IGNORED

From 0 to NUC/AL/RAM in 2 hours

All,

I will check but I can still edit the main post so we should be good.  I had the idea of keeping the first post up to date with the configuration of my endpoint.  I will be adding the other configuration changes for timezone, etc. to the post so it is "finished".

There are two other threads around the server side configurations and the Audio Linux config testing thread.  I will add them in above.

I will still report sound quality findings on the "Massive" thread.

Going forward here I am investigating a couple of endpoint themes and if they work out I will adjust the config as needed.  

IF anyone has updates that will help others to understand building your own endpoint, has suggestions for fixes, etc.  Please feel free.  I abbreviated a few things that could use some more words.

Thanks for all the kind words and support!

Off to work on my HDPLEX power supply powering the server homework @austinpop assigned the other day!  

4 hours ago, Dutch said:

Regarding the build process I’m afraid you overused thermal paste on the CPU. It’s difficult to say how much to use exactly but the less that is used the better. What one wants is a thin layer filling up the microscopic holes between the CPU and heatsink. Of course you need not panic as the excess paste will be pushed out. I generally apply a 1mm wide line from top to bottom. That line will spread out, without bubbles, over the entire surface, when attaching the heatsink. Another technique is applying a drop in de middle. See for example: https://m.wikihow.com/Apply-Thermal-Paste

Dutch I will put a note under the picture with your quote thanks.  This helps with the goal of having a good summary in the mater posts.  It is trying to fake a wiki!

2 hours ago, bruny said:

I have an older model Intel NUC D54250WYK i5. I have it in a Akasa fanless  H1 case. My question is would this model be suitable for this build. 

Bruny,

I d do not know how that NUC will sound.  There are a lot of variables!

Before you do anything I do not know if the older devices will boot from UFEI as the new Audio Linux is setup to do.  

The procedure is pretty simple you could purchase an Audio Linux License, and a 32GB USB stick to test with.  Then follow the sections for building the USB boot, setting up the BIOS and setting up Audio Linux.

Bob

2 hours ago, DaQi said:

I just did the same build and was planning to post some pics but your post covers everything. I just went with a Windows 10 and JRMC install but the hardware is almost identical. Had a bit of problems sourcing the Intel NUC7i7BDNE board but got one from a company called SimplyNUC. The want to sell it with RAM and SSD but you can get the bareboard. I had an SSD and only needed to buy the RAM which I got elsewhere. The case was ordered on Amazon and took two weeks to arrive. It was easier to build than my previous build I did a couple years ago using an i5 NUC board and the first Akasa fanless case. One thing I noted was that this does not have an IR receiver while my older one did. I used an IR remote for a while but haven't used it in a long time so not a major loss. My NUC does double duty as a home theatre player for which I have VLC installed. 

That first smoke test is always a bit of a pucker moment while you wait for it to boot up and come to life. 

I found that if you start the "purchase" process on the Intel NUC site it shows you places to buy the product.  By doing that with Simply NUC you can avoid their up-sell items.  I have purchased from SimplyNUC also.  The Akasa cases seem to be in low stock.  I wonder if we are increasing the demand??

Thanks for sharing what you built and your experience. 

7 hours ago, mrkoven said:

Thanks a lot for the guide! Can this function as Roon core or just endpoint?

The computer could be a Roon core, mine is not yet setup to do that.  I feel that it needs persistant storage so a 32GB Optane “SSD” for storage and then reconfigure Audio Liniux. 

I have the Optane SSD but I have not done the work to setup Audio Linux or installed it yet.  This is on the “bucket” list.

I am also looking at trying the endpoint with an internal wireless network.  This “might” reduce the need for an audiophile network switch.  

14 hours ago, flkin said:

What an excellent effort! Bravo Bob!

Filkin,

Thank you very much.  I am continuing to work to update the lead post to show in one place what I am doing.  I am playing with NUC as a server right now, so that has been fun also.  I will add to the first post some links as  I get that part of the project completed.

Udis,

I have an existing Roon Server that is bridged.  The Sonic Transporter i7 DSP.  I find that it works rather well.  I have recently put an HDPLEX 200 power supply on it and the system sound quality improved.  This is the point where I am today.  I will be proceeding down a couple of paths.  I have a TLS switch on order.  I am writing up a system design post that will be out soon.  Please hang on.  Note that this post is NUC Roon AL endpoint.  I am keeping it there.  Each leg of my system design will have its own base post that I can keep up to date.

If you are asking about for the server and the hardware on this thread yes it fits fine.   The only addition for the server I am testing is the Optane memory.

IF you are talking about some other build you need to check the exact model NUC on the Akasa case site to match the case to the board..  The Plato X7D case is designed for the Dawson Cannon chipset NUC.

Sam1000,

That NUC is not the one that I put in the case. I used the NUC7i7BDNE bare board.  Now the DNHE model appears to be Dawson Canyon and it should fit. I have not tried to disassemble one of the NUC systems.  There were a couple of posts and I think a link to a youtube video on tearing down the  NUC7CJYH.  I would bet the process is similar.  Again not something I have tried.  

I tried to make it simpler on myself.  I have noticed that there appears to be a shortage of these things right now.  

Bob

1 hour ago, sam1000 said:

Thanks Bob. Thanks to your step by step instructions, I was able to build the roon endpoint yesterday. I don't have a LPS yet, but I like what I'm hearing. I wouldn't have started the project without your instructions post! Cheers..

I am very happy to help and glad you were successful. 

Geoff,

It looks like your music drive mount point is sdb1.  See the label Samsung SSD Music.  There are a couple of issues here that need to be addressed.

1. I have never run  LMS server so I do not know what that looks like to setup. It appears to be standard in the AL build.

2. Your SSD drive is formatted hfsplus which is standard for macOS.  We have to research to see of Linux will properly mount that format.

So  from a quick read on the Arch Linux site it looks like you should be able to mount the music drive for use.  As far as LMS I think you will have to ask around some more.  You could create a thread on what you are doing so you have a targeted place to discuss that as needed.

Bob

PS have fun!

Hello,

Roon is a separate discussion that we can have. I would say that NOTHING is flawless!  Roon Labs keeps innovating and updating their software.

10K tracks is a walk in the park.  My library is divided into two sections.  One with CD quality or better and the other section with MP3 stuff.  In total, I have around 130K tracks in the system.   The following screen grab is only the high-quality tracks loaded.  I have two different servers that have this same library with no issues.  I have not run the library on the NUC as a server.  My Core i7 Sonic Transporter and my DIY  Xeon server do not even notice this as a load.  The network bridge or Output does not see any of this only the music passing through it to the DAC.   

803740350_ScreenShot2019-02-18at4_05_08PM.thumb.png.5fc005b28d21100c769b65dbe983c938.png

Here is a good reference to Roon:  

https://roonlabs.com/howroonworks.html

There are several threads here on AS about Roon and a lot of information over at their community site.

Good luck on your build.

bob

John,

When I did the work of documenting in one place the process of setting up the NUC endpoint I hoped that it would help others to replicate it.  The NUC is one step in a larger project to improve what we are listening to.  I will update the master post to include your questions.

Sit back and listen for a while!

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

The fans in the Intel NUC cases never seem to shut off.    Things get warmer in there than you think.  

I like what the folks at SimplyNUC have done.  I have not purchased one yet.

IP address is controlled by the OS.  I have not looked at Audio Linux to see how to do that, I use DHCP.  Roon has a discovery protocol that  it runs on the network to find devices.

4 hours ago, austinpop said:

@TheAttorney

@hifi25nl just added a menu-driven way to set static IP to the latest Audiolinux menu version 105. So if you need it, it's there.

@hifi25nl never quits making little changes to improve the headless OS.  I think we are at the point now that you can boot the USB stick and create a Roon Server on an Optane or other SSD and never touch the command line!  Kudos again!

3 minutes ago, deanorthk said:

confirmed the only NUC I can get easely (and not bare board) is the NUC7I7DNH2E which cost roughly 600 euro/630$ for me.

I guess to begin with this is going to be my endpoint of choice with 1 8gb ram stick and a 32gb USB. The akasa case cost a hell lot to get to my remonte island.

If you did not order yet.  Look at the simplynuc fanless case system.  Called the porcoolpine.  It is all built up for you.