IGNORED

Roon self pauses

dbphd

Question

Roon core and bridge have begun pausing while playing a file, showing the horizontal triangle.  Clicking the triangle restarts play from the paused point.  Sometimes the pauses are infrequent, other times not.  Core runs on a dedicated Mac mini attached to an Ayre QX-5 Twenty digital hub via ethernet, bridge on an iMac attached to an Ayre DX-5 DSD universal player via USB.  What might the problem be and the fix for it?  It's been suggested that I remove Roon from the mini, iMacs, and perhaps iPad, and reload, but I'm not sure how to do that.  

4 answers to this question

The Ayre DX-5 DSD uses asynchronous USB with a block to RFI, and I am using a USB connection from the iMac to it.  A reviews that includes a discussion with Charles Hansen revealsl that he expected the USB port to become even more important than discs as a source, so it got a lot of design attention.  The DX-5 DSD output is balanced to a Parasound JC 2 BP preamp and JC 1 monoblocks that drive KEF Ref 107/2s.  The sound is excellent, especially with MQA and DSD files.  But, it should be noted, the same pauses occur with my Ayre QX-5 Twenty digital hub, a recent product.

Correction to above:  The Ayre QX-5/20 digital hub is connected to Google mesh via an ethernet cable, not to the Mac mini.  

Since removing the power line ethernet there has not been a single unauthorized pause, so those who suggested that might be causing the problem seem to have been right. 

6 hours ago, dbphd said:

Roon core and bridge have begun pausing while playing a file, showing the horizontal triangle.  Clicking the triangle restarts play from the paused point.  Sometimes the pauses are infrequent, other times not.  Core runs on a dedicated Mac mini attached to an Ayre QX-5 Twenty digital hub via ethernet, bridge on an iMac attached to an Ayre DX-5 DSD universal player via USB.  What might the problem be and the fix for it?  It's been suggested that I remove Roon from the mini, iMacs, and perhaps iPad, and reload, but I'm not sure how to do that.  

A 2010 product is at least 3 generations behind in USB technology, I can't even find anything to verify that its uses asynchronous USB... DAC's of that era were still using the older Microsoft audio USB implementation. Are you perchance using an HDMI connection from Mac to DX5 for audio? Since

the DX5 was intended as a disc player it lacks the typical coax input that would permit a newer asynch USB solution to be used.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system