IGNORED

JRiver on QNAP NAS - looking for recommendations future evolutions of my system

Hi all,

I am currently running JRiver on a QNAP HS-251+ NAS. An SOtM sMS-200 Ultra is connected with Ethernet to the NAS (via a switch), and from there going with a USB cable into my DAC (Ayre QB-9). This is a brief summary of my digital chain.

My issue is that JRiver is not supported anymore in QNAP NAS therefore not proposed as an integrated application ....i.e. what happens the day my NAS goes bust or I simply want to change NAS ? this is what go me thinking about the direction towards which I should make my system evolve...

Let's say only the NAS is replaced in my set-up and I intend to keep using JRiver, what are my options out there ? would I be forced to add a "box", like a NUC ? if so, what is a qualitative solution ? I used to run a modified MacMini (directly connected to the DAC) but I'd like to avoid doing that again because space is getting tight and the need for a dedicated PSU, etc....

Also, I will be receiving at some point a Paul Hynes SR7 with 2 rails @ 12V/8A and 9V/3A so I could imagine the 12V/8A powering a new device rather than a new NAS.

I have an HTPC connected to the same network, also running JRiver, but I do not intend to use it for audio (too big/power-hungry).

I am sure I will be receiving suggestions to get rid of the sMS-200 Ultra and get a more integrated solution, but right now I am looking for solutions where I'm keeping it.....because my network is shared between my Hifi and my HomeCinema system, I do need a NAS hence the sMS-200 Ultra is useful to me.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion,

Guillaume

TANNOY Definition DC8T / STELLO Ai700 / AYRE QB-9 DSD / SOtM sMS-200 Ultra / QNAP HS-251+ / Triode Wire Labs

As far as the sMS-200 Ultra is concerned, you're only using JRiver as a UPnP/DLNA media server (ie, it is 'merely' being used to supply audio files over the network), so why does it matter what networked box JRiver is running on?

It's the sMS-200 Ultra that's actually playing the audio files and outputting the resulting audio signal to the attached USB DAC.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

That's correct but if I had a different NAS which does not run JRiver, I would not be able to play the audio files from the NAS with the sMS-200 Ultra only, isn't that right ?

What are my other options to run JRiver ? I only see a NUC or a miniPC such as a MacMini....are there others ?

Thanks,

TANNOY Definition DC8T / STELLO Ai700 / AYRE QB-9 DSD / SOtM sMS-200 Ultra / QNAP HS-251+ / Triode Wire Labs

7 hours ago, guillaume31 said:

That's correct but if I had a different NAS which does not run JRiver, I would not be able to play the audio files from the NAS with the sMS-200 Ultra only, isn't that right ?

All that's required is a media server to be running on the NAS - it does not have to be JRiver. The sMS-200 can be used with any UPnP/DLNA media server (for the sMS-200's UPnP/DLNA renderer) and also the Logitech Media Server (if the sMS-200's Squeezelite player is enabled).

However, not using JRiver would of course mean not being able to use JRiver's own dedicated controller apps, eg JRemote & Gizmo, if their user interfaces is one of your main reasons for wanting to use JRiver as the UPnP/DNA media server.

BTW, you don't have to use JRiver's own remote apps to control the sMS-200 Ultra playing the music files from JRiver's UPnP/DLNA media server - any standard UPnP/DLNA controller app will do (eg BubbleUPnP, mConnect Player, etc).

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

I am sorry but I always get confused with what is the server, the player....what you're saying is that I could install any media server on any NAS but it would not necessarily be JRiver ?

Today I'm controlling JRiver via the JRemote App on my IPad but I do not mind changing software as long as I can still control it from a tablet. All I'm looking for is a good sound with a user-friendly interface (i.e. family-friendly :))

Minimserver comes with the QNAP (at least with mine).  The best controller for the iPad, from my point of view, is Linn Kinsky but a few others are available.  

You could run the LMS that came with the QNAP,  Squeezelite and/or iPeng on the iPad.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

4 hours ago, guillaume31 said:

I am sorry but I always get confused with what is the server, the player...

You're probably getting confused because JRiver can also be used as an audio file player, normally its main purpose - especially when run on a computer with an attached (external) DAC, popularly referred to by computer using audiophiles as a 'music server' (so, a 'server' for the DAC).

JRiver, as a 'music server', is actually providing the DAC with the realtime digital audio signal output produced from the 'music server' itself playing the audio files - DACs do not receive audio files. So that has nothing to do with JRiver, used as a network media (file) server, providing a network audio file player (such as the sMS-200 Ultra) with audio files over the network.

what you're saying is that I could install any media server on any NAS but it would not necessarily be JRiver ?

Yes. Most NASs come with their own (UPnP/DLNA supporting) media server pre-installed, which are normally video file dedicated, but can also provide audio & picture files; some NASs are also capable of having third party UPnP/DLNA media servers installed. Your QNAP HS-251+ is one such NAS and (as has already been mentioned) you should be able to install a decent audio file dedicated and well supported media server, such as MinimServer (for the UPnP/DLNA renderer on the sMS-200 Ultra) or LMS (for Squeezelite on the sMS-200 Ultra).

Today I'm controlling JRiver via the JRemote App on my IPad but I do not mind changing software as long as I can still control it from a tablet. All I'm looking for is a good sound with a user-friendly interface (i.e. family-friendly :))

For family-friendly you should be fine with the Linn Kazoo app. Linn Kazoo is actually an OpenHome (aka UPnP with Linn extensions) controller, normally incompatible with standard UPnP/DLNA. However, the sMS-200 Ultra's UPnP/DLNA renderer doubles up as an OpenHome renderer.

The mConnect Player standard UPnP/DLNA controller app (free Lite version available) is also worth trying.

I normally use the excellent BubbleUPnP (Android only) app, as it supports both OpenHome & standard UPnP/DLNA (as well as Google Cast), but it can appear a bit techie for some.

-- Jo Cox

Thank you all for your answers, it clarifies several points....I had always assumed I was using JRiver as a music server but I now understand it is actually a network media server in my set-up. That means it has no influence on the sound, right ?

What added to this confusion is the fact that I'm using JRiver onto my HTPC, as a player this time :)

It's good to hear that I could install a third-party media server dedicated to audio onto a NAS...I will make sure to check that this is feasible the day I look around for a new NAS.

What kind of triggered my thoughts is the launch of the QNAP HS-453DX which outperforms my HS-251+ while remaining fanless, but also the fact that I have to decide whether to invest in further upgrades of my sMS-200 Ultra or not....additionally, I'll want the SR7 to stay in my system.

Given your explanations I have the options of changing NAS in the future, but I could also get a network player such as an Innuos Zenith if I decided not to keep the sMS-200 Ultra in my set-up.

• 3 weeks later...

I think in your case, you can use SMS200 as DLNA server, find your Qnap on the network so SMS200 knows where the music is. SMS200 would then be connected to your DAC. You can use any DLNA/UpnP controller app to control your SMS200. 

I’m actually in the same shoe trying to figure out what to do what my home network setup. Currently I am using Jriver as both DLNA server and player serving files on my internal HD to Pro iDSD. It sounds fantastic as it. It’s already heads and shoulders better than USB to Pro iDSD. I’m not sure where to go from here. Get a dedicate music streamer, a renderer from Sonore or SoTM, a high end nas at let it serve DLNA, etc. So many options.

Alienware R7 with Paul Pang V2 USB PCIE -> iFi Pro iDSD -> McIntosh MHA100 -> Hifiman Susvara. Keeping it simple!