IGNORED

From 0 to NUC/AL/RAM in 2 hours

1 hour ago, sam1000 said:

Thanks Bob, Great efforts!!

Not sure if this is an appropriate question for this thread. I'm trying to source NUC7i7DNHE board, but all I see is a NUC kit and not the board by itself. Can the board be removed from this kit and then be placed in Akasa case? 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1401552-REG/intel_blknuc7i7dnh1e_intel_nuc_nuc7i7dnhe_dawson.html

This "kit" will work just fine, and the board can be extracted easily.  In addition to the same board as NUC7i7DNBE, the wifi card also is included.

• 4 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, John769 said:

Great thread, thanks.!  Anyone know if there's enough height to fit a JPLAY net or Intel X520 card into the Akasa Plato X7D (A NUC39-M1B)?  Otherwise, will need to get a longer cable, I guess around 25cm?, and use externally.  Thinking of this riser:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/M-2-NGFF-NVMe-M-Key2280-To-PCIe-3-0-4x-Riser-Card-Cable-PCI-Express/32833359557.html

It won't have enough headroom to fit these card vertically, but if you lay the card flat (side ways), there might have enough room in the front section to fit the card, but it will be very tight, and in addition, you will likely be removing the two USB3.0 extension cables to create enough room, as well as having longer Ethernet cables to reach the card.  Fitting card externally likely be better solution.

17 minutes ago, happydance said:

1) used the link supplied in the email when I purchased the O/S.

2) done as far as I know?

3) done as far as I know?

4) done as far as I know?

5) done as far as I know?

6) done as far as I know?

7) done

08) tried

9) don't know: 

Brand: Kingston/64GB
MPN:    DT100G3/xxxGB

10)?
11) done

anyone have ideas/clues?

Looks like AL/OS is working fine, but you will need to configure how you want the endpoint to receive the signals.

What music player will you be using?

Roon?

HQPlayer?

Others?  If it is Others, which one is it?

Since you are using Roon, you will need to go to Configuration page by selecting (1) from the main page when you first boot up.

Once you are in Configuration page, do the following as a start.  You can change to different settings later to experiment:

1. Select (5) START and enable Roonbridge.
  2. Select either 13 or 14 (SET Realtime Priority to either Standard or Extreme - suggest to start with Standard.
  3. Select either 17, 18, or 19 (SET boot to Extreme, Extreme2 or Standard) - suggest to start with Extreme.
  4. Select 15 (ENABLE ramroot)
  5. Select 22 (Save System) - If you are in ram mode already, but if you have not enabled ramroot, all above configuration will be saved in your USB memory stick.
  6. Select "Cancel" to exit out of Configuration page.
  7. Select "Reboot" from Main page while leaving the USB memory stick plugged in.
  8. Once the NUC is done with reboot, select Configuration page again.
  9. Select (1) SHOW running audio services from Configuration page.  You should see all items you selected earlier showing on this page.
  10. Once you have confirmed all is correct, remove the USB stick, with ramroot enabled, your NUC should still be running.
  11. Start Roon, and open your Roon setup menu.
  12. In settings, click the Audio tab, and in the Networked section, you should be able to see the list of audio devices discovered by Roon Bridge.
  13. Enable Roon Bridge.
  14. You now should be to setup your Roon zone with the Roon Bridge you just enabled.
  15. Complete the zone setting and play music.

image.png.80c4476f6c104d33737d7c5c583bc276.png

2 hours ago, happydance said:

After the above instructions I was expecting the NUC to boot up to a GUI desktop like windows does and that is why I thought there was something wrong? But perhaps what I have done already is the actual end result in itself? Perhaps it only boots up to this screen?

IMG_0824.thumb.jpg.9ad83f5b61b5c9dfdb5cb35e28368458.jpg

...maybe that's it!

At this point it is already fully up and running? There is no desktop? Yes?

This is correct.

So, if that is indeed 'it', are all the settings I have made on the first page of this tutorial forgotten when the NUC is shutdown and unplugged, so that, you have to go through all this procedure every time you switch the NUC back on? Or are all the settings saved in the BIOS and memory stick?

Can the memory stick be pulled out after the boot up?

With the "ramroot" enabled, AL is loaded in the RAM (not BIOS), USB stick can be unplugged from the NUC to improve the SQ and not affecting the system.  In this condition, to save any changes to the NUC will require putting back USB stick and select "Save System" from the main menu.

And can I now use this like say a microrendu without the keyboard/mouse & monitor? ('headless''?)

Won't it just 'stall/halt' without the keyboard/mouse & monitor attached?

Yes, it can be used like any other endpoints in headless without keyboard, mouse, and monitor attached.  Once NUC is up and running, you can also use Putty to access NUC using assigned IP address, with both user and password "audiolinux".