IGNORED

Article: Lumin U1 Streaming Transport Review

58 minutes ago, One and a half said:

DAC I use works best with coax rather than USB, Yggdrasil, Berkerley DACs top of my head, sound better than USB.  I let Roon convert DSD256 (highest rate file I own) to PCM either 192 or 176.4 (can't remember exactly) direct to the U1 and it passes through x 1 to the DAC.

If DSD to PCM has to be done due to the DAC accepting PCM only from an AES / SPDIF / Toslink input, from a mathematical point of view, I would suggest converting it to 176.4kHz instead of 192kHz.   DSD64 is 2822400 Hz, divided by 176400 Hz it gives an integer value 16.  If divided by 192000 Hz it results in 14.7.  So if a DAC plays 176.4kHz and 192khz equally well, I think the former may be better.  An exception would be a DAC (hypothetically) hardware only has a base clock which is a multiple of 48kHz, with a 44.1kHz derived from the 48kHz, then one will have to listen to find out which sounds better.

As for DSD512, the story is this: Linux based streamers such as Lumin U1 (MINI) and several other streamers popular in this forum require a Linux native DSD compatible USB DAC for DSD512 to be played.  Recent XMOS based DAC and recent Esoteric models do.  Those DAC using Amanero USB board running older stable firmware and SaviAudio USB chip do not support native DSD256 or native DSD512 with Linux.  Users of such DAC are limited to using Windows USB (with a required driver, typically ASIO) as a source if they desire DSD512 playback.

For DSD256, it has another possible condition of working even if a DAC is not Linux native DSD compatible - if it supports DoP256 it will still work with Lumin U1 (MINI) - however, not all DSD256 DAC support DoP256 - only some do.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

6 minutes ago, wklie said:

If DSD to PCM has to be done due to the DAC accepting PCM only from an AES / SPDIF / Toslink input, from a mathematical point of view, I would suggest converting it to 176.4kHz instead of 192kHz.   DSD64 is 2822400 Hz, divided by 176400 Hz it gives an integer value 16.  If divided by 192000 Hz it results in 14.7.  So if a DAC plays 176.4kHz and 192khz equally well, I think the former may be better.  An exception would be a DAC (hypothetically) hardware only has a base clock which is a multiple of 48kHz, with a 44.1kHz derived from the 48kHz, then one will have to listen to find out which sounds better.

As for DSD512, the story is this: Linux based streamers such as Lumin U1 (MINI) and several other streamers popular in this forum require a Linux native DSD compatible USB DAC for DSD512 to be played.  Recent XMOS based DAC and recent Esoteric models do.  Those DAC using Amanero USB board running older stable firmware and SaviAudio USB chip do not support native DSD256 or native DSD512 with Linux.  Users of such DAC are limited to using Windows USB (with a required driver, typically ASIO) as a source if they desire DSD512 playback.

For DSD256, it has another possible condition of working even if a DAC is not Linux native DSD compatible - if it supports DoP256 it will still work with Lumin U1 (MINI) - however, not all DSD256 DAC support DoP256.

Roon complicates the process a little bit which I should have elaborated on. DSD64 for example is converted to 352.8 PCM (8 x 44.1) internally, and then to 176.4 ( 4 x 44.1) PCM for the coax to the DAC. 

This is the custom table in Roon for other frequencies above 192. 

image.thumb.png.bef0ab7f4ac087617b4327bb33674c6a.png

This is the chain for a Mutec connected locally to the machine ASIO driver playing a DSD256 file . The U1 is asleep for now, powered off.

image.thumb.png.d52d184ab4860bbbfd5a74d9f6b29354.png

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

I'm using a windows PC connected to my T+A Dac8 and is working fine, so for now I'll stay that way. Thanks anyway.

Synology 415+ NAS > CAT 6 Cable > Mac Mini > Curious USB Cable > T+A DAC 8 DSD > Avantgarde Acoustic XLR Cable> Avantgarde Acoustic Model Three Integrated Amplifier > Avantgarde Acoustic Speaker Cable > Avantgarde Acoustic UNO NANO Speakers

On 1/31/2019 at 5:31 AM, Cgrossi said:

Thank you One and a half. This is a very valuable information and it changes the whole approach. I'll continued seaching for an streamer that can upsample to DSD512 through my T+A DAC8. Any suggestions?

The problem is the T+A DAC itself, not the Renderer.  T+A needs to change their USB receiver to be compatible with native DSD from Linux based Renderers.  Most (if not all) Renderers use Linux based OSs for very good reasons.

BTW, there is firmware for the Amanero USB receiver which is now stable with DSD 256, native DSD, from a Linux based renderer, i use it every day.

For DSD 512 via a Linux based Renderer, i would recommend XMOS based USB receivers, they are entirely capable-DAC manufacturers, are you listening?

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

5 hours ago, barrows said:

BTW, there is firmware for the Amanero USB receiver which is now stable with DSD 256, native DSD, from a Linux based renderer, i use it every day.

Which version?  1099c?  Thanks.

Reading this https://github.com/lintweaker/xmos-native-dsd/issues/12

Based on the posts there, it seems that some people still have various issues, or not able to get DSD512 to play perfectly.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

A late comment on this – in case it would help anyone pondering a similar move. I part-exchanged my Aurender X100L for a U1 simply so I could use Roon, which feeds from a server to my two other outlets. I hoped for a comparable sound quality. I was not prepared for an incomparably better sound quality, far more detail, much better separation. A bit too sharp at first but settled down. Of course that's not a top of range Aurender I was using, so to that extent an unfair comparison. Oh, aqd absolutely obviously bits are not just bits...

Desktop: SonicTranporter i7, Ubiquiti switch, optical, OpticalRendu, Musician Pegasus, Linear Tube MicroZOTL 3, ZMF Verite Open

Main: SonicTransporter i7, Uniquiti switch, optical, EtherRegen, Lumin U1, Bricasti M3, Naim 252/250, DeVore Gibbon Nines