Jump to content
MarkS

SFP vs. Ethernet

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

I watched with interest the latest installment of Audiophile 5 about the new opticalRendu. While interesting and informative, I was more intrigued by SFP and had not previously heard of an SFP network connection. Having been here for a very long time, I know there are tons of experts. So my question is does SFP present a (at least theoretical) sonic advantage over the traditional Ethernet connection on several modern DACs, such as Chris’ dCS Rossini. 

 

Thanks in advance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, MarkS said:

I watched with interest the latest installment of Audiophile 5 about the new opticalRendu. While interesting and informative, I was more intrigued by SFP and had not previously heard of an SFP network connection. Having been here for a very long time, I know there are tons of experts. So my question is does SFP present a (at least theoretical) sonic advantage over the traditional Ethernet connection on several modern DACs, such as Chris’ dCS Rossini. 

 

Thanks in advance. 

 

An SFP is a standard Ethernet pluggable module that has been around for decades. There are SFP modules that use regular copper Ethernet cables (RJ-45) as well as those that use fiberoptic Ethernet cables (LC-LC). SFP modules tend to be used in professional rather than consumer Ethernet switches and NICs.

 

An advantage is that there is complete galvanic as well as common mode noise isolation. Another advantage is that power consumption does not rise as speed goes up in the same way as copper Ethernet. Particularly at 10G there is a big power savings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, jabbr said:

An advantage is that there is complete galvanic as well as common mode noise isolation. Another advantage is that power consumption does not rise as speed goes up in the same way as copper Ethernet. Particularly at 10G there is a big power savings.

 

Thanks for this information. Would you anticipate these advantages to impact SQ versus traditional RJ-45?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MarkS said:

 

Thanks for this information. Would you anticipate these advantages to impact SQ versus traditional RJ-45?

Many people have found improved SQ in many situations but if there isn’t common mode noise on the Ethernet line then there probably won’t be a difference. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×