IGNORED

Multichannel Sound Systems using stereo recordings

Ralf11

18 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

Let's say you only have stereo recordings in your collection...

How much better will a multichannel sound system sound?

It depends. ...Of your setup, listening position, listening room's acoustics, personal preference satisfaction, exploration, analog/digital.

Do you have some stereo vinyls/CDs encoded in QSound? 

Do you have a multichannel music setup? 

Is your stereo rig considered hi-end audiophile style to your ears? 

16 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

I count 6 of interest.

Very little program material available for me in multi-ch. format.

Which music genres are your preferred listening interest; jazz, progressive rock, alternative, classic rock, international, blues, classical orchestral, classical chamber, new age, electronica, psychedelic rock, ...?

Any music selection fits your chords from this list:

⊙ http://www.sa-cd.net/titles/0/0/date/5/1

* You can select the specific music genres from the box on top.

I set it up for "All Genres"

1 hour ago, Fitzcaraldo215 said:

I have in excess of 4,000 to 5,000 of discretely recorded on my NAS.  It is mainly classical, and it encompasses SACD and some downloads plus BD-A and -V.

I am thrilled to own it.  I find it to be a substantial upgrade in sonics to my previous attempt at recording collection - previously vinyl and CD over many years, I have thousands of each. I have not bought a CD in over 10 years or certainly and not an LP.  I listen avidly to almost nothing but Mch music, and it indeed is very satisfying.

That's a sizeable amount of multichannel music. 

I bet a good percentage of it would fit many Audiophile's lifestyle right here and beyond ...

1 hour ago, Ralf11 said:

It's the internet...

Audiophile style ...

1 hour ago, fas42 said:

I might as well add the obvious answer :) ... if the rig is working well, then the experience conjured up going multichannel will "barely touch the sides" in terms of "being better" - MCH merely makes the job of having the brain perceive an immersive, full scale experience much easier, for the gear.

Since much of the really interesting music is not MCH, one's options are vastly extended by getting the stereo playback right ...

That plus some music stereo recordings have an immersive quality to them.

And some, like Roger Waters - Amused to Death, are spooky in stereo (pleasantly immersive with the QSound process). Too bad that there are not too many of them, I would have like to see QSound taking off on a larger scale, personal preference from stereo recordings. 

* It is my assumption that the vast majority of audio people from the WWW (World Wide Web) who frequent audiophile forums, like here, are setting their stereo hi-fi rigs right. 

1 hour ago, Miska said:

I have for example Genesis SACD + DVD box sets that have 5.1 mixes. Then for example Pink Floyd - DSOTM and WYWH SACD 5.1 mixes (IIRC, originally these were quad mixes thoug).

Just to list few interesting multichannel studio mixes.

For psychedelic rock and such, multichannel mixes work very well.

I agree that for psychedelic rock music genre (The Doors, Pink Floyd, Iron Butterfly, Beck, Yes, Black Sabbath, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Jimi Hendrix, etc.) Multichannel is fun in immersive ways. 

Short of only having stereo music recordings in a multichannel setup I would dare to explore with some of the better stereo music upmixers, like one I mentioned before...Auro-(((3D))) music mode. ...Some Marantz and Denon components are equipped with it. 

Music matters and sound exploration counts. ...From mono to stereo to 3-channel to 5.1 and to infinity and beyond (Buzz Lightyear from 'Toy Story' Quadrilogy). 

56 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

True.  But besides your def'n above, do you think up-mixing will add much to a recording done in stereo?

It is a personal sound exploration in my opinion. 

The freedom to explore our stereo music recordings beyond two channels could be exhilarating, unproductive, enriching, destructive, ... It's a vast ocean, a liberating experience for some, or not. 

A different but expensive alternative ...

3 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Not it is not.  The Beolab 90 is a highly successful effort to make an ideal speaker with a controlled and relatively narrow dispersion and its development has little or nothing to do with multichannel or immersive playback.  I  know them well:  https://www.stereophile.com/content/bang-olufsen-beolab-90-loudspeaker

FWIW, I've had a pair in my living room.  Having 5 would be more than formidable.O.o

Cool...that emoji you put @ the end; "Having 5" of them.  🎶

OP, you can set up a similar multichannel surround sound speaker system in your listening room and experiment with the best stereo music upmixers. 

It's the sound journey that gave us more experience to share on audiophile style forums ...

Do you like choral music, Opera, Classical symphonies, big band jazz music, Organ music, Church organs and chorales, Orchestral, Psychedelic Rock, New Age Alternative Electronica, ...?  Do you like live music concerts on DVD, Blu-ray? ...The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Yes, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, Jethro Tull, The Doors, Genesis,  Queen, Judas Priest, Radiohead, Beck, Nine Inch Nails, Moby, Jean-Michel Jarre, Vangelis, Art of Noise, Morphine, Dead Can Dance, Bjork, St Germain, Delerium, Enigma, Tangerine Dream, Pink Floyd, Mike Oldfield, Mickey Hart, Michael Stearns, Ozzy Osbourne, Jesus Christ Superstar, Rob Zombie, Iron Butterfly, Metallica, Jimi Hendrix Experience, Moody Blues, ...and about 5,000 more music bands who are worth it experimenting in multichannel from stereo music upmixers to immersive surround sound. 

Classical music recordings from say Channel Classic recording label sound fabulous in multichannel. I prefer over the stereo versions. 

Hi-end systems (stereo) start @ roughly $250 and up to $2,500,000

Multichannel setups start @ roughly $550 and they can be as much satisfying as stereo rigs in the tens of thousands of dollars investments including power purifiers, audio cables and audio tweaks. 

Audiophile purists (analog) are hardcore stereo gurus. The exorcism they practice is like a drug addiction stronger than heroine or a cocktail of it mixed with others.

It's a penetrating world without exit doors. Don't put more than two speakers in that world or Jesus won't be your friend anymore. 

@ the strip joint across the street, with pool tables and whiskey, you can attach more that one speaker per pole, as seen in that short video above, and people have fun too, very. 

Experiment, it's worth it I'd say;  good for the spirit, soul, experience and fun of living a life that is way too short to be restricted and behind walls. Multichannel is more fun than stereo from many stereo recordings...I think. 

When I go to a ballet concert @ the hall, I can hear the orchestra's reverbs from all around me, even from overhead...live. 

I only posted for a multichannel setup in real life listening room as an example of Auro-Matic music upmixer...what's basically required as the number of speakers, that is all.

But other upmixers are of the 5.1 variety for simplification.  

Do you have a multichannel music setup in your home? 

Did you experiment with various stereo recordings and upmixers and speaker's positioning and the numbers of them, plus one subwoofer or two or multiple? 

Do you watch multichannel music concert videos from DVDs, Blu-rays, Netflix, ...?

You use the TV speakers, a stereo receiver (integrated amp) with two speakers, a surround soundbar, an AV receiver with surround sound system (five speakers), with DD and DTS audio decoders?