IGNORED

From 0 to NUC/AL/RAM in 2 hours

1 hour ago, lpost said:

Nope, still just says AudioLinux menu - Version (with nothing where I would expect a version number).  No big deal.  I'm happy with the system as it stands, plus my few other tweaks to disable other unneeded services.  No plans to update until something major comes along...

A full update is 3 things: the kernel, all other packages, and the AL menu. I would update all 3, in that order. First, reboot without ramroot mode. Then update kernel, reboot again. Then update all other packages. Finally, update AL menu. For good measure, reboot again, and then check the menu. It should be there:

Screen Shot 2019-03-23 at 3.30.26 PM.png

5 minutes ago, austinpop said:

A full update is 3 things: the kernel, all other packages, and the AL menu. 

Screen Shot 2019-03-23 at 3.30.26 PM.png

Thanks, I didn't realize all 3 are required.  I asked Piero about the recent kernel updates and he told me there was very little fixed and if I wasn't suffering with any issue best to leave it be.  

AL is moving so fast, I should probably step off the train before it leaves the town I'm enjoying quite a lot right now.

12 minutes ago, lpost said:

Thanks, I didn't realize all 3 are required.  I asked Piero about the recent kernel updates and he told me there was very little fixed and if I wasn't suffering with any issue best to leave it be.  

AL is moving so fast, I should probably step off the train before it leaves the town I'm enjoying quite a lot right now.

I'm not strictly sure what the dependencies are. This is one of the drawbacks of AL and this fragmented approach of updates. What would be more comforting is to go from one known working bundle of (kernel, packages, AL menu) to a new working bundle. This is what more mature systems do. AL is still definitely bleeding edge.

I’ve made the decision not to do kernel updates. Every couple months I rebuild my system from scratch to get the latest kernel, and be consistent with what Piero is developing and testing against (as one guy, he can’t be testing every permutation of upgrade paths and scenarios)

I have a recipe that has scripted almost all my system-specific changes, so it isn’t too crazy a process.   Also, as time goes on, more and more of those things that I do end up part of the core system, so the recipe gets trimmed each time. 

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

• 4 weeks later...

In your favorite Windows PC web browser download your Linux image and a copy of Etcher.

http://audio-linux.com

https://www.balena.io/etcher/

Put the USB stick in your machine.

Install and run Etcher.  

Etcher prompts you for the location of the image file you want to flash to your USB stick. 

Etcher should show the target as your USB drive!  MAKE Sure because it ERASES the target!

It takes 10-15 minutes to complete flashing the USB stick.  

hi, @bobfa I got the image file and etcher. Installed etcher to windows and used it to put the img headless file on a new 64GB memory stick. I  navigated to the file OK and asked etcher to flash to the memory stick, But afterwards it just says I need to format the drive first? Can you (anyone) elaborate on the process with more detail as I am stuck? Thanks!

15 minutes ago, happydance said:

hi, @bobfa I got the image file and etcher. Installed etcher to windows and used it to put the img headless file on a new 64GB memory stick. I  navigated to the file OK and asked etcher to flash to the memory stick, But afterwards it just says I need to format the drive first? Can you (anyone) elaborate on the process with more detail as I am stuck? Thanks!

When etcher is done the USB stick is not in a format that windows really understands.  You I just take the USB stick and boot it in the NUC or whatever is going to be your AL device.

Now if you are talking about the USB not booting in the NUC you have to make sure the Boot settings are right.  UFEI needs to be on and the Boot Security stuff needs to be off!

25 minutes ago, bobfa said:

When etcher is done the USB stick is not in a format that windows really understands.  You I just take the USB stick and boot it in the NUC or whatever is going to be your AL device.

Now if you are talking about the USB not booting in the NUC you have to make sure the Boot settings are right.  UFEI needs to be on and the Boot Security stuff needs to be off!

OK thanks! First step flash the memory stick with the img file. I restored the memory stick with gparted to an un-allocated space. Now I just put it in the USB slot and flash? When it is done; pull it straight out? don't need to look for it in windows explorer? don't need an eject procedure? don't need to extract the .img file? (like extracting an .ISO file) or anything?

Just pull it out and leave it be?

I thought maybe the windows wasn't recognising it after the flash with formatting, thanks for the confirmation on this!

And, I have no need to format PRIOR TO flashing?

Good help, thank you.

etcher s-shot.jpg

...and maybe help someone else too, looking for a little push in the right direction.

3 minutes ago, bobfa said:

Once the stick is flashed in etcher yank it out, you are done. 

after the download I did (and always have to!) UNBLOCK the file at the bottom of the properties window, but it won't let me copy it anywere else? ERROR code: 0x80070522 - A Required Privilege Is Not Held By The Client. So, I have to attempt the flash from the downloads folder.

Now for the “smoke test.”  You need to connect the keyboard, display, mouse, network. Finally, plug in the power cable and press the power switch to turn on the computer.   

** do not plug the USB stick in yet ** 

Making the initial changes to the BIOS

If the NUC passed the smoke test, the computer boots up to the BIOS where you have to make some settings changes. 

Powered ON the NUC.

Intel NUC7CJYH. 
Akasa Newton JC Fan-less.

NUC splash screen comes on for a brief split second, then straight to > "a bootable device has not been detected"? Unlike other BIOS there is no message saying which key to press to enter the BIOS (e.g. F10/DEL)?

But considering there is no SDD/HDD, memory stick, CD drive, etc. I am not surprised that is says this! All there is; is the RAM!

So, now stuck yet again - sorry!

4 minutes ago, bobfa said:

You have to go into the bios and turn off boot security.  I did not use that model NUC so I have no experience there.  Look around the forum some more.  

right OK, many thanks, I'll have a little look around and search and see if I can find anything about this problem. I'll let you know later.

@bobfa 

hi, bob - still having fun!

Select Cancel to return to the main menu screen and select Reboot.  The computer reboots and automatically loads the OS into RAM.

As the machine boots up and pauses for a few seconds displaying this screen.  It will automatically start-up in RAM after that delay. 

IMG_0836.thumb.jpeg.f76111ab1b85ca93efb2193ef4f30263.jpeg

...gets as far as this given that some of the menus are a little different to your s/shots. and says "loading files....", then it just goes back to: 

IMG_0824.thumb.jpg.9ad83f5b61b5c9dfdb5cb35e28368458.jpg

....so anyone else experienced this with Intel NUC7CJYH? Anyone got this NUC/AL combo up and running successfully? How did you do it?

25 minutes ago, happydance said:

@bobfa 

hi, bob - still having fun!

...gets as far as this given that some of the menus are a little different to your s/shots. and says "loading files....", then it just goes back to: 

....so anyone else experienced this with Intel NUC7CJYH? Anyone got this NUC/AL combo up and running successfully? How did you do it?

Your first screen shot shows it booting to RAM, the next is the normal menu displayed when "audiolinux" default user login is used. The usual next step

in a new setupis to select 1 for configuration,next choose disable running audio services in case something was preselected, then choose

your media player choice, usually Roonbridge  or an HQPlayer NAA option when using celeron NUC. Because you have boot to RAM

already enabled you will have to choose "Save system" when done or else changes will be lost at reboot.

If you are using LMS, someone else will need to chime in.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

12 minutes ago, davide256 said:

Your first screen shot shows it booting to RAM, the next is the normal menu displayed when "audiolinux" default user login is used. The usual next step

in a new setupis to select 1 for configuration,next choose disable running audio services in case something was preselected, then choose

your media player choice, usually Roonbridge  or an HQPlayer NAA option when using celeron NUC. Because you have boot to RAM

already enabled you will have to choose "Save system" when done or else changes will be lost at reboot.

If you are using LMS, someone else will need to chime in.

hi davide

I'll check these points out, all worth investigating. thanks.

35 minutes ago, davide256 said:

The usual next step in a new setup is to select 1 for configuration,next choose disable running audio services in case something was preselected,

then choose your media player choice, usually Roonbridge option when using celeron NUC.

Because you have boot to RAM already enabled you will have to choose "Save system" when done or else changes will be lost at reboot.

hi

disable running audio services

choose your media player choice, usually Roonbridge

choose "Save system" .

All done! Same result as above:

...gets as far as this given that some of the menus are a little different to bobs s/shots. and says "loading root files to RAM....", then it just goes back to: 

3 hours ago, happydance said:

hi

disable running audio services

choose your media player choice, usually Roonbridge

choose "Save system" .

All done! Same result as above:

...gets as far as this given that some of the menus are a little different to bobs s/shots. and says "loading root files to RAM....", then it just goes back to: 

?? when you choose option 1 of the configuration menu (show running audio services) does it not show Roonbridge as running?

Regards,

Dave

Audio system