IGNORED

From 0 to NUC/AL/RAM in 2 hours

In your favorite Windows PC web browser download your Linux image and a copy of Etcher.

http://audio-linux.com

https://www.balena.io/etcher/

Put the USB stick in your machine.

Install and run Etcher.  

Etcher prompts you for the location of the image file you want to flash to your USB stick. 

Etcher should show the target as your USB drive!  MAKE Sure because it ERASES the target!

It takes 10-15 minutes to complete flashing the USB stick.  

hi, @bobfa I got the image file and etcher. Installed etcher to windows and used it to put the img headless file on a new 64GB memory stick. I  navigated to the file OK and asked etcher to flash to the memory stick, But afterwards it just says I need to format the drive first? Can you (anyone) elaborate on the process with more detail as I am stuck? Thanks!

25 minutes ago, bobfa said:

When etcher is done the USB stick is not in a format that windows really understands.  You I just take the USB stick and boot it in the NUC or whatever is going to be your AL device.

Now if you are talking about the USB not booting in the NUC you have to make sure the Boot settings are right.  UFEI needs to be on and the Boot Security stuff needs to be off!

OK thanks! First step flash the memory stick with the img file. I restored the memory stick with gparted to an un-allocated space. Now I just put it in the USB slot and flash? When it is done; pull it straight out? don't need to look for it in windows explorer? don't need an eject procedure? don't need to extract the .img file? (like extracting an .ISO file) or anything?

Just pull it out and leave it be?

I thought maybe the windows wasn't recognising it after the flash with formatting, thanks for the confirmation on this!

And, I have no need to format PRIOR TO flashing?

Good help, thank you.

etcher s-shot.jpg

...and maybe help someone else too, looking for a little push in the right direction.

3 minutes ago, bobfa said:

Once the stick is flashed in etcher yank it out, you are done. 

after the download I did (and always have to!) UNBLOCK the file at the bottom of the properties window, but it won't let me copy it anywere else? ERROR code: 0x80070522 - A Required Privilege Is Not Held By The Client. So, I have to attempt the flash from the downloads folder.

Now for the “smoke test.”  You need to connect the keyboard, display, mouse, network. Finally, plug in the power cable and press the power switch to turn on the computer.   

** do not plug the USB stick in yet ** 

Making the initial changes to the BIOS

If the NUC passed the smoke test, the computer boots up to the BIOS where you have to make some settings changes. 

Powered ON the NUC.

Intel NUC7CJYH. 
Akasa Newton JC Fan-less.

NUC splash screen comes on for a brief split second, then straight to > "a bootable device has not been detected"? Unlike other BIOS there is no message saying which key to press to enter the BIOS (e.g. F10/DEL)?

But considering there is no SDD/HDD, memory stick, CD drive, etc. I am not surprised that is says this! All there is; is the RAM!

So, now stuck yet again - sorry!

4 minutes ago, bobfa said:

You have to go into the bios and turn off boot security.  I did not use that model NUC so I have no experience there.  Look around the forum some more.  

right OK, many thanks, I'll have a little look around and search and see if I can find anything about this problem. I'll let you know later.

@bobfa 

hi, bob - still having fun!

Select Cancel to return to the main menu screen and select Reboot.  The computer reboots and automatically loads the OS into RAM.

As the machine boots up and pauses for a few seconds displaying this screen.  It will automatically start-up in RAM after that delay. 

IMG_0836.thumb.jpeg.f76111ab1b85ca93efb2193ef4f30263.jpeg

...gets as far as this given that some of the menus are a little different to your s/shots. and says "loading files....", then it just goes back to: 

IMG_0824.thumb.jpg.9ad83f5b61b5c9dfdb5cb35e28368458.jpg

....so anyone else experienced this with Intel NUC7CJYH? Anyone got this NUC/AL combo up and running successfully? How did you do it?

12 minutes ago, davide256 said:

Your first screen shot shows it booting to RAM, the next is the normal menu displayed when "audiolinux" default user login is used. The usual next step

in a new setupis to select 1 for configuration,next choose disable running audio services in case something was preselected, then choose

your media player choice, usually Roonbridge  or an HQPlayer NAA option when using celeron NUC. Because you have boot to RAM

already enabled you will have to choose "Save system" when done or else changes will be lost at reboot.

If you are using LMS, someone else will need to chime in.

hi davide

I'll check these points out, all worth investigating. thanks.

35 minutes ago, davide256 said:

The usual next step in a new setup is to select 1 for configuration,next choose disable running audio services in case something was preselected,

then choose your media player choice, usually Roonbridge option when using celeron NUC.

Because you have boot to RAM already enabled you will have to choose "Save system" when done or else changes will be lost at reboot.

hi

disable running audio services

choose your media player choice, usually Roonbridge

choose "Save system" .

All done! Same result as above:

...gets as far as this given that some of the menus are a little different to bobs s/shots. and says "loading root files to RAM....", then it just goes back to: 

45 minutes ago, bobfa said:

You are running Roon Serrver!

BOOT PROBLEMS CHECKLIST

1) Be sure that the image was correctly made with the official how-to.
If by chance you were using this
gunzip -c audiolinux_203.img.gz | dd of=/dev/sda1
instead of
gunzip -c audiolinux_203.img.gz | dd of=/dev/sda
a partition will be missing

2) Disable SecureBoot, FastBoot and other Windows options

3) Disable completely all Intel securities options, if you have Intel bios

4) Disable legacy boot, so that you have only UEFI (this is important for Intel NUC)

5) Set the default boot to the USB or the internal HD where you installed audiolinux

6) Disable all other boot options (including network boot), excluding the one you are using

7) Remove all other hard disk and USB drives connected to the computer

08) Try to change USB port (this happens a lot of times, some USB ports are not boot compatible)

9) Check if your USB stick is supporting booting. Some does not. SanDisk Extreme is the one recommended

10) Eventually press F10 or F11 or some other key (see bios documentation) to open the boot menu. If you don't see nothing, most probably the audiolinux copy is corrupted or incorrectly made

11) Poweroff completely the computer, detach the power chord, wait some time and poweron. Uefi will refresh devices. 

1) used the link supplied in the email when I purchased the O/S.

2) done as far as I know?

3) done as far as I know?

4) done as far as I know?

5) done as far as I know?

6) done as far as I know?

7) done

08) tried

9) don't know: 

Brand: Kingston/64GB
MPN:    DT100G3/xxxGB

10)?
11) done

anyone have ideas/clues?

@bobfa

Select Cancel to return to the main menu screen and select Reboot.  The computer reboots and automatically loads the OS into RAM.

As the machine boots up and pauses for a few seconds displaying this screen.  It will automatically start-up in RAM after that delay. 

After the boot to RAM is complete, the Audiolinux menu appears.  From the Audiolinux menu check the CPU temperature found on the “Status” page.  Also check the Audio Status from the “Configuration” Page. 

IMG_0832.thumb.jpg.1df3aa0772bedd1360ca96f4b8677b36.jpg

HURRAY!  Pat yourself on the back.  Toast yourself!  Your Audiolinux Roon endpoint should be fully operational.  Grab a USB cable and DAC and hook them up.  Fire up the Roon application to add the new device to your audio system.  

There are some more steps to perform, but for testing purposes, you can run the system right now to see how it works.  

I think the penny has just dropped!

After the above instructions I was expecting the NUC to boot up to a GUI desktop like windows does and that is why I thought there was something wrong? But perhaps what I have done already is the actual end result in itself? Perhaps it only boots up to this screen?

...maybe that's it!

At this point it is already fully up and running? There is no desktop? Yes?

So, if that is indeed 'it', are all the settings I have made on the first page of this tutorial forgotten when the NUC is shutdown and unplugged, so that, you have to go through all this procedure every time you switch the NUC back on? Or are all the settings saved in the BIOS and memory stick?

Can the memory stick be pulled out after the boot up?

And can I now use this like say a microrendu without the keyboard/mouse & monitor? ('headless''?)

Won't it just 'stall/halt' without the keyboard/mouse & monitor attached?

Much appreciate all your time and effort in this tutorial.

46 minutes ago, elan120 said:

Looks like AL/OS is working fine, but you will need to configure how you want the endpoint to receive the signals.

What music player will you be using?

Roon?

HQPlayer?

Others?  If it is Others, which one is it?

@elan120

Roon on trial on a laptop, with a sonic transporter server and NAS storage.

To 'see'  the NUC on the google browser I'll need a URL link/IP address?

thanks!

36 minutes ago, happydance said:

@elan120

Roon on trial on a laptop, with a sonic transporter server and NAS storage.

To 'see'  the NUC on the google browser I'll need a URL link/IP address?

thanks!

@elan120

The NUC appears on my router as 'audiolinux'/192.168.1.109 , but it won't load into the browser, and it doesn't appear among my devices? 

This site can’t be reached

192.168.1.109 refused to connect.

Try:

ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED
33 minutes ago, elan120 said:

Since you are using Roon, you will need to go to Configuration page by selecting (1) from the main page when you first boot up.

Once you are in Configuration page, do the following as a start.  You can change to different settings later to experiment:

1. Select (5) START and enable Roonbridge.
  2. Select either 13 or 14 (SET Realtime Priority to either Standard or Extreme - suggest to start with Standard.
  3. Select either 17, 18, or 19 (SET boot to Extreme, Extreme2 or Standard) - suggest to start with Extreme.
  4. Select 15 (ENABLE ramroot)
  5. Select 22 (Save System) - If you are in ram mode already, but if you have not enabled ramroot, all above configuration will be saved in your USB memory stick.
  6. Select "Cancel" to exit out of Configuration page.
  7. Select "Reboot" from Main page while leaving the USB memory stick plugged in.
  8. Once the NUC is done with reboot, select Configuration page again.
  9. Select (1) SHOW running audio services from Configuration page.  You should see all items you selected earlier showing on this page.
  10. Once you have confirmed all is correct, remove the USB stick, with ramroot enabled, your NUC should still be running.
  11. Start Roon, and open your Roon setup menu.
  12. In settings, click the Audio tab, and in the Networked section, you should be able to see the list of audio devices discovered by Roon Bridge.
  13. Enable Roon Bridge.
  14. You now should be to setup your Roon zone with the Roon Bridge you just enabled.
  15. Complete the zone setting and play music.

image.png.80c4476f6c104d33737d7c5c583bc276.png

Do I need to do this as well as the tutorial at the beginning of the thread?

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/55383-from-0-to-nucalram-in-2-hours/     (#1)

9 minutes ago, elan120 said:

Which part?

this part....

Audiolinux Setup

We are now on the final leg of the setup.  With great thanks to Piero Olmeda, the author of Audiolinux distribution this part this part is pretty simple!

When the machine boots up, some text goes by and if all is well the computer displays the Audiolinux menu screen.

You may see a few differences in this screen depending upon what version of the system menu you have installed.  Piero updates the different parts of the OS on a regular basis.  Before we start with the configuration, you should update the system. 

This menu is driven merely by the cursor keys, the number pad, and the enter key.  So cursor down to the update menu and press enter. 

Since you are not getting ahead of me yet, you are booting and running off of the USB stick, so no RAM mode issues need to be addressed.  Note that I am running this NUC as a Roon endpoint so I have not explored other audio packages.    During the install steps, you need the default passwords for Audiolinux.  I assume that they might change so, please refer to the Audio-Linux.com website to find them. (scroll down and look or search on the page for the correct passwords.

IMG_0825.thumb.jpg.59a3a349fbf0eee4539eba4d0660a11e.jpg

Cursor down and select the update menu item.

You need to run the first four updates if you are following along with me.  I did them in order.  (I do not know if that order  is “correct”). You will need your passwords during this.

IMG_0829.thumb.jpg.74f2945d57a2eb7dc8c430dac32064b5.jpg

After you have completed the last update of the Audiolinux menu go back to the first page and select option 8 Console Mode.   

That takes you to the command line. DON’T PANIC!  Just type in the command: 

menu and press enter.  

You have restarted the Audiolinux menu, so the new version runs.  

You are now going to configure the system to be a Roon endpoint, run in RAM and extreme mode.

IMG_0826.thumb.jpg.b38bce45fc57382e0081cce8eff55e29.jpg

From the first screen select the configuration menu item.  The above screen appears. Select the Roonbridge men item to set-up endpoint.

IMG_0827.thumb.jpg.1ced7971d39296d1c9b8c68536d24f91.jpg

After that completes set number 14 (scroll down) Set real-time priority to “extreme." 

IMG_0830.thumb.jpg.dabbd95d932fb7c96cedc1c58a935b72.jpg

Finally, select 15 enable ramroot. 

After the boot to RAM is complete, the Audiolinux menu appears.  From the Audiolinux menu check the CPU temperature found on the “Status” page.  Also check the Audio Status from the “Configuration” Page. 

IMG_0832.thumb.jpg.1df3aa0772bedd1360ca96f4b8677b36.jpg

HURRAY!  Pat yourself on the back.  Toast yourself!  Your Audiolinux Roon endpoint should be fully operational.  Grab a USB cable and DAC and hook them up.  Fire up the Roon application to add the new device to your audio system.  

There are some more steps to perform, but for testing purposes, you can run the system right now to see how it works.  

@bobfa 

...having followed your initial tutorial in post #1  i.e audiolinux setup:

do I also need to follow this instruction from @elan120 ...

Since you are using Roon, you will need to go to Configuration page by selecting (1) from the main page when you first boot up.

Once you are in Configuration page, do the following as a start.  You can change to different settings later to experiment:

1. Select (5) START and enable Roonbridge.
  2. Select either 13 or 14 (SET Realtime Priority to either Standard or Extreme - suggest to start with Standard.
  3. Select either 17, 18, or 19 (SET boot to Extreme, Extreme2 or Standard) - suggest to start with Extreme.
  4. Select 15 (ENABLE ramroot)
  5. Select 22 (Save System) - If you are in ram mode already, but if you have not enabled ramroot, all above configuration will be saved in your USB memory stick.
  6. Select "Cancel" to exit out of Configuration page.
  7. Select "Reboot" from Main page while leaving the USB memory stick plugged in.
  8. Once the NUC is done with reboot, select Configuration page again.
  9. Select (1) SHOW running audio services from Configuration page.  You should see all items you selected earlier showing on this page.
  10. Once you have confirmed all is correct, remove the USB stick, with ramroot enabled, your NUC should still be running.
  11. Start Roon, and open your Roon setup menu.
  12. In settings, click the Audio tab, and in the Networked section, you should be able to see the list of audio devices discovered by Roon Bridge.
  13. Enable Roon Bridge.
  14. You now should be to setup your Roon zone with the Roon Bridge you just enabled.
  15. Complete the zone setting and play music.

maybe @elan120 & @bobfa can confer constructively and positively with each other to resolve this conundrum and help me to find a way forward?

The two sets of instruction seem quite similar and perhaps you can work together and pool your combined knowledge to result in a suitable solution? That would help not only me but other interested parties who wish to try this out for themselves?

thanks for ALL the support so far (to everyone).

1. Select 15 (ENABLE ramroot)
  2. Select 22 (Save System) - If you are in ram mode already, but if you have not enabled ramroot, all above configuration will be saved in your USB memory stick.

this seems a little contradictory? i.e. enable ramroot/not enable ramroot? Please clarify and elaborate. many thanks!

2 hours ago, bobfa said:

I would suggest that you separate the RAMROOT stuff from configuration.  Setup running from USB and make sure it works.  Then setup RAMROOT.  Avoids confusion.

The status menu and ramroot status will tell you what service are running and if you are in RAM.

I have not been running AL on my endpoint for a couple of months now.  I have been testing with another OS.  

Is there a 'gateway' page for the NUC/AL with a URL or IP address? Like the kind of thing you get with sonic orbiter so that I can control the NUC/AL through the laptop chrome google web browser?

Or do you have to plug in the monitor/mouse & keyboard to make changes (& monitor/observe the NUC)?

Thanks!