IGNORED

2L Magnificat Multichannel track

I have been using Arnesen: MAGNIFICAT 4. Et misericordia Nidarosdomens jentekor & TrondheimSolistene from 2L.no as one of my reference for a number of years. Due to my NAS failure, I was rearranging all my music files where I noticed that the very first download of the Magnificat was a 4 channel track and NOT 5.1. Anyone else got the 4.0 track? BTW, I have 2.0 and 5.1 version too.

1 hour ago, STC said:

No one? How about you, @Kal Rubinson? I think this is important because that means the original recording was probably  4 channel track and subsequently scaled to 5.1 and 9.1. 

That might be a reasonable inference but I don't think it is certain.  I do not have a 4.0 version but Morten might have made one by down-mixing. 😉

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

2 hours ago, mansr said:

They are probably different mixes made from a recording with even more channels.

1 hour ago, Kal Rubinson said:

That might be a reasonable inference but I don't think it is certain.  I do not have a 4.0 version but Morten might have made one by down-mixing. 😉

The original recordings were made with 5.1 format and later the extra 4 height channel layer added for 9.1 format. But why 4.0? I must have gotten it from the testbench in 2014 or 2015. 

In the booklet, I don't see microphones for height information. Most likely the were added later in mixing. Artificial height sound?

11 hours ago, STC said:

The original recordings were made with 5.1 format and later the extra 4 height channel layer added for 9.1 format. But why 4.0? I must have gotten it from the testbench in 2014 or 2015. 

In the booklet, I don't see microphones for height information. Most likely the were added later in mixing. Artificial height sound?

Look at this photo from the 2L website:

image.thumb.png.bf3047bac5445985adbef65a885c74d7.png

You can see 9 microphones on a pole in front of the conductor.