IGNORED

A Pleasant Little Cable Story That May Please Neither Objectivists Nor Subjectivists

Jud

The ferrite in the Z-chord would be my first guess - the filtering action imparted by it, plus how it's incorporated in the cable would be doing enough to disturb the behaviour of the power supply ... an interesting experiment would be to somehow remove that ferrite from the cable, with nothing else changed in the construction.

Normal audio rigs are a precarious balance of all sorts of noise adding, interference elements - change one thing, and the balance is disturbed - perhaps to produce a sound that makes no sense, in terms of what was done.

11 hours ago, fas42 said:

The ferrite in the Z-chord would be my first guess - the filtering action imparted by it, plus how it's incorporated in the cable would be doing enough to disturb the behaviour of the power supply ... an interesting experiment would be to somehow remove that ferrite from the cable, with nothing else changed in the construction.

Normal audio rigs are a precarious balance of all sorts of noise adding, interference elements - change one thing, and the balance is disturbed - perhaps to produce a sound that makes no sense, in terms of what was done.

In the high MHz!

1 hour ago, marce said:

In the high MHz!

Ask Jud the bandwidth of his amp.

Also ask him the filtering in his DAC (net-output).

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

43 minutes ago, Speedskater said:

A ferrite just reduces the tendency of a cord to receive or transmit high frequency interference.   Maybe you enjoy a little  bit of added background noise from interference.

I need to have a very complex "enjoyment profile" then, because I subjectively felt the better shielded signal cables between pre-amp and amplifier improved the sound.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

38 minutes ago, marce said:

What are you going on about, the reference was to the frequencies that ferrites work at....

Peter referred to the fact that my amp is designed to have bandwidth to the (low) mHz, though I have no idea whether that's the least bit relevant to anything.

I found it interesting that (1) this was so far the only step intended to reduce noise that I haven't subjectively liked, of several I've done, and (2) that I subjectively noted a difference at all, when not particularly expecting one, and if anything, favorable.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1 hour ago, marce said:

OK...

Further my reply was more in astonishment to the usual Frank's fragile stereo reply, I would hope they are not all that fragile. Again though ferrite tend to work in the high MHz, how far does your amp go into the MHz region?

Specs don't give an exact upper frequency limit number, but do say 3dB down at 1.8mHz. So fairly low in the mHz range I would guess, without knowing a number.

27 minutes ago, mansr said:

This is the effect of a random clip-on ferrite I found on my desk:

tek00000.thumb.png.47fef210cc1ae07f6537cdcef53b621b.png

Without the ferrite, the spectrum is perfectly flat.

If I'm reading the scale correctly, noise or a sweep signal is pretty flat to 1mHz or so, and diminishes very slightly by 5mHz. So nothing in the audible region (excluding any audible effects(?) from diminution of very high frequency noise).

23 minutes ago, Jud said:

If I'm reading the scale correctly, noise or a sweep signal is pretty flat to 1mHz or so, and diminishes very slightly by 5mHz. So nothing in the audible region (excluding any audible effects(?) from diminution of very high frequency noise).

Right, it's flat to about 1 MHz, then down 3 dB at 4 MHz.

On a related note, I recently changed the stock power cord for my Marantz amp to an Ice Age 12 gauge cord for 89 bucks. I think it sounds nice; more laid back and relaxed, with slightly more body. My buddy couldn't tell a difference and is not a cable believer. (the Ice Age was recommended to me by a guy who makes all of his own power cables)

I also purchased a 35 dollar 10 gauge "audiophile" cord from Amazon (Zeos has the same thing, I found out later) and I thought it made a clear difference on my powered monitors, clearing up the sound and allowing more details from within the soundstage to come through.

No blind testing was done.

So I gather from the reactions that it's very unlikely my subjective reaction to the Z-cord resulted from any reduction in upper audio frequencies caused by the ferrites.  I'm also getting the impression it's unlikely the ferrites would have reduced audible noise, though anyone is welcome to tell me how they may have.  This doesn't rule out a reduction in noise due to better cable shielding or sturdier construction.  Though I've subjectively liked measures that might reduce noise previously, it doesn't rule out this time being an exception.

It also doesn't rule out no change and my randomly preferring one identically performing power cord to another.

Of course it's also very unlikely, but the way the power cords each work within my system might actually have created some difference I heard.  Perhaps the Z-cord might allow a noise current to run along some path for which the Mapleshade cord provides slightly greater resistance.  But this is sheer speculation.

Just because some change in the environment of the audio system alters the sound, doesn't mean that the significant variation is easily measurable. You might measure that some parameter has varied, but to actually relate that to the audible characteristics of the rig may be quite difficult.

I've played with ferrites, a bit - and seem to have found some benefits - but I have to be careful with how I apply them. Just sticking one casually on a cable is likely to be a negative, as regards SQ.

Yes, audio is fragile - in part because most power supplies are too fragile - this is why many of the highly regarded amplifiers have monster power supplies; 'overkill' in this area takes away a lot of the fragility. A ferrite alters the spectrum of waveforms found in the PS area - and this ripples through to the amplifying circuitry.

Blind testing is going to be almost useless in this type of assessment - because what you're listening to has emotional meaning - and one's hearing adjusts the sound you perceive to give one that emotional hit each time ... the more you listen to A, and then B, and back; the more they will sound identical.

The only way to do blind testing sensibly is to create test tones that are meaningless; that one can't connect to emotionally - I create short, repeating blippy nonsense snippets if I really want to compare; the differences are then quite distinct.

While folks have seemed to concentrate on the power cords (an exchange in a roughly equivalent price range for each of around $100-$150), what I'm quite pleased with and don't want to lose sight of are the subjective improvements experienced from two $15 RCA cables and a $35 USB cable. Whether what I hear is real or not, the cables can serve as inexpensive recommendations the next time someone asks.

20 minutes ago, Jud said:

While folks have seemed to concentrate on the power cords (an exchange in a roughly equivalent price range for each of around $100-$150), what I'm quite pleased with and don't want to lose sight of are the subjective improvements experienced from two $15 RCA cables and a $35 USB cable. Whether what I hear is real or not, the cables can serve as inexpensive recommendations the next time someone asks.

Wouldn't the RCA cables be a good opportunity to try a one on the left channel and another on the right channel comparison?  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

1 hour ago, esldude said:

Wouldn't the RCA cables be a good opportunity to try a one on the left channel and another on the right channel comparison?  

I thought about that for half a second, but the DMA-150 has a selector switch between RCA and XLR input. You can't do both, or RCA for one channel and XLR for the other.

1 hour ago, Jud said:

I thought about that for half a second, but the DMA-150 has a selector switch between RCA and XLR input. You can't do both, or RCA for one channel and XLR for the other.

Oh didn't realize you were changing from RCA-RCA to RCA-XLR. 

You could get one of these adapters.  I don't trust Hosa cables, but I've used these with no issue.

https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-GXM-133-RCA-XLR3M-Adaptor/dp/B000068O4D

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

4 hours ago, Jud said:

PA Dutch saying: "Too soon old, too late smart." 😆

Should be German. :P

(anyway I never heard of it, but then of course I am not smart enough, yet)

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)