IGNORED

Multichannel Sound Systems using stereo recordings

Ralf11

13 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

I limited this topic as there not many multi-channel recordings.

In fact, I have a hard time even finding CDs of several things I want...

Most multichannel material is classical music. And there are quite a number of multichannel SACD's and concert recording Blu-rays. But it totally depends on what kind of material you are after.

Some of the old progressive rock was originally mixed for quad (some Pink Floyd etc).

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

12 hours ago, esldude said:

Haven't used Auro.  All other upmixes benefit some recordings. Are a wash with some recordings. Mostly with most recordings don't work to my satisfaction. I've never found an upmix algorithm I wanted to leave on for stereo.

Maybe I need to put the one I like into HQPlayer. It is actually very simple but effective, and even fairly well known...

4 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

Thx - I found a few more.  But am curious as one was George Benson's Breezin' album.  So it must have been multi-tracked in the studio and mixed ot 5.1 - so ...  how well was it done?

I have for example Genesis SACD + DVD box sets that have 5.1 mixes. Then for example Pink Floyd - DSOTM and WYWH SACD 5.1 mixes (IIRC, originally these were quad mixes thoug).

Just to list few interesting multichannel studio mixes.

For psychedelic rock and such, multichannel mixes work very well.

6 hours ago, audiobomber said:

Here's what you want, surround  for stereo without phony matrix effects: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hafler_circuit

This is similar to what I was talking about. I would still fill the center channel and possibly LFE too to end up with 5.0 or 5.1.

I just need to add a small thing to the HQPlayer matrix-setup and then it is easy to experiment with this. (DSP engine has all the capability already, but the GUI doesn't support setting it up)

It is easy to make different adjusted variations of this.

My normal speaker setup is 2.1 (stereo pair plus subwoofer). Main channels high pass for the subwoofer is acoustic, so the sub is adjusted to start where the main speakers fall out naturally. When I want, I can have rear channels as extra, so the system becoming 4.1. I haven't yet added center channel to the current system. So nothing is lost by having multichannel, one can first build the preferred stereo system and then add more channels to it. It doesn't take anything away...

My current multichannel source is exaSound e28 DAC, so I can run 8 channels at DSD256. But the other alternative (and more pricey) would be Merging NADAC.

10 minutes ago, fas42 said:

I've been in a room many times with gimmicky multichannel - it's not my cup of tea ... natural reverberation from the listening room does all that is necessary, if the direct sound is good enough.

That is one of the major problems with most speaker systems if you listen for some concert recordings with real acoustics. You have two acoustics messed together. You have the venue acoustics in the recording and then you have the room acoustics added afterwards. No such problem with headphones though. With multichannel you can lessen the impact of listening room acoustics and bring more of the venue acoustics in.

When you have studio mix, practically all the reverb on the recording is artificial anyway (created with one of the many hardware or software reverbs), and then you can either reproduce that with minimal room reverb impact or add amount of room reverb to your taste. Again, not a problem with headphones either.

Listening calibrated (corrected) speaker system in anechoic chamber gives you all original reverb/acoustics without mixed-in local room acoustics.

1 hour ago, fas42 said:

How it works for classical, concert recordings - over speakers, is that below a certain SQ the recording acoustic loses - but get above that SQ, and the captured space 'wins' - the recording acoustic is dominant; and the possibly huge concert hall is where your head now is. The fascinating thing is that even low quality, historical recordings can do that - I have a couple of those BBC magazine freebie CDs, and when the system is in good tune, then the 70 year old captures show a very impressive acoustic.

Have you tried to add second and maybe third copy of your "good SQ" system to the same room and running it as a multichannel system?