IGNORED

Article: Roon 1.6 With Qobuz Integration and More

8 minutes ago, luisma said:

For the time being I am planning on keeping Tidal, much longer integration time and honestly streams really well lately, will add qobuz which is something I am looking forward for some time already. 

Thanks for the update @The Computer Audiophile

Hi luisma - What do you mean by  longer integration time? Just curious. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

8 hours ago, sdolezalek said:

Wow, can't wait till the weekend -- loooong listening session coming up switching between Tidal and Qobuz versions.  So far the integration is seamless (of course my library got almost twice as big overnight).  Roon has handled this extremely professionally -- not getting out ahead of itself, but getting the timing perfect to coincide with the US beta period for Qobuz. Congats!  Very nicely done!  

Let us know what you think after giving it a spin.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

58 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Let us know what you think after giving it a spin.

Oops...Although it works great on my desktop system, Roon version 1.6 seems to have broken the ability to work with my HQPlayer/NAA setup as HQPlayer no longer recognizes the NAA and Roon gives an error message in connecting to HQPlayer: "Playback failed because $ couldn't connect to HQ Player."

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

28 minutes ago, sdolezalek said:

Oops...Although it works great on my desktop system, Roon version 1.6 seems to have broken the ability to work with my HQPlayer/NAA setup as HQPlayer no longer recognizes the NAA and Roon gives an error message in connecting to HQPlayer: "Playback failed because $ couldn't connect to HQ Player."

HQPlayer working fine here.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

51 minutes ago, sdolezalek said:

I fixed it.  Upgrading to version 1.6 seems to have reset my NAA to Roon ready rather than HQ Player as the default.  Going into the NAA setup and resetting it to HQ Player fixed the problem. 

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

9 minutes ago, austinpop said:
  1. As @David Craff has indicated a while back, Qobuz is still working to distinguish between the download and streaming resolutions of an album. Just as with its own app, Roon is currently displaying the download resolution, so it can lead to confusion. For example:
    But this is not a Roon issue, and I'm very hopeful that Qobuz will sort this out soon.
  2. SQ wise, I listened on both Roon and LMS (my up to now Qobuz player) and in my admittedly short listening, I couldn't hear a difference.
  3. Of course, this also begs the grand MQA vs. Hi Res Qobuz vs. Hi Res Local comparisons like this:

Honestly, haven't we done enough of these already?! I've lost interest. I'd just rather have the hi res version. Period.

As to the above:

1. I notice that if I favorite the hi-res version in the Qobuz app itself, when I open Roon it shows up as say 24/192 and plays as such.  If, on the other hand, I'm in Roon and search for that title, even though it shows as 24/192 when I choose it that way it plays as 16/44.  So it appears that Roon isn't distinguishing between low-res and hi-res licensing rights when you search in Roon, but Roon does pick up the difference for albums selected in Qobuz itself.  I have tried this across about a dozen albums and the difference is holding up.

2. Interestingly when I listen to the Tidal standalone app versus the Qobuz standalone app, i hear significant differences.  When I listen to Tidal vs Qobuz vs actual downloaded files, all three sound more alike and I'm having a hard time telling any difference at all between a Qobuz 24/192 file and the same album downloaded in 24/192 from ProStudioMasters (which is as it should be).  Similarly, I can hear the same minor differences between Tidal 16/44 and Qobuz 24/192 as I hear between originals at 16/44 and 24/192 (again as it should be). 

3. Give me unadulterated 24/192 over MQA any day...

I updated this morning but had to come to work so didn't get to play with it... 

Since there is the (wonderful) "versions" tab (already in 1.5)... Is there a mechanism by which all identified "versions" of items in the local library or in TIDAL can be added to the favorites in Qobuz?

One comment: I wish "Uncompressed high-resolution music from Qobuz" would have actually been "Lossless high-resolution music from Qobuz". And if we are being extremely picky, it should be "Lossless compressed high-resolution music from Qobuz" (after all it comes in a flac stream).

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

Why spend 9 months of development work, when TIDAL and Qobuz are losing money hand over fist, and could collapse with a change in the wind? Beyond me. 

Not accepting 1.6 very well, probably compounding with 1803 stuff ups. The progress bar is easily touched when moving the ipad, still stuck in landscape mode and where's the remote WAN access. Aja sounds dreadful, gamblerth, and ramblerth on Deacon Blues, not even Fidelizer can fix this rot, SACD or Redbook. Oh and the DSP is now on the speaker icon.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

5 minutes ago, One and a half said:

Why spend 9 months of development work, when TIDAL and Qobuz are losing money hand over fist, and could collapse with a change in the wind? Beyond me. 

Because one of Roon's key value propositions is streaming, discovery, and an integrated library where local and cloud are in the same place. And in fact, adding Qobuz is useful exactly for the reason you're criticizing it: another alternative in case TIDAL folds.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

Disappointed in the UI changes. Roon has a blind spot here imo. The progress bar is particularly unaesthetic. The uneven top and bottom padding, the muddy quality of the waveform. The tendency for artist pictures to be low resolution and cut off.  UI/UX is obviously an art and thus subjective but changes seem haphazard compared to roon's focus on correctness with regard to technical features. 

I too am disappointed with this update. They need a better UI designer, and fast. Roon is strong on compataibilty and tech but seem to be going backwards on aesthetic. The decision to relagate 1/2 the now playing screen to a shoddy artist picture that’s often missing and the album art to 1/4 the screen size with no way to switch should never have left the whiteboard imo. Roon is supposed to be all about viewing and sorting your album collection. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

I’ve only had a little chance to use 1.6 so far but as a minor complaint I miss the Now Playing screen with the large album artwork and the notification of what was coming next. Over on the Roon forums Brian said they got rid of it because no one ever used that view but I’ll bet that after I set up a queue that’s the view I used 90% of the time. C’est La Vie. 

I haven't been able to play a single song on Qobuz! I get this messages... Hopefully is just that their server is over saturated..

134760678_ScreenShot2019-01-22at5_45_57PM.thumb.png.ae4541d267bb56037a778bb2d5bb0791.png

Just for music:Mac Mini 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 60GB SSD, 16GB RAM (Mid 2011) OS X El Capitan 10.11.3 > WD NAS 6TB > Audirvana+>Roon Server > HQPlayer >iPad for Roon Remote> Teac UD-503 DAC > Audio Quest Cinnamon USB cable > Cambridge Audio Azur 840C > Cambridge Audio Azur 840A > Polk LSi 15 > DIY Speaker Cables.

6 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi luisma - What do you mean by  longer integration time? Just curious. 

What I mean is Tidal's Roon implementation is years old already, the development team at Roon figured out the kinks to make it flawless. Qobuz integration this is their 1st iteration and without questioning Roon's developers abilities which I'm sure are excellent  usually you will find bugs and issues on the initial releases.

If I may add something else, WE (audiophiles, followers of your site etc), have been putting pressure on Roon's to support Qobuz for some time already, they did great and deliver the integration, here in the US at least, officially, we cannot still use  Qobuz, not even the beta is yet available (it will be but right now is not) so for Roon's effects the US market Beta stage was skipped, and without massive adoption and feedback of the Qobuz integration it may take some time for Roon to get a stable Qobuz product. I am not trying to be negative'or discouraging here, like I said I am very excited to start using Qobuz and Roon but I have been in the IT / development field since I was 10 yrs old and I'm 48 already and I think Roon may have released the integration a little too soon and on top of that with major UI changes (I haven't updated yet and if I am mistaken my apologies) I have to say they are Bold as a software developing company. On the other hand I personally love what they do and the innovations they have brought to market

5 hours ago, sdolezalek said:

I fixed it.  Upgrading to version 1.6 seems to have reset my NAA to Roon ready rather than HQ Player as the default.  Going into the NAA setup and resetting it to HQ Player fixed the problem. 

Weird just updated mine and HQP stayed there, you running HPQ Win or HQPE?

56 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Roon 1.6 has become unusable for me in the last 30 minutes. Searches take several minutes and even time out. Anyone else see this behavior?

Disabling both Tidal and Qobuz makes Roon lightning fast. 

Enabling Tidal slows it down a bit.

Enabling Qobuz makes it unusable right now.

About to start listening now, just updated the entire chain server, bridge and naa, will report back if I see something odd

sadly, still wait listed for Qobuz beta. Upgrading to 1.6 though...

[Home Digital] MSB Premier DAC > Modright LS300 > Atma-Sphere "Class D" Monoblocks > Daedalus Audio Muse Studio Speakers

[Home Analog] Technics SL-1200G > Boulder 508 (Benz Glider SL)

[Office] Laptop > Kitsune R2R lvl3 > Violectric V281 > Meze Liric / Meze Elite

[Travel] Laptop/iPad -> Focal Bathys