IGNORED

Νas or something else.?any thoughts?

Well i have some external disks powered by usb in rapsberry pi. Now i use linear power supply so i want to take it away with nas or hub. I read many thing that nas Required also linea power supply and ethernet cables because thtpat affects in sound.is it correct?

on the other hand a iusb micro sounds better choice because i can use as reclocker for the sound while a hard drive disk be attached on it.

finally if you could tell me which hard drive can spins for all day long without a problem it will be a good hand of help.

thanx

Little confused about your setup - are you saying you have a Pi acting as a NAS with the storage being on external USB disks?

And where is the playback originating from? Are you saying you also have playback on the Pi?

Why do you want the hard drive to spin all the time? Waste of energy if you don't need them to.

bliss - fully automated music organizer. Read the music library management blog.

I do some tests. Roon listen just perfect...second very close is moode after volumio and at last is archphile.

I put a case for 3,5 with external power for better perfomance of pi.

i think i will keep the moode for now. I don't if there is difference between nas and case with external power.

Flyman,

did you compare Moode to Volumio ?
A case with with external power does not give you the advantages of a NAS, but is clearly the easy way to do it.
For the NAS thing:
A NAS as a source for your music has usually some advantages / disadvantages
Adv: 
- Depending on config, a high availability of data or a big capacity of data, with a comfortable data security/recovery in case of one disks's problem (i.e. RAID5)
-  shielding/decoupling from USBing into your PI (afaik, same BUS for USB and Ethernet, but usually enough bandwith for sufficent data transferv on both connections ) -> (https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/45130/why-do-the-usb-ports-and-ethernet-port-share-the-same-controller)
-  usually provides RAS (Reliability, availability and serviceability)

- more economic use of your disks
- can easily leave the listening room (and sometimes the electric circuitry) to a closet or a spare room

- not music related, but you could use the NAS capacity as well for other purposes (Video streaming, Private cloud, sharing, backup of personal data)

Disadv:
- Another device to buy, configure and maintain
- 1 NAS is NO BACKUP, but usually provides RAS (Reliability, availability and serviceability)
- may lead to even more investment on the gateway router/transport/server side, as you may like to watch:

- might not be economic, depending on the size of your music library (THIS is reason, usually abandonned in audiophile circles)
I know, again a lot to consider, but at that point:
Congratulation that you like the Raspi/Moode sound with your internal DAC on your Hegel!
Cheers & happy weekend, DT

yes I compare moode to volume. Moode is like Roon....but Roon far better.

I am wondering if I can use ropieee or dietpi with other audio player from my macOS and to not waste my money in Roon. could you tell some  apps?!

thanx for the details for the nas.

1 hour ago, Flyman said:

I am wondering if I can use ropieee or dietpi with other audio player from my macOS and to not waste my money in Roon. could you tell some  apps?!

AFAIK, as long it is a headless installation, you can use every browser on LINUX,  ANDROD, MAC or Windows for it.

It's up to you to choose your flavour of music player, then.

Shame on me, I had overlooked your comparison of Volumio in the 1st sentence of your last post. sry!

Regarding Roon, you could for example have Roon Core on a NAS (if it is powerful enough) and use the PI as Roon Endpoint.
Maybe an idea for future amendments?
Depending on your library size, the QNAP HS-453DX SilentNAS 

could be an option. With Libraries >500 albums you might like to use more powerful solutions.

what about price of that Samsung?!

I make a search but because of I am not familiar with endpoints I thought that you can help me.

does the dietpi and ropieee works with all players?for example if I will install on macOS the rune,moode,jriver then I can choose as endpoint the ropieee on pi?!

14 hours ago, Flyman said:

what about price of that Samsung?!

I make a search but because of I am not familiar with endpoints I thought that you can help me.

does the dietpi and ropieee works with all players?for example if I will install on macOS the rune,moode,jriver then I can choose as endpoint the ropieee on pi?!

1) The cited article says: "Available December 16th, 2018 will be a 1TB model for $150, 2TB for $300, and 4TB for $600."
2) Not the best source for endpoints myself, afaik, it is software dependend:
- you usually need a software like LMS, ROON or JRMC etc., using the DLNA (Certification) / UPNP (protocol/standard) capabilities,

- Endpoints can be DACs itself, devices like the RPi or NUCs (then connected to the DAC), Or the music server itself.

- receiving the Data over the network (WiFi, Ethernet or Optical)

- from the file server (MAC or NAS or dedicated Music Server)

- using a controlling sw (The Software itself or another like BubbleUpNP)

- on a controlling device  ( i.e. you tablet or mobil phone, or you MAC)
Usually the choice of endpoint options is dependend on your choice of equipment and software.
The player software generally contains features like library managment, bit-perfect playback of different formats using available implementation on the hardware, a file serving software (like LMS), DSP and using a protocol like UPNP for networking.
At this point: BIG SORRY if you already knew all of that, I did not get that impression, therefore the explanation. My aim for responding to you is giving you information on which you may make your own decision on what you want to have.

3) If you choose Moode as player and endpoint on RPI, which is IMHO a good  decision for the time being, than you may control it with your MAC/tablet/phone.
Aboute Moode installation on dietPi or Ropeee you may better ask in the Moode forum (http://moodeaudio.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
4) I am not sure if you make always make a distinction between ROON and Rune? Can be a language issue as well ...

Hope that helps, DT

Thanx for the detailed answer. Yes i know the most...but not all of that. So thanx.

3) to make it clear....so you don't know if i can install moode in macos and as a endpoint the pi with ropieee? Or you say that i can do that but you don't know how?

4) hehe...no i mean Rune. For roon i know i can do it, i am already use it.for rune,moode,jriver etc... i am asking if i can play music with theese players and set the pi with ropieee or dietpi.

5 hours ago, Flyman said:

3) to make it clear....so you don't know if i can install moode in macos and as a endpoint the pi with ropieee? Or you say that i can do that but you don't know how?

AFAIK, Moode is software for an RasPi installation, you control it via the browser interface on your MAC, but the services are run on the Pi. More info on the software and its use in the Moode forum (The developer was once active here, but I could not find a trace of that anymore ...)

5 hours ago, Flyman said:

for rune,moode,jriver etc... i am asking if i can play music with theese players and set the pi with ropieee or dietpi.

- JRIVER have had their own Pi-Image in 2017/2018, check out in their forums (https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php)
- the Ropieee is a ROON-endpoint for the Pi, having the posibility using a Screen connected to the PI, have you seen another use of it ?
https://codexwilkes.com/downloads/ropieee-guide-for-beginners.pdf
- DietPi may work as a ROON-Bridge or Server as well as NAA for HQ-Player or JRIVER, PLEX, Shairport and Squeezebox
https://dietpi.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5
... Both may hav functionality for a small screen connected to the Pi ...
For using a double player solution (1 on MAC /1 on on PI) the easy way could be JRIVER, but JRIVER already allows you playing on the PI via every DLNA capable player (i.e. Volumio etc). I can't see the advantage for that kind of configuration. You may elaborate why you think that would be useful, apart from the fact you would like to use a better library solution (JRIVER) with a slick lightwight player on the Pi (Moode/Volumio)? Using the RasPi audio players allows you to eliminate the use of a second software in the system. You just have to use their headless interface on your control devices.

Hope that helps, DT

• 4 weeks later...

I’m a little fuzzy on what the goal is here. Ropieee is a Roon-compatible endpoint for a Pi. DietPi is an operating system that has a nice installation method with which you can easily install RoonBridge on a Pi. And you can easily install RoonBridge from the command line on a stock Pi running Raspian. You need to buy and install a Roon core on another device to play to any of the above. A Raspberry Pi is not powerful enough to run a Roon core instance. But it’s a great endpoint with Bridge, and Bridge is free.

JRiver does well on a Pi - I have one running now. It has limited functionality compared to a PC or Mac instance, but it’s fine for audio and will play from the host Pi and on all DLNA endpoints on your network.  Moode and Rune are fine freeware players that also work well on Pi, but I don’t think they’ll play to any device except the one on which they’re installed.

Any of these will play files from a USB drive or a NAS. So you have several choices. If you want to use your Pi as a NAS for your music files, you should get a second one for your player. But apart from Roon and JRMC, all the other software is free.