IGNORED

Toppings MX 3 , Pro and D50

I am sorry if this has been covered already, I did a search and do not see anything on the MX3. I just sold my MF V90 and now want to buy a replacement. The choices are:

ifi Nano 1   idsd bl   Topping D50 and MX3. I have read much on D50, nothing on MX3. I am interested in having MQA. I know the D50 does not have it. I do have an AQ DF Black I an using for Tidal MQA, it does a very good job. The Nano 1 is getting strong reviews in every area.  I also like the Bluetooth feature of a piece. ( Have I talked myself out of the D50?  LOL.  The D50 would have to be so MUCH better in the sound dept to sway be to buy it. Now I see the MX3 and it's very Nano 1 like.  Thank you all for your comments and advice to help me through this.

Otto

I have a Nano iDSD BL and it sounds good and is easy to connect to a PC (if that is what you are doing).  I do not think it does Bluetooth.

The Topping D50 is one of the standards on audiosciencereview.com but I have not heard.  I do have the NX4 DSD and it sounds great but no BT nor MQA.

For the price the MX3 is worth trying if BT is a requirement.  Buy from Amazon and send back if not acceptable.  Note that the MX3 is a BT receiver...cables to speakers/headphones required. I have the Fiio Q5 but it is in a different price category and it has BT...but only receiving...need cabled headphones/speakers.  

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

Got it and I'm already having issues. I've read everything on their site and downloading a patch. Issue is the led which shows sampling rates is stuck on green which is 96khz. I use tidal on want to decode MQA. I have an Audioquest DF Black and it sound great on mqa. I bought the nano 1 for all the other features.  If this fails, it's going back and I'll get a Topping D50 which seems to be the best under 1k.

All thoughts welcomed.

I am assuming you have downloaded the correct firmware.  My two iFi units came with non-MQA firmware.  What is the connection...with BT 96khz is max.  I have no idea if MQA transfers over BT.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

1 hour ago, Ottoa62 said:

When I download the software I do not have the correct way to unzip it? Its not working. MY AQ DF Black is working fine with MQA, I had high hopes for the Nano 1. Its going back.

It's a zip file, there should be no issue. Or shoot us a PM and we'll try to help.

Our PowerStation is here: click me!

Check out our Tidal MQA Set-up Guides below. 
Android (Renderer) Mobile
Desktop (Decoder) via USB
Desktop (Decoder) via SPDIF

My mistake was the 1st time I tried, a window appears to choose how do you want to open the file. I chose Google. Now every time I hit download a web page link opens up yonno where. Windows is stuck in this mod. Ifi tech support is not replying to my emails.i find there C.S. sucks. It's hard to keep the nano when the tech support sucks. I bought it from Music Direct. Their customer service suggested the same download page I already know about. No help. I'm considering a Modi 3 or the D50.

Windows Settings/Apps/Defaults and change the default app.  Or use 7zip and manually open the file.

12 hours ago, Ottoa62 said:

I have been messing with this for 1 hour. Downloaded 7 zip and WINraw and I cannot get either to work. I feel I'm pretty good on a PC, but non of shit is working. A simple down load of a patch and I am not getting it. Really PO'd

What's not working?

Just touch your right mouse button for either programme and they will both provide all the options needed to extract archives.

I spent a few hours on the AES site reading reviews of measurements etc and I'm looking at the Topping D50 or the DX 3pro which has BT. ABoth measure excellent...much better than the V90 I just sold. Unless I can solve the Ifi nano crap. It's going back for a refund.

Correct,  I cannot open the downloaded file. I downloaded 7zip. It's not working. Also got WinZip...I am not able to open and install the Bin file. 

You have to follow the exact procedure, step by step that appears at the iFi site. Are you doing that? If you are trying some other way, it won't work.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I spent a few hours on the AES site reading reviews of measurements etc and I'm looking at the Topping D50 or the DX 3pro which has BT. ABoth measure excellent...much better than the V90 I just sold. Unless I can solve the Ifi nano crap. It's going back for a refund.

BTW, I received my new DX3 Pro yesterday morning. Very nice, plus it gives me the option to reconfigure it for pre-amp mode and add the D50 later.

BTW, what's with the continually flashing headphone symbol on the front panel? It's annoying.

6 hours ago, Iain said:

BTW, I received my new DX3 Pro yesterday morning. Very nice, plus it gives me the option to reconfigure it for pre-amp mode and add the D50 later.

BTW, what's with the continually flashing headphone symbol on the front panel? It's annoying.

The DX3 Pro sounds even better with an LPS. :)

In terms of modes and symbols, the output settings are as follows:

hM7pzkz.jpg

You can double-press the round knob on the front panel to cycle through most of these output modes, or single-press the headphone (picture) button or Line Out button on the remote to set these output modes. The Headphone button on the remote sets the the output to  headphone mode. It looks like you have the unit set in headphone amp and line out mode, which is the factory default I believe.

Note that the 'flashing headphone symbol' (headphone amp + line out) cannot be set using the remote - you need to use double-pushes of the rotary knob on the front panel of the DX3 Pro to cycle through all four of the modes shown in the picture.

The Line Out button on the remote sets the last two output modes: pure DAC only (with a line level output presented on the RCA jacks of the DX3 Pro, or Preamplifier mode where the analogue signal passes through the DX3 Pro's volume control so you can adjust the volume using the rotary knob.

I hope that helps!

Did you see a post about a relay clicking ..in one if the modes? Bad enough they said that they are sending it back. Not sure if you could make any observations with this?

If it were purely a sonic choice would you just get the D50...I'm trying to make that decision. I have a Schiit Saga, with the DX3 I can possibly eliminate the Saga, if it sounds great? I think the remote runs the volume output through the RCA output in put dac mode?  The BT and headphone amp are a plus. Only if Sonic's will be pretty close to D50.  Your thoughts.

10 hours ago, Ottoa62 said:

Did you see a post about a relay clicking ..in one if the modes? Bad enough they said that they are sending it back. Not sure if you could make any observations with this?

If it were purely a sonic choice would you just get the D50...I'm trying to make that decision. I have a Schiit Saga, with the DX3 I can possibly eliminate the Saga, if it sounds great? I think the remote runs the volume output through the RCA output in put dac mode?  The BT and headphone amp are a plus. Only if Sonic's will be pretty close to D50.  Your thoughts.

No clicking issues for me. I've tried out the DX3 Pro in my headphones system using coax and in my desktop system using USB. Mine already had the latest firmware which addressed the apparent clicking issues.

I only hear a click when the sample rate changes. Issues tend to be overblown on forums as most people tend to post about problems they're having whilst the majority who own a component are sat back enjoying their music.

In terms of sonic preference, my headphones system sounded better with the Topping D50. I've detailed my findings between the D50 and DX3 pro in some detail on another forum. However, the DX3 Pro sounds so beautiful in my desktop system, in which I'm using it in pure DAC mode.

I've listened to both for many, many hours. Bear in mind, there are several components in both my headphones and desktop system. You can get details of both of my systems from my profile.

16 hours ago, Ottoa62 said:

The DX3 relay clicks mean the DAC is doing it's job correctly by changing modes when required to do so. Even my Korg DAC does this.

Don't worry of it.

I would be more worried if the DX3 didn't do that.

Taz...thank you for your reply...big help. I will check out your profile. It's going to hard. The convenience of the BT and headphone amp would be great. If I can I'll order both and have fun obsessing! Then return one. I'm intrigued with the DX3 using the AK chip is the Sabre. Not the only factor as power supply etc are very important. On that note, dx3 has its own power supply and I'd have to buy one with the D50. Neither has MQA which started all this. I'll have to use the AQ DF Black for that. So as I see it, is the d50 so much better using USB and coax from CD player...that the BT and headphone amp are not enough to make the difference?

The D50 just needs any USB phone charger to power (5V 1A), or a spare USB port on your computer. I have many phone chargers lying around at home. The DX3 Pro does indeed come with a small 15V power supply (note the difference in voltages between the DX3 Pro and the D50).

You can always upgrade the power supply to a linear power supply at a future date.

I specifically bought the DX3 Pro to test out the AKM DAC vs the ESS DAC in the D50. Elsewhere on these forums, there was mention of an 'ESS hump' show in a graph, and I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. But at the end of the day, after more than a hundred hours of listening, the D50 sounds great to me. The D50 produces an analytical, cleaner sound with immense clarity. The DX3 Pro produces a warmer, more musical sound.

If you need Bluetooth then get the DX3 Pro. I already have Bluetooth capability in my desktop system via my Ruark active speakers, and in my headphones system via my Bluesound Node 2i streamer so it's not an important factor for me. Just be aware of no MQA in those two DACs.

I mentioned elsewhere that the Bluesound Node 2i streamer has an MQA DAC so that's another option for you. It works really well with Tidal.

7 hours ago, Taz777 said:

No clicking issues for me. I've tried out the DX3 Pro in my headphones system using coax and in my desktop system using USB. Mine already had the latest firmware which addressed the apparent clicking issues.

I only hear a click when the sample rate changes. Issues tend to be overblown on forums as most people tend to post about problems they're having whilst the majority who own a component are sat back enjoying their music.

In terms of sonic preference, my headphones system sounded better with the Topping D50. I've detailed my findings between the D50 and DX3 pro in some detail on another forum. However, the DX3 Pro sounds so beautiful in my desktop system, in which I'm using it in pure DAC mode.

I've listened to both for many, many hours. Bear in mind, there are several components in both my headphones and desktop system. You can get details of both of my systems from my profile.

7 hours ago, Taz777 said: