Rate this topic

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this the correct group but I am having issues with Roon shutting down. This started a little over a week ago. I have been able to successfully use HQPlayer/Roon for over a year with no issues, but within the past week or so, I have been having Roon shutdown issues. I have contacted the Roon Labs Community for assistance but I am still having the issue and their suggestions have not helped so I'm hoping someone here may be able to offer some assistance. I am using HQPlayer to Roon with my Topping DX7s DAC. My music is stored on a hard drive connected via USB to an Intel Skull Canyon NUC.

I can play files directly through HQPlayer, and I have tried turning HQPlayer off and using only Roon, but the issue is still present. Any suggestions?

Hard to say, since I'm not Roon developer. But is there some systematic way when this happens? What exactly is going on when it happens?

It could be something like database corruption, or some music file gone broken that Roon's indexer touches and crashes?

It could be also something like OpenGL driver crashing the application. So checking that display driver is up to date and possibly correlating display driver or other system software updates with the time when the problem started.

You have free storage space on system disk and on the disk where Roon database is stored? And you are not running out of RAM?

Hi Miska, thank you for the quick response

2 hours ago, Miska said:

Hi Miska, thank you for the quick response. My responses are online. 

Hard to say, since I'm not Roon developer. But is there some systematic way when this happens? What exactly is going on when it happens? It is pretty much random.

I haven't noticed a pattern when Roon shuts down. My NUC is in another room and I am using Roon app to control playback.

It could be something like database corruption, or some music file gone broken that Roon's indexer touches and crashes?

I'm not sure how I would verify this. Any suggestions?

It could be also something like OpenGL driver crashing the application. So checking that display driver is up to date and possibly correlating display driver or other system software updates with the time when the problem started.

All drivers are up to date

You have free storage space on system disk and on the disk where Roon database is stored? And you are not running out of RAM?

I don't use the NUC as a true Roon headless server but when playing music files, Roon/HQPlayer is all that I have running. The NUC has 32GB RAM and that is barely being taxed.

First thing that comes to mind is RAM errors. Letting memory test run at least couple of cycles would help.

https://www.memtest86.com

Test is quite time consuming, so it is good to reserve at least one long night for the test.

18 hours ago, Miska said:

First thing that comes to mind is RAM errors. Letting memory test run at least couple of cycles would help.

https://www.memtest86.com

Test is quite time consuming, so it is good to reserve at least one long night for the test.

I will try this. I am also wondering if the problem could be the new Sonos PlayBar that we got for Christmas. I have read that it can cause issues.

1 hour ago, anroj said:

I will try this. I am also wondering if the problem could be the new Sonos PlayBar that we got for Christmas. I have read that it can cause issues.

i have seen similar issues with sonos zones, not with my pure roon zones.  in my sonos zones, the music will suddenly stop, but roon seems to think it's still playing.

appears some communication between the two has been broken with a recent software update.  sonos puts out a fair number of updates . . . .