IGNORED

Multichannel Sound Systems using stereo recordings

Ralf11

35 minutes ago, STC said:

Now you are qualifying your statement. All I remember you used this example to say how your neighbour was impressed with your system just by listening to them through the windows opening. How reflective is yhe sound in open field where you live?

Not quite sure where you got that ... regarding the neighbour, I mentioned that he missed hearing the system playing when it was in the main room. Regarding the open windows, that was in reference to myself, or anyone for that matter  - whether the sound was "convincing", say when a solo piano recording was playing, through an open window, from outside.

37 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Not quite sure where you got that ... regarding the neighbour, I mentioned that he missed hearing the system playing when it was in the main room.

Apologies if I got that wrong.

37 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Regarding the open windows, that was in reference to myself, or anyone for that matter  - whether the sound was "convincing", say when a solo piano recording was playing, through an open window, from outside.

You mean like listening to a performance in Sydney concert hall thousands of miles away over the a phone from an audience in the live performance? Yes, that how average consumer grade will sound. Poor extension of frequencies, DR, separation and monotonous.

1 hour ago, fas42 said:

Dear me ... okay, if you happened to walk past an open window, in your neighbourhood - and the sounds of a piano emerged from that - would you have any trouble picking the source ... make it interesting - a $1,000 in your hand if you get it right ...

Let's make it more interesting. I will record my piano and sound from speakers playing the same and you guess.

Amusingly, Dennis (esldude) does get it ... in another forum, he said,

I've had similar experiences. A friend had Maggie MG2s with G.A.S. amp and SS ARC pre fed by Tandberg FM tuner. Local public station played classical piano music each night.

With open front door on his porch it sounded like a piano was just inside on some recordings. Walk thru the door and it was just HiFi. The illusion was strikingly strong.

Whether he will admit the possibility that such an experience can be extended to other circumstances, is another thing, of course ... ^_^.

3 hours ago, fas42 said:

Amusingly, Dennis (esldude) does get it ... in another forum, he said,

Whether he will admit the possibility that such an experience can be extended to other circumstances, is another thing, of course ... ^_^.

Of course I will admit it can be extended to other circumstances.  

I've another one.  Old train terminal with lots of tile all around.  Horn PA speakers from the 1950's.  In a couple sections of the halls in and out, if an announcer came over those there were places that it was spooky real as if the guy was standing behind you yelling out arrival and departure times.  For some reason it only worked if the PA was behind you and it sounded like he was behind you.  Turn around and it sounded like a PA speaker. 

And another I can only take other people's words about.  I had Quad ESL63's driven by some triodes that were in a room just inside the entrance to my house.  Once a lady collecting donations for the local fire department was waiting at the door as I went to get a check. I had a piano concerto playing.  When I returned she'd stepped inside, and looked embarrassed by what she'd done.  She was stumbling as she said, "I'm sorry, I dont' know....but it just sounded so real I wanted to see if it was. I shouldn't have oh my dear".  I told her it was okay.  She asked about "if those were the speakers????" pointing to the Quads.  Asked about the vacuum tube amp.  Told me her husband spent lots of money on hifi, but she couldn't stand the sound of it.  Asked if I'd tell him what I had if he was interested.  I said I would and invited them to return.  Never heard from them so he probably didn't believe it himself. 

Another time a neighbor was at the same door and asked, "that's not a real guitar in there is it?  I know its not, but damned you could have fooled me."  He stepped in and out a few times and said it sounded real just outside the door.  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

A number of years ago I invited a surveying firm to do some work at my house. A young women, early 30s my guess, turned up. We started talking on the hall. The first thing she said was "It was nice to come to a house with a piano" I had to say no piano but only hifi. She said "but that sounds so real!"

The hifi was an Armstrong receiver into Bose speakers playing Radio 3; not exactly hi end.