IGNORED

batteries?

On 1/11/2019 at 10:25 PM, marce said:

Nope, the question was rhetorical.

Those batteries are not graphene batteries.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/graphene-1000mah-4s-65c-w-xt60.html

Turnigy Graphene packs utilize carbon in the battery structure to form a single layer of graphene just 0.335nm thick, making that type of battery substrate the thinnest known to mankind. The graphene particles form a highly dense compound allowing electrons to flow with less resistance compared to traditional Lipoly battery technologies. 

Uh! ~ how so?

19 hours ago, Tomslin said:

It’s a generalization. “Batteries don’t supply a constant voltage”, yes. "Requirements for most circuits", yes, but for most devices, no. Therefore, most devices such as usb cards, ethernet cards, ddc, dac etc, can be powered with a voltage in a wider range than as stated as supply voltage. Batteries with voltages that falls within this range therefore work well without a regulator. The reason is that most devices already have built-in regulators, also applies to all motherboards.

thank you!

15 hours ago, Tomslin said:

Yes it’s true. It's often these internal regulators determine the quality of a particular device. But a battery without a regulator can actually be better power supply for a device than the same with one. And provide better SQ. That's the difference I wanted to present.

thank you again!

1 hour ago, the_doc735 said:

no reply?

My reply was that I agreed with Ralph. So I just quoted his own text. Hence:

I would never ever rely on a slowly dropping voltage, that undoubtedly changing SQ in uncontrolled fashion. So a chip can run on e.g. 6.5V to 4V but I would never let it run like that. It doesn't matter whether it is 6.5V or 4V or 4.3V or anything in between, as long as I'd have a consistent situation which I can rely on. With the varying voltage I can't rely on anything. And somewhere along the line there will be a (SQ) sweet spot. For a few minutes ...

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

38 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

My reply was that I agreed with Ralph. So I just quoted his own text. Hence:

I would never ever rely on a slowly dropping voltage, that undoubtedly changing SQ in uncontrolled fashion. So a chip can run on e.g. 6.5V to 4V but I would never let it run like that. It doesn't matter whether it is 6.5V or 4V or 4.3V or anything in between, as long as I'd have a consistent situation which I can rely on. With the varying voltage I can't rely on anything. And somewhere along the line there will be a (SQ) sweet spot. For a few minutes ...

however @Tomslin  said:

"It’s a generalization. “Batteries don’t supply a constant voltage”, yes.

"Requirements for most circuits", yes, but for most devices, no.

Therefore, most devices such as usb cards, ethernet cards, ddc, dac etc, can be powered with a voltage in a wider range than as stated as supply voltage.

Batteries with voltages that falls within this range therefore work well without a regulator.

The reason is that most devices already have built-in regulators, also applies to all motherboards. 

It's often these internal regulators determine the quality of a particular device, but a battery without a regulator can actually be better power supply for a device than the same with one, and provide better SQ.

That's the difference I wanted to present."

27 minutes ago, the_doc735 said:

I disagree, I don't think it is just marketing. They wouldn't be able to sell them as containing graphene if they don't! They would be fined/prosecuted for false advertising! Anyway I'll write to the manufacturer and ask them about your allegation.

They may be adding graphene to the electrodes by now.  The purportedly improves conductivity with reduced overall carbon content.  The free carbon currently used causes faster degradation of the battery.  

@mansr  

Rob (HobbyKing Support Centre)

Jan 14, 14:11 EST

Hello DOC,

It is not merely a marketing exercise. Our Graphene batteries most certainly do use graphene in their composition.

Let me know if you need further assistance.

Regards,
Rob

HobbyKing US Product Support Team
Don't forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook for discounts and promotions!
http://www.facebook.com/HobbyKing
www.twitter.com/hobbykinglive
https://www.youtube.com/user/HobbykingLive

🤔

Of course they'd say that. Maybe they even put some graphene in the batteries. The question is, what is the function of the graphene? There are at least three options:

1. Being part of the actual battery chemistry.
  2. Enhancing the electrodes, thereby perhaps allowing smaller/thinner batteries or increasing their lifetime.
  3. Allowing them to say there's graphene in the batteries without it being a complete lie.
24 minutes ago, mansr said:

Of course they'd say that. Maybe they even put some graphene in the batteries. The question is, what is the function of the graphene? There are at least three options:

1. Being part of the actual battery chemistry.
  2. Enhancing the electrodes, thereby perhaps allowing smaller/thinner batteries or increasing their lifetime.
  3. Allowing them to say there's graphene in the batteries without it being a complete lie.

I believe the question was: "....are graphene batteries in audio superior power providers to SMPS?"

NOT:

"what is the function of the graphene?"...

...there are some posts out there explaining the function(s) of graphene if anyone needs to know.

"Of course they'd say that."   So, you're effectively intimating that they are lying by using some sort of technical loophole?

I believe the question was: "....are graphene batteries in audio superior power providers to SMPS?"

NOT:

"what is the function of the graphene?"... (write to turnigy and ask, mansr! wink wink*)

...there are some posts out there explaining the function(s) of graphene if anyone needs to know.

"Of course they'd say that."   So, you're effectively intimating that they are lying by using some sort of technical loophole?

*"Turnigy Graphene packs utilize carbon in the battery structure to form a single layer of graphene just 0.335nm thick, making that type of battery substrate the thinnest known to mankind. The graphene particles form a highly dense compound allowing electrons to flow with less resistance compared to traditional Lipoly battery technologies. The result is a battery capable of maintaining greater power output whilst remaining much cooler under load. Since heat and resistance are the natural enemy of batteries, Graphene chemistry has significantly reduced these problems and the result is an incredible boost in cycle life and performance."

17 hours ago, the_doc735 said:

I disagree, I don't think it is just marketing. They wouldn't be able to sell them as containing graphene if they don't! They would be fined/prosecuted for false advertising! Anyway I'll write to the manufacturer and ask them about your allegation.

Disagree all you like they are NOT graphene batteries, look at the current level of research regarding graphene, the main centre is at Manchester Uni....