IGNORED

Sonore toneDAC - preliminary discussion

33 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

Right now we are exploring the idea, but we are not 100% committed to the project.

If not all details are fixed, I would appreciate to have it as a pure USB DAC without SPDIF.

I talked to an australian DAC manufacturer and he told me that his DACs with USB only input sound much better than these with several inputs.

Further even manufacturer like Schiit admit that their upcoming USB sounds better than SPDIF.

How would you power the DAC when in SPDIF mode?

I do not see any DC socket?

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

22 minutes ago, matthias said:

Can you explain why it has SPDIF input when it is for use with MR, UR, OR and SR only?

Matt

That is a reference to the USB input. You can use the SPDIF with any source. Yesterday I was streaming to it from my microRendu via USB and my playing from my cable box for TV sound via the SPDIF input. Its very handy with two inputs:)  

9 minutes ago, matthias said:

If not all details are fixed, I would appreciate to have it as a pure USB DAC without SPDIF.

I talked to an australian DAC manufacturer and he told me that his DACs with USB only input sound much better than these with several inputs.

Further even manufacturer like Schiit admit that their upcoming USB sounds better than SPDIF.

How would you power the DAC when in SPDIF mode?

I do not see any DC socket?

Matt

I really want to keep the SPDIF input for selfish reasons:) This product is meant to be simple and fun to use...It's nice to offer something like this to our customers in a matching case. The USB port is what powers the unit. In my case yesterday the microRendu, which is always on, was powering the unit when I was watching TV via the SPDIF input.  

Just now, matthias said:

That means that USB can be used with Sonore devices only?

If yes, why?

Matt

You can use it with any device you want, but I don't have time to support customers who want to connect them to Windows and Mac computers. If you use it with a Rendu then no worries...I'll provide support as expected. 

2 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

You can use it with any device you want, but I don't have time to support customers who want to connect them to Windows and Mac computers. If you use it with a Rendu then no worries...I'll provide support as expected. 

What about folks who want to use it first with a MBP/Audirvana as USB DAC and want later on upgrade to one of your renderers, does this work?

Thanks

Matt

6 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

You are on your own until you buy and hook it up to a Rendu via USB. 

Hmmm is it possible this changes project and becomes a "RenduDAC" ? 

Ethernet (copper or fibre) input and analogue outputs? Running sonicOrbiter OS.

2 hours ago, vortecjr said:

You are on your own until you buy and hook it up to a Rendu via USB. 

Surely you can decline support without Rendu but you should specify whether it works with MAC OS for example.

Maybe @barrows can check this?

Matt

@vortecjr

I suppose for purely SPDIF one would need an USB power supply?

Are the Rendus powered by an Uptone LPS 1.2 strong enough to power this DAC or which PS is recommended?

What do you use as USB input socket? USB-C?

Thanks

Matt

7 hours ago, matthias said:

Surely you can decline support without Rendu but you should specify whether it works with MAC OS for example.

Maybe @barrows can check this?

Matt

Typically, if it works on Linux it works on a Mac and the other way around. We have not tested it though so it’s not a qualification. 

6 hours ago, matthias said:

@vortecjr

I suppose for purely SPDIF one would need an USB power supply?

Are the Rendus powered by an Uptone LPS 1.2 strong enough to power this DAC or which PS is recommended?

What do you use as USB input socket? USB-C?

Thanks

Matt

Correct. Not sure because I don’t have one. I can try it with an iFi iPower supply later today. It uses USB-C. 

9 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Hmmm is it possible this changes project and becomes a "RenduDAC" ? 

Ethernet (copper or fibre) input and analogue outputs? Running sonicOrbiter OS.

We have some ideas about this, but it’s a fairly complex and expensive undertaking to accomplish.