IGNORED

Disintegrating Grado earpads

I've owned a pair of Grado SR225s for about 20 years.  They still sound great.  But while the original earpads lasted quite a while, I've had to replace pads with increasing frequency over the last few years.  They just seem to disintegrate fairly quickly.  Is anyone else experiencing the same issue?  

I got tired of paying $20 a crack for replacements, so I just ordered Geekria's replacements on Amazon.  They've got a 4+ rating and cost half what Grado charges.  I don't have them yet, so I don't know how good they are.  But I was wondering if anyone could recommend something you could use to treat earpads so they don't disintegrate without impairing their sonic qualities or comfort level.  
  • 1 month later...

I heard the Senn 414 pads decrease bass vs. original Grado pads. Opinions? 

I need new pads for my old SR60 (original flat pads). I tried a couple pairs of very inexpensive Amazon pads but neither is satisfactory. I tried third-party G cushion pads, they sound horrible on the SR60. A friend has a pair of RS2e (L-cushions), which I found very uncomfortable. Sound didn't change much though.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

13 hours ago, davide256 said:

the pads don't change the bass... Grado's are open back. I find the Sennheiser pads less damping to treble detail  than the soft Grado pads... while the original Grado pads were completely cut out in the center/no treble attenuation/ the stiff foam was very harsh on the ear for comfort.

Pads can definitely change the bass on open back phones. My DT 1990 Pro come with two sets of pads, Analytical “A” version which features a neutral frequency response and a Balanced “B” version, which give a slight bass boost. 

Thanks for the opinion on the 414 pads. I think treble attenuation is a good thing with my old Grados. BTW, the existing pads on my SR60 do not have the center hole, they are flat (I believe they are referred to as Comfort or S-pads).

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

3 hours ago, audiobomber said:

Pads can definitely change the bass on open back phones. My DT 1990 Pro come with two sets of pads, Analytical “A” version which features a neutral frequency response and a Balanced “B” version, which give a slight bass boost. 

Thanks for the opinion on the 414 pads. I think treble attenuation is a good thing with my old Grados. BTW, the existing pads on my SR60 do not have the center hole, they are flat (I believe they are referred to as Comfort or S-pads).

When the 60's eventually break, its worth the ~$30 more for the SR80's. I also have SR225's, kind of an SR80 sound on steroids, I would not buy again given price point competitors.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system