IGNORED

Article: Audiophile 5: Roon 1.6 in 5 Minutes

There is much to like about this Roon release and the new Qobuz integration.  Radio is outstanding so far and the customizable  "Now playing" screen is quite nice.   Lifetime Roon subscription is among the best value for audio dollar I've ever spent.  

image.thumb.png.3b48c25bc7bcebb6bec7381d7007833e.png

Search seems a little sluggish at the moment but I do like how Roon handles the music service distinction with the icon on each album.  This was a search for Mario Biondi. 

image.thumb.png.8ecafccd18c0b639a1589a44558ef4c9.png

Outstanding job on the part of the Roon/Qobuz folks.  Kudos. 

1 hour ago, Kal Rubinson said:

I am now streaming 5.1 channel recordings at 24/96 and in DSD via Qobuz/Roon!

OUCH!!

My apologies.   I was playing multichannel tracks but, it turns out, they were unfamiliar files from my own Roon library!  

I do see multichannel files on Qobuz but, unfortunately, those are for sale and stream only in stereo, afaik.  

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

2 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

OUCH!!

My apologies.   I was playing multichannel tracks but, it turns out, they were unfamiliar files from my own Roon library!  

I do see multichannel files on Qobuz but, unfortunately, those are for sale and stream only in stereo, afaik.  

Yesterday David Craff at Qobuz suggested this one for 5.1 streaming:

https://open.qobuz.com/album/3149020215661

(Original post was on the Qobuz issues thread.)

Everyone wants to date my avatar.

11 minutes ago, left channel said:

Yesterday David Craff at Qobuz suggested this one for 5.1 streaming:
https://open.qobuz.com/album/3149020215661

(Original post was on the Qobuz issues thread.)

My problem is that, in trying to play it via Roon, I get just my own file copy and I cannot figure how to get it to access only Qobuz files.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

36 minutes ago, Surf City Dawg said:

General ROON question: can ROON be installed on my Western Digital NAS so that my computer doesn’t have to be on with ROON running to use it?

I am not sure about a Western Digital NAS, but I think there are versions for QNAP and Synology.  I used the Synology one for a while, but switched to a more powerful server to run DSP.  There are very detailed and clear in instructions (proven by the fact I could get it running) someplace that is googleable (I think on Roon's website).  

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

5 hours ago, diecaster said:

Hyperbole is not conducive to constructive conversation.

What other apps/technologies are you referring to?

Maybe something like the new JPLAY 7, the first JPLAY release in +2 years and a complete overhaul. So far, by all accounts, it's a major improvement to an already good player. 

I do have Roon myself, though, so I understand and appreciate what it brings to the table. 

I like how the track and lyrics can display on Google Home. Can some people offer other ways to get a display like that?

Third Floor: AE>Pioneer solid state integrated>Sony PS-x70 turntable>KEF 103.2 speakers

Second Floor: Intel NUC>LampizatOr GA TRP/LampizatOr Integrated Solid State amp>triode wire labs speaker cables & power cord and wywires power cords>vapor über auroras speakers

Old school: VPI Prime Signature turntable w/ Ortofon Bronze Cadenza cartridge and Technics SP-10 mk2

First Floor: AE>lifatec silflex glass toslink>schiit bifrost über>Kimber kable hero RCA>audioengine 5

Hi Chris,  most of us will not pay for both Tidal and Qobuz... so if we make the switch, what would happen to our playlists?

would the tracks remain, but show as “unavailable”?

I’ve read that Qobuz doesn’t have the amount of tracks available as Tidal offers. 

JD

Good job on the video, Chris. To the point with the video part and the background narration was what needed to be said, nothing more.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

45 minutes ago, firedog said:

Good job on the video, Chris. To the point with the video part and the background narration was what needed to be said, nothing more.

Thanks firedog. Like my other videos, the original version is about 10 minutes. I have to cut out the stuff that absolutely isn't necessary to get down to five minutes. 

Your time is the most valuable thing you'll ever have and it isn't renewable. Because you and others have given me this time, I owe it to you guys to make it worth your while.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

The discussion about Roon 1.6 is so civilized here.  :) I think in part because this audience was waiting for the Qobuz integration and we may better understand what scale of effort was required to put together the new release and integrate both Qobuz and Tidal seamlessly.  By contrast, check out this thread on Roon's site: https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-1-6-feedback-thread/58664/613 -- the cacophony of voices screaming from 100 different, extremely personal perspectives, can't be pleasant for folks at Roon who have put a lot of effort into getting this done in time for the Qobuz US beta trial. 

Compared with how angry I often get at a new release of Microsoft Windows or Apple OX, I have just been sitting back and listening to Roon 1.6 with a big smile on my face.... 

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

39 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Thanks firedog. Like my other videos, the original version is about 10 minutes. I have to cut out the stuff that absolutely isn't necessary to get down to five minutes. 

Your time is the most valuable thing you'll ever have and it isn't renewable. Because you and others have given me this time, I owe it to you guys to make it worth your while.

Agreed: rambling nonsense videos that go on for 20+ minutes are utterly useless within the context of HiFi, especially when the host(s) really have no idea what they are talking about in first place. 

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi JD - I’d drop Tidal today in favor of Qobuz. Total number of tracks is meaningless. It’s all about the important stuff. 

Here’s how to transfer your favorites and playlists. 

Thanks for your reply.  I’m not sure if I follow you... if they don’t offer the tracks in my playlist (I’m mostly into Jazz), what’s the important stuff that I’m missing?  Do you mind elaborating on the benefits of Qobuz beyond what I saw in the video?

Thanks again,

JD