airguitar

Can you improve on this NUC spec for Roon and W10?

Rate this topic

I am putting together a computer which incorporates an approved Roon NUC, and is also powerful enough for me to dual boot into Windows 10 and perform flawlessly with very good speeds.

This is my list so far:

The NUC: Intel Nuc Baby Canyon Nuc7I7Bnh 2.5In (on the Roon supported list)

Storage: Samsung (MZ-V6E250BW) 250GB EVO PCI Express 3.0 x4 NVMe Solid State Drive (nice and fast - plus enough storage to dual boot Roon Core and W10)

Memory: HyperX HX424S14IB2K2/16 Impact 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) 2400 MHz DDR4 CL14 SODIMM 1.2V 260-Pin Memory Kit (responsive memory and abundant).

I would expect a stunningly fast compact PC when running W10, and I know it's more than enough for Roon Core on a dual boot config.

Can this be improved upon?

A lot of us here are using Roon with audiolinux hence the lack of enthusiasm. See some of the threads below.

You can't dual boot, but I would suggest loading windows on the nvme and load audiolinux on a USB stick. Then you can boot into either system. 

As for the NUC it's good but you could also look at the 7i7dnbe/dnhe, it has a quad core processor with more cache and sounds great. 

A  2 box solution will give you even better sound, running roonbridge on an audiolinux endpoint, such as NUCPJYH or CJYH, you could use the larger NUC you quoted as a roonserver, preferably with audiolinux but can be used with windows. 

At some stage better power supply such as hdplex 200w to replace the bricks would be good.

That's really informative thank you.

My Roon endpoint equipment will be sMS-200 Ultra with sPS-500 power supply - so I don't want to let the side down by streaming from a computer which may downgrade sound quality (if that's possible?).

Currently, I am streaming Tidal direct from the LMS server installed on the SoTM device itself - which is fine - but I've heard that Roon may improve the sound quality further (somehow) - so I would like to experiment.

Never heard of audiolinux (I have heard of Daphile though).