IGNORED

I need a music streamer with no dac?

Arken

Question

I need a music streamer (think you could also say network player)? I got the lks004 the other day because of all the rave reviews. Could not be happier, man that thing is nice!!  Great advise guys!!  Anyway i bought the Gustard U16 as the interface and to give my options on hooking everything up. So i need a digital transport(think i'm saying that right) But i don't want anything with a dac . So i guess what i'm asking for her is a Network player with no dac. I really don't store music. I mainly play from Tidal.  So any advise? Please around 500 would be the budget. 

25 answers to this question

SOtM sMs-200 Neo, $450:

https://sotm-usa.com/collections/sotm-ultra/products/sms-200-neo-network-player

Better sound than a microrendu from anything I've read, at a lower price and includes a power supply that you could upgrade down the road. 

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

On 1/12/2019 at 11:00 AM, audiobomber said:

SOtM sMs-200 Neo, $450:

https://sotm-usa.com/collections/sotm-ultra/products/sms-200-neo-network-player

Better sound than a microrendu from anything I've read, at a lower price and includes a power supply that you could upgrade down the road. 

Not sure where you've been reading, but you may want to try other sources in the future. I don't personally anyone else who has come to that conclusion.

JC

7 hours ago, TubeLover said:

Not sure where you've been reading, but you may want to try other sources in the future. I don't personally anyone else who has come to that conclusion.

Steve Plaskin, Audiostream:

https://www.audiostream.com/content/sotm-sms-200-mini-network-player-and-sotm-mbps-d2s-intelligent-battery-power-supply

Hans Beekhuyzen: 

http://thehbproject.com/en/reviews/204/3/SOtM-sMS-200:-the-sound

The only review I'm aware of that came to the opposite conclusion was @The Computer Audiophile on this site. If you read his review carefully however, you will note that he compared the sMs-200 with its freebie SMPS to the microrendu with $1000 Sonore power supply. Clearly a stacked deck, both units jump up in performance with a better PSU.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

15 hours ago, audiobomber said:

Steve Plaskin, Audiostream:

https://www.audiostream.com/content/sotm-sms-200-mini-network-player-and-sotm-mbps-d2s-intelligent-battery-power-supply

Hans Beekhuyzen

http://thehbproject.com/en/reviews/204/3/SOtM-sMS-200:-the-sound

The only review I'm aware of that came to the opposite conclusion was @The Computer Audiophile on this site. If you read his review carefully however, you will note that he compared the sMs-200 with its freebie SMPS to the microrendu with $1000 Sonore power supply. Clearly a stacked deck, both units jump up in performance with a better PSU.

Its a question of who you want to believe. To my knowledge, Hans Beekhuyzen seems to be mostly involved in Roon how-to videos currently (which are very helpful), and Steve Plaskin was an occasional  second chair contributor to Michael LaVorgna at Audiostream. I'll take input from Chris, who has had virtually every significant digital audio network player/streamer/renderer in his system and reviewed them since that category of device appeared. 

John Darko has also awared his Knockout Award to both the MicroRendu and the UltraRendu, it was also raved about in a five page Absolute Sound review by Vade Forrester 

There are also likely a few hundred members here in the forums with MicroRendu's and UltraRendus who I also suspect would beg to differ. And please understand that I say this meaning absolutely no disparagement whatsoever to SOtM. They make a nice product.

JC

8 hours ago, TubeLover said:

Its a question of who you want to believe. To my knowledge, Hans Beekhuyzen seems to be mostly involved in Roon how-to videos currently (which are very helpful), and Steve Plaskin was an occasional  second chair contributor to Michael LaVorgna at Audiostream. I'll take input from Chris, who has had virtually every significant digital audio network player/streamer/renderer in his system and reviewed them since that category of device appeared. 

John Darko has also awared his Knockout Award to both the MicroRendu and the UltraRendu, it was also raved about in a five page Absolute Sound review by Vade Forrester 

There are also likely a few hundred members here in the forums with MicroRendu's and UltraRendus who I also suspect would beg to differ. And please understand that I say this meaning absolutely no disparagement whatsoever to SOtM. They make a nice product.

You are grossly underestimating the review experience of both Beekhuyzen and Plaskin: 

http://thehbproject.com/en/reviews

https://www.audiostream.com/writer/32421

Chris's review did not compare the microrendu and sms-200 with the same power supply. He said so himself in the Comments section below the review:

"Each company sends a product how they want it tested. In this case the battery supply for the sotm and the signature for the mR."

The Sonore Signature PS cost $1399, the mBPS-d2S cost $400. Honestly, what do you think would the result have been if the had compared the sotm with Sonore PS and the microrendu with the sotm bps? 

John Darko has never reviewed a single SOtM product. Maybe that will change now that Plaskin is a Darko Audio reviewer. Or maybe not. The Absolute Sound has never reviewed a single SOtM product. Very odd, don't you think?

"There are also likely a few hundred members here in the forums with MicroRendu's and UltraRendus who I also suspect would beg to differ."

You have no idea how many AS members own either piece. I searched five pages of results for "microrendu sms-200". I only found three members who had directly compared each using the same ancillaries. All favoured the sMs-200:

I've presented two professional reviews three AS members' comments to back up my statement that the sms-200 sounds better than the microrendu. You have presented only your biased and uninformed opinions. 

Note: The sms-200 has now been upgraded to Neo status for $510 (power supply included), so even a better deal, and fits the OP's request for a solution "around $500". The $650 microrendu (without power supply) does not match the stated price range.

On 1/29/2019 at 10:21 AM, audiobomber said:

You are grossly underestimating the review experience of both Beekhuyzen and Plaskin: 

http://thehbproject.com/en/reviews

https://www.audiostream.com/writer/32421

Chris's review did not compare the microrendu and sms-200 with the same power supply. He said so himself in the Comments section below the review:

"Each company sends a product how they want it tested. In this case the battery supply for the sotm and the signature for the mR."

The Sonore Signature PS cost $1399, the mBPS-d2S cost $400. Honestly, what do you think would the result have been if the had compared the sotm with Sonore PS and the microrendu with the sotm bps? 

John Darko has never reviewed a single SOtM product. Maybe that will change now that Plaskin is a Darko Audio reviewer. Or maybe not. The Absolute Sound has never reviewed a single SOtM product. Very odd, don't you think?

"There are also likely a few hundred members here in the forums with MicroRendu's and UltraRendus who I also suspect would beg to differ."

You have no idea how many AS members own either piece. I searched five pages of results for "microrendu sms-200". I only found three members who had directly compared each using the same ancillaries. All favoured the sMs-200:

I've presented two professional reviews three AS members' comments to back up my statement that the sms-200 sounds better than the microrendu. You have presented only your biased and uninformed opinions. 

Note: The sms-200 has now been upgraded to Neo status for $510 (power supply included), so even a better deal, and fits the OP's request for a solution "around $500". The $650 microrendu (without power supply) does not match the stated price range.

I would love to know exactly how you have established that I am biased, as I have long been using an Aurender N100, which relates to neither option. And I have said not a single negative word about SOTM, and noted that they make good equipment.  Secondly, your "professional" reviewers would generally be considered second tier, and/or "out of the mainstream" at best. I've honestly tried to give you a break here, since the issue of the MicroRendu's sound quality, and it's incredible value has been so clearly established over the past couple years that there really isn't even any debate these days. Certainly not in this forum to any meaningful degree.

Michael Lavorgna, who headed up AudioStream for Stereophile , and was technically Steve Plaskin's "boss" assigning him secondary reviews, that he couldn't get to, said of the MicroRendu

"What More Do You Need To Know
If you own a USB DAC and want to play network-attached music through it, the Sonore microRendu is currently the best option I've come across—regardless of price. If that doesn't make your computer-audio-music-loving heart bulge with delight, I don't know what will.
Read more at https://www.audiostream.com/content/sonore-simple-design-microrendu#byOid0TSAg7wIpt9.99"

And mind you, that was well AFTER he had reviewed the SOTM equivalent. 

Oh well, it appears you will believe what you will. Good luck with that.

JC

9 hours ago, TubeLover said:

the issue of the MicroRendu's sound quality, and it's incredible value has been so clearly established over the past couple years that there really isn't even any debate these days. Certainly not in this forum to any meaningful degree.

Where's your evidence? The only "debate" I found was the three members who directly compared both with the same power supplies, and all preferred the sms-200. 

You're wrong about the dates in your Lavorgna quote. They had not reviewed SOtM when he said that, nor had anyone else. The sms-200 was shown for the first time at the Munich audio show, May 31, 2017. In June 2016 it was still in the pre-order stage. Once again, you have nothing but your unfounded opinion.

Sonore by Simple Design microRendu

Michael Lavorgna  |  Jun 30, 2016

SOtM sMS-200 Mini Network Player and SOtM mBPS-d2s Intelligent Battery Power Supply

Steven Plaskin  |  Mar 22, 2017  |  First Published: Mar 23, 2017

49 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

In June 2016 it was still in the pre-order stage. 

That should say  2017.

13 hours ago, audiobomber said:

That should say  2017.

Once again, you are taking things out of context and are wrong. I said above "And mind you, that was well AFTER he had reviewed the SOTM equivalent."

This review of the SOTM is from September 24th, 2015. He reviewed the MicroRendu June 30th, 2016, nine months later calling it "the best option he had come across"

https://www.audiostream.com/content/sotm-sms-1000sq

The review of the SOTM unit you are referring to took place nine months later, and would need to be compared to the UltraRendu, which is several steps above the MicroRendu and was released in the same timeframe as the upgraded SOTM device.

JC 

9 hours ago, TubeLover said:

https://www.audiostream.com/content/sotm-sms-1000sq

The review of the SOTM unit you are referring to took place nine months later, and would need to be compared to the UltraRendu, which is several steps above the MicroRendu and was released in the same timeframe as the upgraded SOTM device.

Wow, you are seriously confused. The sMs-1000SQ linked in your last post cost $3000, and has not been mentioned previously in this thread. I have consistently referenced the SOtM sMs-200 exclusively, which cost $450 with a 9V power supply, vs. the microrendu, which costs $650 with no PSU. Maybe re-read this entire thread to get yourself back on track.

Debate aside:)

The microRendu start at 429 for B-Stock unit. These B-Stock units have a new processor, new mSD card, new case, new box, new warranty card, and recertified I/O board. If you order a B-Stock unit with an iFi that comes out to 478 USD.  If you order a B-Stock unit with a linear supply that comes out to 569 USD.

This is what I can do (this weekend only in celebration of the big game) and you most purchase via www.sonore.us:

Buy B-Stock unit with a linear supply and I'll refund you via PayPal 50 USD. That is in addition to free shipping which you get anyways. After purchase just email [email protected] a link to this thread. Offer end at midnight 2/3/2019.

FYI Hans had a pre-production unit with cut traces and a jumper wire and should never have done a comparison review with that unit.

every review i have read that compares the sotm to the sonore preferred sotm...i never read computeraudiophiles review...but it doesn't sound like it was a comparable review if the PS was not comparable....plus many of the people in the monster thread ditched their sonores to go to sotm, and then later to just go to a $50 linux solution...that's where i would look, if i was looking.

4 hours ago, vortecjr said:

Debate aside:)

The microRendu start at 429 for B-Stock unit. These B-Stock units have a new processor, new mSD card, new case, new box, new warranty card, and recertified I/O board. If you order a B-Stock unit with an iFi that comes out to 478 USD.  If you order a B-Stock unit with a linear supply that comes out to 569 USD.

This is what I can do (this weekend only in celebration of the big game) and you most purchase via www.sonore.us:

Buy B-Stock unit with a linear supply and I'll refund you via PayPal 50 USD. That is in addition to free shipping which you get anyways. After purchase just email [email protected] a link to this thread. Offer end at midnight 2/3/2019.

FYI Hans had a pre-production unit with cut traces and a jumper wire and should never have done a comparison review with that unit.

i must admit that sounds awfully tempting....

20 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

every review i have read that compares the sotm to the sonore preferred sotm...i never read computeraudiophiles review...but it doesn't sound like it was a comparable review if the PS was not comparable....plus many of the people in the monster thread ditched their sonores to go to sotm, and then later to just go to a $50 linux solution...that's where i would look, if i was looking.

How much would you really have spent if you followed that thread:)

9 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

How much would you really have spent if you followed that thread:)

$50...or i forget how much the actual cost of the linux was....but i followed it as much as i cared to and bought the linux...I still have not implemented it though, but it was the only thing i thought was worthy of consideration in that entire 1000 page thread.

In all seriousness though, if i would opt for the sotm or the sonore, i would likely buy the sonore because i don't believe the digital front end should really make a difference and sonore is less....not because i thought the sonore got better reviews....it's nice the enet->usb intfc supports roon, but i am not a roon user.  

It would be nice if archmiago's blind test in other thread included both the sonore and sotm...but i doubt he did....my guess is that honest opinion would not be able to distinguish, given same ps, dac, amp, speakers....so might as well go with what's less.

14 hours ago, audiobomber said:

Wow, you are seriously confused. The sMs-1000SQ linked in your last post cost $3000, and has not been mentioned previously in this thread. I have consistently referenced the SOtM sMs-200 exclusively, which cost $450 with a 9V power supply, vs. the microrendu, which costs $650 with no PSU. Maybe re-read this entire thread to get yourself back on track.

Once again, you choose to mis-represent things to enhance your argument. Did you, or did you not say, and I quote "you're wrong about the dates in your Lavorgna quote. They had not reviewed SOtM when he said that, nor had anyone else."? Did you specify an SMS-200 in that statement?

I clearly showed you that he had reviewed SOTM equipment related, in comparison with the MicroRendu before the MicroRendu review. I suppose you choose to just overlook that fact that he called the MicroRendu "the best option he had come across", indicating, given the timing of both reviews, that it bested the $3000.00 SOTM unit you identified. 

I have to say you did name yourself well as "Audiobomber". Do you plan to continue to bomb discussions here with this kind of half baked, poorly justified and otherwise pointless argument?  

At any rate, I'm now leaving this conversation to avoid further discordance, misrepresentation and inaccurracies that you leave in your wake. I've also placed you on ignore to otherwise improve my time spent here amongst the countless other members I have met over the years who have things of real value to say and comment on. And it also leaves me time to continue to read the exceptional high quality reviews that Chris, the CA founder contributes with such regularity, such as the one regarding the MicroRendu vs the SOTM in question.

JC

I know @TubeLover has ignored me, but I feel the need to clarify his disingenuous post. Lavorgna tested the $640 microrendu with a $50 iPower and a $1399 Sonore Signature. Nowhere did he say the microrendu was better than the sms1000SQ. He said "With the Sonore microRendu in my system, my music sounds as good, or better, than it ever has. Period." 

In other words, the $2039 microrendu option was better value than the $3000 sms-1000SQ. That is significant, but not at all what sore loser TubeLover was attempting to convey. It's ridiculous that he even brought this up in a thread discussing $500 streaming solutions.

On 1/10/2019 at 10:57 AM, Arken said:

I need a music streamer (think you could also say network player)?

Some members recommend a NUC/Audiolinux streamer vs. more expensive options. I notice no one's mentioned it, probably worth looking into. I don't have any personal experience with that system.

As noted in my previous note, I'm done Chris. Sorry for any discomfort my part in this provided. When I started my commentary, I honestly thought I was dealing with someone who was poorly informed and that this  discussion could be easily resolved. As you know, I virtually never involved myself in such situations.

JC