IGNORED

Multichannel Sound Systems using stereo recordings

Ralf11

17 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

I limited this topic as there not many multi-channel recordings.

There are multi channel DVD-A and SACDs around, as well as Quad Tape to DVD-A etc. if you look hard enough, although most are now out of print. You may be able to find quite a few titles using a UseNet subscription, then to obtain legal copies, search for the discs availability using Google or ebay when you know the actual title and format details from the cover photos obtained this way.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Haven't used Auro.  All other upmixes benefit some recordings. Are a wash with some recordings. Mostly with most recordings don't work to my satisfaction. I've never found an upmix algorithm I wanted to leave on for stereo.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

2 hours ago, STC said:

Define multichannel. If you are going to rely on the virtual sound, Dolby Pro Logic to make stereo material to be multichannel then it is not going to meet audiophiles standard or expectation. 

My definition encompasses only discrete, lossless sources played without up-mixing and it excludes any synthesis, matrixing or up-mixing.  

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

16 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

My definition encompasses only discrete, lossless sources played without up-mixing and it excludes any synthesis, matrixing or up-mixing.  

I am not concerned about other channels besides the main left and right being lossless unless they are object oriented. 

Btw,  I am looking for multichannel classical recordings where the applause is restricted to the surround/rear channels. I would grateful if you could give a name or two. Thank you in advance. 

13 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

I limited this topic as there not many multi-channel recordings.

In fact, I have a hard time even finding CDs of several things I want...

Most multichannel material is classical music. And there are quite a number of multichannel SACD's and concert recording Blu-rays. But it totally depends on what kind of material you are after.

Some of the old progressive rock was originally mixed for quad (some Pink Floyd etc).

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

12 hours ago, esldude said:

Haven't used Auro.  All other upmixes benefit some recordings. Are a wash with some recordings. Mostly with most recordings don't work to my satisfaction. I've never found an upmix algorithm I wanted to leave on for stereo.

Maybe I need to put the one I like into HQPlayer. It is actually very simple but effective, and even fairly well known...

2 hours ago, Miska said:

Maybe I need to put the one I like into HQPlayer. It is actually very simple but effective, and even fairly well known...

So if it's already known which one is it?  And yes it would  be a good addition.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

14 hours ago, STC said:

I am not concerned about other channels besides the main left and right being lossless unless they are object oriented. 

If I was to compromise, I would insist on L/C/R being lossless.  However, there are no options other than all discrete/lossless and none, AFAIK.

14 hours ago, STC said:

Btw,  I am looking for multichannel classical recordings where the applause is restricted to the surround/rear channels. I would grateful if you could give a name or two.  

I have no idea.  Almost all my recordings do not have any applause on them.  There are some "recorded-live" BluRay concerts with applause and a very, very few derived from SACD/DVD-A.  For the life of me, I cannot recall which channels the applause is on because I don't pay any attention to it.

Kal Rubinson

18 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

Let's say you only have stereo recordings in your collection...

How much better will a multichannel sound system sound?

It depends. ...Of your setup, listening position, listening room's acoustics, personal preference satisfaction, exploration, analog/digital.

Do you have some stereo vinyls/CDs encoded in QSound? 

Do you have a multichannel music setup? 

Is your stereo rig considered hi-end audiophile style to your ears? 

16 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

I count 6 of interest.

Very little program material available for me in multi-ch. format.

Which music genres are your preferred listening interest; jazz, progressive rock, alternative, classic rock, international, blues, classical orchestral, classical chamber, new age, electronica, psychedelic rock, ...?

Any music selection fits your chords from this list:

⊙ http://www.sa-cd.net/titles/0/0/date/5/1

* You can select the specific music genres from the box on top.

I set it up for "All Genres"

I have in excess of 4,000 to 5,000 of discretely recorded on my NAS.  It is mainly classical, and it encompasses SACD and some downloads plus BD-A and -V.

I am thrilled to own it.  I find it to be a substantial upgrade in sonics to my previous attempt at recording collection - previously vinyl and CD over many years, I have thousands of each. I have not bought a CD in over 10 years or certainly and not an LP.  I listen avidly to almost nothing but Mch music, and it indeed is very satisfying.

23 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

Stereo recordings will play over the L/R speakers as stereo and, therefore, will sound no different from the way they sound now.

22 minutes ago, mansr said:

Isn't it funny how just about everybody who has responded failed to comprehend this simple sentence?

Fixed.

Kal Rubinson

23 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

I might as well add the obvious answer :) ... if the rig is working well, then the experience conjured up going multichannel will "barely touch the sides" in terms of "being better" - MCH merely makes the job of having the brain perceive an immersive, full scale experience much easier, for the gear.

Since much of the really interesting music is not MCH, one's options are vastly extended by getting the stereo playback right ...

4 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

Thx - I found a few more.  But am curious as one was George Benson's Breezin' album.  So it must have been multi-tracked in the studio and mixed ot 5.1 - so ...  how well was it done?

I have for example Genesis SACD + DVD box sets that have 5.1 mixes. Then for example Pink Floyd - DSOTM and WYWH SACD 5.1 mixes (IIRC, originally these were quad mixes thoug).

Just to list few interesting multichannel studio mixes.

For psychedelic rock and such, multichannel mixes work very well.