Gnnett

Newbie Question (Solved)

Rate this topic

Hi

Trying to get a set of Kef LSX to play music from a microJukebox.

The Kef Stream app has a "media server" button and I thought the microJukebox was a "music server".

The speakers cannot find the microJukebox and I do not understand the 2 line quick start instructions for the microJukebox that includes "select a player".

Question is, what is a player?

Figure I should just throw my CD's in the bin and listen to what Spotify has available.

Hopefully someone here will take pity on me and identify what I need to do to get these two items to work.

Cheers

Grantn 

3 hours ago, Gnnett said:

Hi

Trying to get a set of Kef LSX to play music from a microJukebox.

The Kef Stream app has a "media server" button and I thought the microJukebox was a "music server".

The speakers cannot find the microJukebox and I do not understand the 2 line quick start instructions for the microJukebox that includes "select a player".

Question is, what is a player?

Figure I should just throw my CD's in the bin and listen to what Spotify has available.

Hopefully someone here will take pity on me and identify what I need to do to get these two items to work.

Cheers

Grantn 

Here are a few links of examples.

https://jriver.com/audio.html

https://www.foobar2000.org/

https://roonlabs.com/

Hope this helps and good luck.

Hi Grantn,

I've decided to post here, having seen your post in another thread & even another one of your own thread's mentioning the same problem:

First off it seems that you are trying to connect two (normally) incompatible streaming technologies: Squeezebox and UPnP/DLNA. BTW, I mentioned "(normally)", because workarounds do exist to try to get the two incompatible systems to talk to each other. However, they can be a bit complicated to set up, so it's probably best to first try sticking completely to one of the systems if it can provide all that you require.

Essentially your problem is that the microJukebox comes preconfigured to supply the audio files stored in it with a working Squeezebox media server - the Logitech Media Server (LMS); the Kef LSX only supports streaming your own audio files from a UPnP/DLNA media server.

This means that if you want to use the Kef Stream app to control the playback, it won't be able to find the microJukebox's LMS as the "media server", as it's not a UPnP/DLNA media server.

Now if you don't require LMS, the microJukebox is supposed to also come with a UPnP/DLNA media server to instead supply the audio files stored in it, which should be accessible by the Kef Stream app. You did actually mention trying to configure the MinimServer UPnP media server in one of your other posts, but you got confused somehow:

14 hours ago, Gnnett said:

I had thought Minim Server might be the way to go but that just leads down a rabbit hole of Minim this and Minim that, which confuses the hell out of me. This became a dead end when it became essential for me to load "File Viewer Plus" on my computer and no idea what it does and when I need to use it. 

Is MinimServer actually an option on the microJukebox?

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the microJukebox's UPnP/DLNA media server setup process - but I am very familiar with MinimServer and its setup.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Hi Cepa

Most appreciated for getting to the true heart of my problem, my lack of knowledge of computer audio, despite owning a bunch of such components. You are correct in your other post on where I should have posted, I just didn't know enough to understand that I had a "networking problem".

Thank you also for the above carefully stepping through the issues I have created for myself.

Now, yes Minim Server is an option on the microJukebox and the road block I ran into with Minim was not understanding how "File Viewer Plus" fitted into the puzzle of setting this up.

Knowing that Minim is most likely my best option, I will now go back and read carefully what is available about Minim and more carefully follow this.

I will come back to this spot once I have done this. Hopefully reporting success, or back for some more of your sage advice.

Kindest Regards

Grantn 

I've never heard of needing "File Viewer Plus" to set up MinimServer, so it would be interesting to know where you got that idea from!

Hopefully the microJukebox is similar if not the same in setting it up to use MinimServer as its more powerful brother, the sonicTransporter i5 - since they both use the SonicOrbiter operating system. The instructions look quite straight forward (and there's no mention of "File Viewer Plus"!!) - see this post in the SonicOrbiter thread:

Once MinimServer is set up on the microJukebox, you can view its current running status, configure and manage it remotely from a computer using the MinimWatch application, available from the MinimServer website:

https://minimserver.com/downloads/index.html

image.thumb.png.55b67663d6c076440893673af3207715.png

A green minim icon for MinimWatch on Windows shows that MinimServer is running normally - see:

https://minimserver.com/ug-control.html#Controlling MinimServer using the minim icon

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Well I downloaded and installed MinimWatch and it said I had to download File Viewer Plus, which I did. Now when I click on MinimWatch all it get is this:

image.thumb.png.62123f24b4b5859e22728917dbde4fd8.png

So not sure what "MinimWatch" is supposed to look like on my computer, but this screen is DOS like in appearance.

I will delete minimwatch off my computer, along with file viewer plus and re-download MinimWatch and ignore the recommended/required download of File Viewer Plus.

I will update hear when I have reached the stage where "MinimWatch" is working, although not knowing what it is supposed to look like makes that interesting.

Thanks and appreciate the help.

Cheers

Grant

Ah, sorry I should have given you the link to the instructions for installing MinimWatch on Windows:

https://minimserver.com/install-windows-mwatch.html

The instructions tell you that you must have have Java Runtime Environment installed first before installing MinimWatch. Windows can't recognise the minimwatch.jar file to run MinimWatch if the JRE is not installed - which is probably why it asked you to install File Viewer Plus (mystery solved)!

Hopefully you'll now get MinimWatch's minim icon appearing on the task bar.

-- Jo Cox

Hi Cebolla

This is getting messier. Apparently there is a known problem with computers not knowing what to do with .jar files and I think why MinimWatch is not working on my PC.

The story:

image.thumb.png.aabf6fd310c24f55e429ecd5dc41cbbe.png

But my computer does not like the "fix":

image.thumb.png.497e5f2014fbb48fa06e290d73447925.png

Okay just seen your message and will find JRE.

Cheers

Grant

Also make sure you say yes to any messages asking if you want to allow MinimWatch access through the Windows Firewall.

-- Jo Cox

Okay, I have now installed MinimWatch and it is "seeing" the microJukebox.

I will go to the Sonicorbiter link above and try to work through this, although the first hurdle will be figuring out why the only option I have when I go to Audio App Switcher is "Squeezelite" and none of the others shown in the first picture above:

MPD / DLNA

RoonReady

HQPlayer NAA

Shairport

Cheers

Grant

Wooo that is weird, no MPD / DLNA switcher but for a brief moment, 3mins, I had Adele playing from the microJukebox through the LSX's.

It stopped and after 10mins cannot get it going again. Guess it must be a poor wireless network using a internet service provider supplied modem/thingy.

Will keep trying. 🙂

Cheers

Grant

Okay, proof of concept, it worked briefly so will now focus on burning my CD's and getting a 1/2 decent wireless network sorted.

The hard part will be going through the process of figuring how best to move seamlessly between Spotify streaming and the Private Library.

We will call this "solved".

Cheers and thanks for your help.

Grantn

15 hours ago, Gnnett said:

Okay, I have now installed MinimWatch and it is "seeing" the microJukebox.

I will go to the Sonicorbiter link above and try to work through this, although the first hurdle will be figuring out why the only option I have when I go to Audio App Switcher is "Squeezelite" and none of the others shown in the first picture above:

MPD / DLNA

RoonReady

HQPlayer NAA

Shairport

Cheers

Grant

Hi Grant

Just to clarify, those additional apps are the device's internal network streamers/audio file players, for the device itself to play the music (instead of an external 'player' like the LSX)  - so nothing to do with its media servers and therefore the apps not being available to the microJukebox isn't relevant in this situation.

There's no need for a 'switch' between media servers as LMS & MinimServer can run happily together in parallel, even supplying the same stored audio files.

-- Jo Cox

15 hours ago, Gnnett said:

Okay, proof of concept, it worked briefly so will now focus on burning my CD's and getting a 1/2 decent wireless network sorted.

The hard part will be going through the process of figuring how best to move seamlessly between Spotify streaming and the Private Library.

We will call this "solved".

Cheers and thanks for your help.

Grantn

No worries - glad I could help.

Isn't moving between streaming Spotify & streaming your own music files just a case of swapping between the Spotify app (playing to the LSX's Spotify Connect) & the Kef Stream app (setting the microJukebox's MinimServer as the media server & playing to the LSX) ?

-- Jo Cox

Hi Cebolla

Your last sentence is correct, however the only advice I have received from Kef is to spend a further 25% of the the value of the speakers on a modem-router, because my current one, which happily works with Spotify and Netflix is not good enough to run Kef Stream. I am guessing it is a truly grotesque and inefficient bit of programming from a big organisation whose primary business is not in computing.

Anyway what happens is the App looses connection with the speakers part way through a song, the mJb finishes playing the song and awaits further instruction from Kef Stream, which has already gone AWOL.

I will try to find a third party App that avoids Kef Stream, like Spotify does and use that. The logical thing to do is get Roon, but that apparently places too high a demand on the computer in the mJb. Although I should ask SGC if that is only relevant where the mJb is feeding a usb DAC, rather than feeding an end point. Guessing it will be the same, although no harm in asking them.

Cheers

Grant

The LSX is a DLNA certified DMR (Digital Media Renderer, aka DLNA renderer), which means you should be able to use it with any application that has a built-in standard UPnP/DLNA controller (aka control point):

http://certification.dlna.org/certs/REG11104644.pdf

I'd recommend you test the LSX speakers with either the BubbleUPnP (Android only) or the mConnect Player Lite (Android or iOS) third party controller apps, as not only are both apps very reliable, their built-in standard UPnP/DLNA control point also supports gapless playback - so you'll be able to check if the LSX also supports gapless playback when operating under its standard UPnP/DLNA renderer.

Note, the gapless support feature needs to be manually set in both apps' configuration settings.

-- Jo Cox

Cebolla

You are a Giant on the computer scene👏

Player Lite sounds great and it JUST WORKS!!!

I will pay the $10 for the adless version.

Thank you for helping me through this.

Kindest Regards

Grantn

also a giant on the Allium scene...

"The overwhelming majority [of audiophiles] have very little knowledge, if any, about the most basic principles and operating characteristics of audio equipment. They often base their purchasing decisions on hearsay, and the preaching of media sages. Unfortunately, because of commercial considerations, much information is rooted in increasing revenue, not in assisting the audiophile. It seems as if the only requirements for becoming an "authority" in the world of audio is a keyboard."

-- Bruce Rozenblit of Transcendent Sound

1 hour ago, Ralf11 said:

also a giant on the Allium scene...

Yes, well skilled in the fine art of peeling away the layers just enough to reveal the important stuff...