IGNORED

VinylStream Anyone?

Tried this today. They have a pretty good selection of about 20k albums digitized.

Picked out "Moanin'" by Art Blakey for comparison, as I have it in Tidal, CD, and hi-res remaster.
It sounded fine, but I thought my hi-res version sounded much better. I also preferred the CD version from Tidal, and even the MQA version from Tidal. Clearly different masters, but that's what I heard and preferred.
I'm not sure I see any real reason for this product. I assume anyone who really likes that vinyl sound would much prefer playback from an actual LP.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

23 hours ago, mansr said:

The website lists name, address, phone number, and tax ID for a company in Germany. I can't tell whether they are real, but illegal operations don't usually bother with such things.

Looks like at least one of the co-owner is having some pro-experience in internet services over the last 20 years.

Just the absence of technical details on the ripping process and about artist's copyrights make me wonder, how they got ripped 20 k Albums flawless: in my naive calculation they may have spent each some cosy 8 years of netto life time with 100% success rate on ripping the vinyl (4 hours a day netto ripping time/5 days a week/Album average 50 min) to archive their selection.
Does anyone know a site where one could buy legally Vinyl-Rips for more than "personal use" ?
The owners also offer another interesting service: https://www.taborandmentone.com/about-tabor-mentone.php
There are many ways to make some money from your hobby 😉

$20 per month is the same as Tidal hifi for a library that is a tiny fraction of the size of Tidal's. 

Plus, no mention of licensing, but they do mention that it is a "club" and that membership fees will cover "the ability to handle copyright issues."

On 1/12/2019 at 10:39 AM, firedog said:

And for those that want the "sound of vinyl" without the hassle:

https://www.sony.com/electronics/walkman/dmp-z1

Give every track the sound of vinyl with Vinyl Processor

Get lost again in the richness of the melodies and dynamics of your favorite albums by giving back the character of vinyl to your digital tracks. Subtle reproduction of the low-frequency resonance, tone-arm resistance, and surface noise deliver an authentic listening experience.

You can get this for free:

https://www.izotope.com/en/products/create-and-design/vinyl.html

vinyl-ui-gif.thumb.gif.d8e915dd657bd94de5f74751d8eab98f.gif

mQa is dead!

There’s also a 

3 hours ago, lucretius said:

There’s also a software called “Abbey Road Vinyl” which costs money but does a much better job. Makes your pristine digital recordings sound like vinyl, with lots of options.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

On 1/12/2019 at 8:49 AM, DuckToller said:

Looks like at least one of the co-owner is having some pro-experience in internet services over the last 20 years.

Just the absence of technical details on the ripping process and about artist's copyrights make me wonder, how they got ripped 20 k Albums flawless: in my naive calculation they may have spent each some cosy 8 years of netto life time with 100% success rate on ripping the vinyl (4 hours a day netto ripping time/5 days a week/Album average 50 min) to archive their selection.
Does anyone know a site where one could buy legally Vinyl-Rips for more than "personal use" ?
The owners also offer another interesting service: https://www.taborandmentone.com/about-tabor-mentone.php
There are many ways to make some money from your hobby 😉

Well they did not do the ripping since a good chunk of those are pbthal rips

• 1 month later...
On 1/12/2019 at 1:20 AM, firedog said:

Tried this today. They have a pretty good selection of about 20k albums digitized.

Picked out "Moanin'" by Art Blakey for comparison, as I have it in Tidal, CD, and hi-res remaster.
It sounded fine, but I thought my hi-res version sounded much better. I also preferred the CD version from Tidal, and even the MQA version from Tidal. Clearly different masters, but that's what I heard and preferred.
I'm not sure I see any real reason for this product. I assume anyone who really likes that vinyl sound would much prefer playback from an actual LP.

Found this thread last month searching for completing some vinyl gaps in my collection. Got curious and registered at vinylstream for the 1 month free trial. Was definitely worth it. Comprehensive architecture, works quite well, sometimes a little slow between tracks due to buffering lossless files. For my taste, it is very complete. Hardly any Rock or Pop LP from the 60s, 70s, 80s or 90s... not found on the platform, very impressive. Pressings are mostly originals, but as well re-pressings and new pressings. Allows comparing among them, which I think is great. Artwork mostly included, sometimes twisted though. Good jazz selection, lots of first class shows never issued before on any media. Very good collection in Classical too, many reference recordings. Found no info regarding ripping gear - seems to me as there are various rippers involved - but sounds excellent on my hi-end and respects perfectly dynamic range of the originals. Very different and probably a gem for the vinyl crowd. Nevertheless, I will contact and insist in discount since $20 is quite a word. Anyone interested to join effort?