IGNORED

Isolation feet for Audio Gear

wdw

On 1/28/2019 at 2:34 PM, Ralf11 said:

I think it is a useful engineering question as to whether an electronic audio device can - or should- be designed so that external isolation devices are not needed (i.e. will not improve SQ).

The real question for the consumer however is whether a given type of device (sand table, cones, spikes, rubber dampeners, roller balls) will improve SQ.  Next, how much must be spent, are $$ better allocated elsewhere, etc.

It can be very helpful if the consumer has a basic understanding of physics, electronics, and acoustics.

Interestingly, Audio Research changed from a metal top cover to a polycarbonate on their tube gear some years ago, and Cambridge Audio says their DacMagic DAC has specially designed feet ...

I agree with you to about 90% Ralf, I think there are situations where a manufacturer installs completely random .01 cent feet that they bought by the Chinese skiff load. Then there are speakers which as mechanical devices versus a purely electrical one like the other audio gear has vibrations inherent in it which some manufacturers go to some extreme lengths and expense to eliminate, others not so much... Less so if you don't put your bookshelf speaker on a stand.

No electron left behind.

3 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

Screen Shot 2019-01-30 at 1.04.57 AM.png

How about a swap tomorrow ? Consecutive days of >30C is exhausting.

http://www.bom.gov.au/places/nsw/cooranbong/forecast/detailed/#d2019-01-31

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Hey WDW,

I was looking at my system the other day and it occurred to me that one of my power supplies is poorly situated on the glass shelf of a large TV stand. The power supply replaced a nasty little SMPS brick, so of course it sounded a lot better, but as I stated in my posts, all components’ sound is coloured by their support. I remembered your post about the IsoAcoustics Orea Bronze and their excellent value proposition, so I’m going to give them a try under my PS. Thanks for the heads-up 

1 hour ago, Blackmorec said:

Hey WDW,

I was looking at my system the other day and it occurred to me that one of my power supplies is poorly situated on the glass shelf of a large TV stand. The power supply replaced a nasty little SMPS brick, so of course it sounded a lot better, but as I stated in my posts, all components’ sound is coloured by their support. I remembered your post about the IsoAcoustics Orea Bronze and their excellent value proposition, so I’m going to give them a try under my PS. Thanks for the heads-up 

Will be interested to read your observations following the install.  I have an SBooster PS used with my ROON ROCK and have been wondering about the efficacy of a set of Bronze underneath that power supply. Cheers

• 2 months later...

I do not understand why so much virtual ink is wasted on lamenting over why manufacturers do not optimize their products. This wailing has been going on regarding other things like stock power cords, binding posts, etc. Manufacturers build to a price point and profit goal - simple. They'll rather leave the rest for us to take care of, afterall, we always did, and continue to do so. No need singing the same dirge ad infinitum. 

In other news, I purchased Isoacoustics Gaias a week ago from a buddy who lent it to me to try in place of the stock spikes underneath my Acoustic Zen Crescendos (please don't ask why the manufacturer didn't provide the best feet with the product - see preceding paragraph). 

After one listening session, I knew I had to buy these. Mind you, my speakers sit on carpet, in a basement with concrete flooring underneath, and so I thought I wouldn't need anything but to spike them to the carpet. The Gaias have opened up the soundstage, added needed body across the board and allowed hitherto hidden  detail to come forth.

These are a no brainier for speakers for me moving forward. 

On 1/25/2019 at 10:20 AM, wdw said:

We don't have a forum for Isolation/Support equipment so am posting here.  

I recently installed a series of ISoAcoustics Orea isolation footers below my Devialet equipment.  (integrated DAC/Pre/Amp in a milled aluminum case)  

Due to the extremely rigid milled enclosure of the Devialet I had limited expectations that these footers would offer much, if any improvement, but the opposite was clearly audible without much needed for back and forth A/B comparisons.  Sound was more energetic with sharper musical definition between massed instruments and, surprisingly, cleaner and more articulate bass lines.

IsoAcoustics is a Canadian firm which has, historically, served the Pro market and are now moving into the home audio market and happily their price points are quite sane.  Not the range of the Ted Denny magic bean stuff.  They also make speaker footers and are now releasing set for a series of Titan footers for heavier speakers such as B&W and Magico.  I've used the Indigo at the base of the lower D440 and the Bronze in-between the two units.  The Bronze sells for $69 CAD and $50 USD with three required as a minimum.

I highly recommend that you have a listen if you have the opportunity .  I am confident they offer improvements.  Still surprised that mechanical isolation of relatively massive electronics can produce a more coherent sound.  

Link below:

http://www.isoacoustics.com

36490-ae5f7ebdc35fdf3b67274670757efdc0.jpg.png

Interesting product.  I'm curious about:

1.  Whether the performance gains were instantaneous or if the products first had to go through a settling in period of time?

2.  What platform (shelf, rackiing system, grandma's coffee table, etc) the Devialet is placed on? 

3.  What footers were you using prior to the IsoAcoustics, e.g. stock footers, etc?

4.  I viewed their website but I couldn't find anything describing specific materials used in their products?  Do you happen to know the various materials used?

Thanks,

The more I dabble with extreme forms of electrical mgmt. and extreme forms of vibration mgmt., the more I’m convinced it’s all just variations of managing mechanical energy. Or was it all just variations of managing electrical energy? No, it’s all just variations of mechanical energy. Wait.  It's all just variations of managing electrical energy.  -Me

I’ve recently installed the Isoacoustics Gaia II’s under my JL Audio F112 sub where they replaced the stock feet (some hard rubbery type of foot) and they’ve surely improved the tightness of the bass. It sounds more clean now or somewhat ‘faster’. Not night and day differences but I’m very happy with the improvement.

2 hours ago, adamaley said:

I do not understand why so much virtual ink is wasted on lamenting over why manufacturers do not optimize their products. This wailing has been going on regarding other things like stock power cords, binding posts, etc. Manufacturers build to a price point and profit goal - simple. They'll rather leave the rest for us to take care of, afterall, we always did, and continue to do so. No need singing the same dirge ad infinitum. 

In other news, I purchased Isoacoustics Gaias a week ago from a buddy who lent it to me to try in place of the stock spikes underneath my Acoustic Zen Crescendos (please don't ask why the manufacturer didn't provide the best feet with the product - see preceding paragraph). 

After one listening session, I knew I had to buy these. Mind you, my speakers sit on carpet, in a basement with concrete flooring underneath, and so I thought I wouldn't need anything but to spike them to the carpet. The Gaias have opened up the soundstage, added needed body across the board and allowed hitherto hidden  detail to come forth.

These are a no brainier for speakers for me moving forward. 

I too have speakers that sit on carpeted concrete flooring.  I use the Isoaccustics Giai II's and agree that there is a definite improvement over the original spikes.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

On 4/14/2019 at 2:18 AM, shtf said:

Interesting product.  I'm curious about:

1.  Whether the performance gains were instantaneous or if the products first had to go through a settling in period of time?

2.  What platform (shelf, rackiing system, grandma's coffee table, etc) the Devialet is placed on? 

3.  What footers were you using prior to the IsoAcoustics, e.g. stock footers, etc?

4.  I viewed their website but I couldn't find anything describing specific materials used in their products?  Do you happen to know the various materials used?

Thanks,

Check out the thread on Devialetchat.... Tweakers Corner, for a four or five page acknowledgement to the efficacy of these footers

it is refreshing that this very professional group doesn’t lower into the mythos/mystery of the Ted Denny stuff (Hello Mr. Scroggie) and their obscene pricing strategies

https://devialetchat.com/

On 4/14/2019 at 4:01 AM, Confused said:

I too have speakers that sit on carpeted concrete flooring.  I use the Isoaccustics Giai II's and agree that there is a definite improvement over the original spikes.

I understand they offer carpet spikes that are fitted to sit under the lower ring of the Giai and the spike to the concrete below.

Any suitable offering for non-box...i.e panel speakers, like the Magneplanars?

Has anybody tried these under Maggies?

Source: Intel i3 NUC/fanless/Euphony/Ext SSD) JS-2;

DAC: Mojo Mystique V2/Regen /LPS1.2;Curious USB

Preamp: Music First Audio passive V2/ Morrow cables

Amp: Sanders Electrostatic; Mapleshade power cable

Speakers: Magneplanar 1.7/Hsu vTF2 sub/Room 27x15'  

Misc: eR; extensive anti-vibration; 1.7's on Herbie's footers

you might want to call Wendell for a chat - but to avoid that consider that Maggies are bipolar and (unlike bipolar humans) the panel radiates front & back at the same time... this means there will be no movement to phase modulate the drivers like in a box speaker

but there are all sorts of people selling "upgrades"...

you might also enjoy this:

On 4/17/2019 at 1:16 PM, wdw said:

For the Oreo here’s the link:

https://devialetchat.com/Thread-IsoAcoustics-OREA-isolation-footers

You betcha...these performance points are repeatable and even testable. A nod to you doubly  blinded testing advocates. 😄

Hi wdw

I've read the devialet thread and note that there is discussion of using just two (or one?) of the footers under components.  I guess balancing is achieved by using a spike(?) for the third position.

Have you tried this and found any difference compared to using an all footer setup?

Thanks

2 hours ago, tims said:

Hi wdw

I've read the devialet thread and note that there is discussion of using just two (or one?) of the footers under components.  I guess balancing is achieved by using a spike(?) for the third position.

Have you tried this and found any difference compared to using an all footer setup?

Thanks

Those posts that suggest using two or one are, IMHO, coming from someone missing the point of these devices.  Three are required for general stability and the suspended equipment must be free to "move" within the tolerances offered by the Orea.  A spike would defeat that design intent coupling the equipment back to the support shelf.  

One decided to use four heavier Orea with a design load capacity far greater than the load he placed on them and so likely will never really enjoy the full design isolation offered by the use of a correctly sized Orea.  Dunno.

21 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

you might want to call Wendell for a chat - but to avoid that consider that Maggies are bipolar and (unlike bipolar humans) the panel radiates front & back at the same time... this means there will be no movement to phase modulate the drivers like in a box speaker

but there are all sorts of people selling "upgrades"...

you might also enjoy this:

Actually, Maggies are Dipolar. They radiate sound alternately front and back.