IGNORED

Toppings MX 3 , Pro and D50

6 hours ago, Iain said:

BTW, I received my new DX3 Pro yesterday morning. Very nice, plus it gives me the option to reconfigure it for pre-amp mode and add the D50 later.

BTW, what's with the continually flashing headphone symbol on the front panel? It's annoying.

The DX3 Pro sounds even better with an LPS. :)

In terms of modes and symbols, the output settings are as follows:

hM7pzkz.jpg

You can double-press the round knob on the front panel to cycle through most of these output modes, or single-press the headphone (picture) button or Line Out button on the remote to set these output modes. The Headphone button on the remote sets the the output to  headphone mode. It looks like you have the unit set in headphone amp and line out mode, which is the factory default I believe.

Note that the 'flashing headphone symbol' (headphone amp + line out) cannot be set using the remote - you need to use double-pushes of the rotary knob on the front panel of the DX3 Pro to cycle through all four of the modes shown in the picture.

The Line Out button on the remote sets the last two output modes: pure DAC only (with a line level output presented on the RCA jacks of the DX3 Pro, or Preamplifier mode where the analogue signal passes through the DX3 Pro's volume control so you can adjust the volume using the rotary knob.

I hope that helps!

10 hours ago, Ottoa62 said:

Did you see a post about a relay clicking ..in one if the modes? Bad enough they said that they are sending it back. Not sure if you could make any observations with this?

If it were purely a sonic choice would you just get the D50...I'm trying to make that decision. I have a Schiit Saga, with the DX3 I can possibly eliminate the Saga, if it sounds great? I think the remote runs the volume output through the RCA output in put dac mode?  The BT and headphone amp are a plus. Only if Sonic's will be pretty close to D50.  Your thoughts.

No clicking issues for me. I've tried out the DX3 Pro in my headphones system using coax and in my desktop system using USB. Mine already had the latest firmware which addressed the apparent clicking issues.

I only hear a click when the sample rate changes. Issues tend to be overblown on forums as most people tend to post about problems they're having whilst the majority who own a component are sat back enjoying their music.

In terms of sonic preference, my headphones system sounded better with the Topping D50. I've detailed my findings between the D50 and DX3 pro in some detail on another forum. However, the DX3 Pro sounds so beautiful in my desktop system, in which I'm using it in pure DAC mode.

I've listened to both for many, many hours. Bear in mind, there are several components in both my headphones and desktop system. You can get details of both of my systems from my profile.

The D50 just needs any USB phone charger to power (5V 1A), or a spare USB port on your computer. I have many phone chargers lying around at home. The DX3 Pro does indeed come with a small 15V power supply (note the difference in voltages between the DX3 Pro and the D50).

You can always upgrade the power supply to a linear power supply at a future date.

I specifically bought the DX3 Pro to test out the AKM DAC vs the ESS DAC in the D50. Elsewhere on these forums, there was mention of an 'ESS hump' show in a graph, and I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. But at the end of the day, after more than a hundred hours of listening, the D50 sounds great to me. The D50 produces an analytical, cleaner sound with immense clarity. The DX3 Pro produces a warmer, more musical sound.

If you need Bluetooth then get the DX3 Pro. I already have Bluetooth capability in my desktop system via my Ruark active speakers, and in my headphones system via my Bluesound Node 2i streamer so it's not an important factor for me. Just be aware of no MQA in those two DACs.

I mentioned elsewhere that the Bluesound Node 2i streamer has an MQA DAC so that's another option for you. It works really well with Tidal.