IGNORED

From 0 to NUC/AL/RAM in 2 hours

Sam1000,

That NUC is not the one that I put in the case. I used the NUC7i7BDNE bare board.  Now the DNHE model appears to be Dawson Canyon and it should fit. I have not tried to disassemble one of the NUC systems.  There were a couple of posts and I think a link to a youtube video on tearing down the  NUC7CJYH.  I would bet the process is similar.  Again not something I have tried.  

I tried to make it simpler on myself.  I have noticed that there appears to be a shortage of these things right now.  

Bob

1 hour ago, sam1000 said:

I'm trying to source NUC7i7DNHE board, but all I see is a NUC kit and not the board by itself.

This is called a kit, but it's really just a bare NUC7i7DNBE board with a few options.

https://simplynuc.com/7i7dnbe-board-kit/

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Thanks Bob, Great efforts!!

Not sure if this is an appropriate question for this thread. I'm trying to source NUC7i7DNHE board, but all I see is a NUC kit and not the board by itself. Can the board be removed from this kit and then be placed in Akasa case? 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1401552-REG/intel_blknuc7i7dnh1e_intel_nuc_nuc7i7dnhe_dawson.html

This "kit" will work just fine, and the board can be extracted easily.  In addition to the same board as NUC7i7DNBE, the wifi card also is included.

On 1/23/2019 at 9:26 PM, bobfa said:

Oh, and having a wireless card might be an exciting thing to play with.  Sorry I did not notice that it was the "kit." Intel has a lot of these buggers.

It is exciting and convenient but activates RFI mechanisms which may affect SQ, just saying 

just converted my nuc6i5 roon endpoint in akasa newton fanless case over from win10/AO/Fidelizer/Dirac.  process was quite easy -- thanks so much for the instructions!

i was surprised at the difference in the sound -- deeper soundstage and much more delineation of instruments.  like others have mentioned, it does seem to sound a little "thinner" but i'm going to give it some time.

next step, move my nuc7i5 roon server over.  just need to get a fanless case!

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

Thanks Bob. Thanks to your step by step instructions, I was able to build the roon endpoint yesterday. I don't have a LPS yet, but I like what I'm hearing. I wouldn't have started the project without your instructions post! Cheers..

I am very happy to help and glad you were successful. 

Thanks Bob.

You seem to be quite the expert on AL/NUC!

I don't have a ROON server but hope to use my AL/Macmini as an LMS server with AL/NUC7PYJH as a Squeezlite endpoint.

I have a USB HDD with all my music files.

How do I mount that to AL LMS on my Macmini server?

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

I can't seem to under the AL instructions but I am a computer noob.

(I had to get my brother to make the USB sticks for me!)

I can see the menu but when I try the mount option I don't seem to get anywhere.. 

If this is really basic and is un-railing your thread I would be happy to PM instead.

Regards,

Geoff

IMG_2100.jpg

PH SR7 > MacMini+Uptone MMK Mod > Audirvana 3.2 > re-clocked D-LInk switch/LPS1.1 > sMS-200Ultra/LPS1.2 > tX-USBUltra/PH SR7 > Chord BluDave > Focal Utopia(Norne Silver) or Voxativ 9.87/ Stereo REL G1 Mk II

Geoff,

It looks like your music drive mount point is sdb1.  See the label Samsung SSD Music.  There are a couple of issues here that need to be addressed.

1. I have never run  LMS server so I do not know what that looks like to setup. It appears to be standard in the AL build.

2. Your SSD drive is formatted hfsplus which is standard for macOS.  We have to research to see of Linux will properly mount that format.

So  from a quick read on the Arch Linux site it looks like you should be able to mount the music drive for use.  As far as LMS I think you will have to ask around some more.  You could create a thread on what you are doing so you have a targeted place to discuss that as needed.

Bob

PS have fun!

Hi Bob

I wasn't going to try the NUC/AL setup until I read your 'wiki' here - thanks,; you've made it now look reasonably 'do-able' ☺️.

One question: is the reason for using a fan-less case for the NUC7i7DBNE or NUC7CJYH solely to get rid of the potentially noisy fan(s) or are there other reasons to put the board into the new case?

Thanks

Hello,

Roon is a separate discussion that we can have. I would say that NOTHING is flawless!  Roon Labs keeps innovating and updating their software.

10K tracks is a walk in the park.  My library is divided into two sections.  One with CD quality or better and the other section with MP3 stuff.  In total, I have around 130K tracks in the system.   The following screen grab is only the high-quality tracks loaded.  I have two different servers that have this same library with no issues.  I have not run the library on the NUC as a server.  My Core i7 Sonic Transporter and my DIY  Xeon server do not even notice this as a load.  The network bridge or Output does not see any of this only the music passing through it to the DAC.   

803740350_ScreenShot2019-02-18at4_05_08PM.thumb.png.5fc005b28d21100c769b65dbe983c938.png

Here is a good reference to Roon:  

https://roonlabs.com/howroonworks.html

There are several threads here on AS about Roon and a lot of information over at their community site.

Good luck on your build.

bob