours, probably hundreds, that I’ve lost when I could have been and wanted to be listening to music. Glad you are enjoying and happy with your solution.  Not sure where my quest will lead or end, but here we go! 

On 2/2/2019 at 2:38 PM, tapatrick said:

Have you looked at the QLS players? I believe they are highly rated, and a reliable brand but I haven't tried one...

A better bet -  I'd be wary unless you can find someone who has tried the Aliexpress ones

http://www.qlshifi.com/en/index.htm

http://www.qlshifi.com/en/wzcapi/qa661.htm

Taking a close 2nd look at this player after carefully studying a lot of players from competitor Shinrico.

The only thing I don't see on the QLS is an I2S out, plus the apparent need to convert FLAC to WAV (or other format) to use it for high resolution music files. 

Thanks for the pointer.

18 hours ago, gstew said:

The Granddad of SD card players is the SDTrans384. You can see the large thread on it at DIYAudio here:

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/142562-microsd-memory-card-transport-project.html?highlight=sdtrans384

AND info on how to get one when the infrequent group-buys are run here:

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/260565-gb-sdtrans384-micro-sd-card-digital-transport.html?highlight=sdtrans384

BTW, Tachyon is doing a run of the units right now, with the last price I saw about 43,000 JPY (about $400 USD).

I've been running one as a digital source for 3-4 years now, feeding a wildly modified Soekris DAM DAC. I modified the SDTran too last summer. It's been the main digital source in one of my systems for about 2 years now and I listen to it on a daily basis. 

Here's my setup as of a couple of years ago before my latest mods to both the SDTrans and the Soekris DAC and my latest power scheme:

685520_2017-09-22GASSDTrans-SoekrisDAM.thumb.jpg.56c2ee37a3a38378bc1f67ffada909d9.jpg

The SDTrans384 was designed by pretty fanatic Japanese audiophiles. The unit, like most digital audio gear, performs better with very good power. At one point they were using large light bulbs to feed solar cells to power the player and their related DAC. Most recently they have been using a fairly extensive set of AC-connected supplies... see picture. I power mine with 2 Uptone Audio LPS-1.2's with each feeding 1/2 of an MPAudio MD-HPULN power supply and the outputs of each half paralleled to provide a lower output impedance (the current draw of the player is less than 500mA). It has S/PDIF, PS Audio-styled LVDS I2S over HDMI, and logic-level I2S outputs and will play up to 384 & DSD256. The SDTrans384 does not decode FLAC or other compression schemes (that's how limited the FPGA is!), the TiNaHiFi one does some.

MusicBird20170212.jpgIMG_0799_JPG_3f25eaf9ae366be6df30fd4f08c6b840 Small.jpg

Ok, it is my favorite and best digital source. AND I suspect the much less expensive one in the TirNaHiFi thread will challenge it after appropriate mods, though I also suspect applying the same mods to the SDTrans would keep it ahead of that challenger. I have a couple of the TirNaHiFi ones here from regular Ebay to modify & compare. BUT the best output of the SDTrans384 is the I2S AND that is the only output of the one on TirNaHiFi, which doesn't do you a lot of good, Doak. 

I looked strongly at the QLS QA661 when it first came out and have followed ECDesign's monster TDA1541 DAC DIYAudio thread for years, where he chronicles his DAC developments over the years and occasionally drops hints on his SD Card players. I my thoughts, after digging into the QLS units as much as I could without having one, was that the SDTrans384 was probably a better sounding option the way I would use it.

I'd say anything by ECDesigns would be top of the heap, with the SDTrans384 a good strong second along with possibly the TirNaHiFi player. BUT they are DIY projects with no USB output. 

Alex nails it above. Getting USB output would require a full computer of some sort... and you'd be back in USB optimization world. The SDTrans384 uses a fairly dumb FPGA for processing, the TirNaHiFi card a small ARM processor. I don't see anyone doing that in the near future, playing off SD Cards is super hair shirt and it took me awhile to get a sufficient amount of my library on SD Cards to keep me satisfied 90% of the time. Most people won’t put up with that AND no streaming… not a sufficiently large market.

BUT given the Lampizator’s DIY roots, you might ask what it would take to modify it to accept an I2S or I2S over HDMI input, especially if they could retain any other existing digital source selections. That MIGHT give you a chance to have your cake and eat it too, for a price.

Still, the limitations of SD Card playback alone (AND I don’t stream at all) have me trying hard to get my other main I2S sources (mostly Raspberry Pis) up to the SDTrans384 level. I was heartened that when I modified one with linear regulators replacing the on-board DC-DC converters and with a dual LPS-1.2 / MPAudio power supply as above, it was about as good as my SDTrans384 setup with a lower-quality power supply. I now am watching what Allo.com is doing to make some improved SBCs… that might be what puts them over the top. OR once the EtherRegen is available, maybe the expected isolation of any prior network gear may push what I have now into that same level. We will see!

In the meantime, I’m buying a 2nd SDTrans384 so I can further modify the one I have and have a backup if I break it!

Greg in Mississippi

Hello Greg,

Detailed info is much appreciated. I've perused the ongoing thread though decided that it is way more than I can or am willing to take on. Pretty much seeking an off the shelf solution and with more in an out options. 

If you get a chance, would appreciate your take on this "solution"

http://www.shinrico.net/en/produce_view.asp?id=632

BTW: I'm 'right next door' in SE LA. (Lousiana - that is)

10 minutes ago, gstew said:

Doak,

Good to know you are near. Not a lot of other Audiophiles that I've found here in MS... especially wild DIY'ers AND especially in the rural northeast MS. I DO get down to the MS coast 1-2 times a year, will reach out to you!

BTW, I vaguely remember you may have been the one who sent me a sheet of Dynamat Extreme for damping the bottom of a Well-Tempered-Lab turntable back in the late 1990's or early 2000's. If that was you, thanks again!

No I2S on the QLS player puzzled me... then I checked and it was the QA660, currently out of stock, that had I2S output. Looks like they discontinued that model.

On the QA661, I2S IS surely available on the board somewhere, maybe inquire if they can provide information for modifying it to bring it external?

I'll look at the Shinrico unit.

Later!

Greg in Mississippi

Hey,,, although I do not specifically recall the "DynaMat incident" that has "me" written all over it. 

I did the same on my Well Tempered in the 90's, so there ya go.

Using the WTA now and loving it.

My continuing search and survey of off the shelf devices that will play digital music from an SD card, and often additional storage mechanisms,  with no reliance on a computer, network, WiFi, etc. has developed several products that fit the bill. The candidates I've located range in cost from approx $250 to $1400. It makes some sense that this type of digital music transport exists since universal access to technology is not a reality. 

My intention is to get one or more examples in house in the coming weeks. In the meantime I would very much appreciate hearing and learning from anyone has experience with such, particularly those who are using or have used them in their audio systems. 

The post below appeared on the "Super Best Audio Friends" Forum (offshoot of Head-Fi) in June 2016. IMO "Hands" has it right:
"So, instead of dumping a ton of research, effort, and money into a million different PC builds and tweaks, then pairing it with multiple USB decrapifiers and SPDIF bridges, or even a PCIe SPDIF card, I thought my money would be better spent on something like the D100. $850 isn't cheap, but it's still less than trying to screw around with PCs and devices spun off from that, not to mention a whole hell of a lot easier to setup and run. That's also MUCH less than you'd pay for almost any other device with similar specs and capabilities. I mean, shit, look at Aurender...you can do a whole lot worse than $850.

Again, I know some are tied to PC setups for one reason or another. Some of that it just because of particular software options, some out of convenience, etc. I also won't pretend that the D100 doesn't have a few minor quirks, just, for me, nothing that really gets in the way whatsoever or bothers me. If I really need gapless playback, I re-rip my CD and get the cue file. The UI is surprisingly good once you work your way around it but, no, not always as perfect as easy as a KB/M with Jriver Media Center. There are worse things in life, and it's worth the sound quality to me.

Will repeat myself over and over and over that tastes vary and the D100 could sound worse on another DAC. It could also be bias. Yada yada blah blah."
Hands
H