IGNORED

UPnP Control App for Windows

If you don't mind something basic that just works and supports gapless playback, eezUPnP is worth a try:

http://www.eezupnp.de/index.html

I normally use the more sophisticated OpenHome controller, Linn Kazoo, on Windows, but that's only possible because all of my standard UPnP/DLNA renderers also support OpenHome - either natively or with the help of the BubbleUPnP Server (via its Created an OpenHome renderer function).

What UPnP/DLNA renderer(s) do you intend to control?

BTW, assuming it's just for streaming audio files, what's your reason for using Twonky on your Linux box, instead of a perhaps more recommended audio file dedicated and well supported UPnP media server, like MinimServer or Asset UPnP?

I'm only asking because some versions of Twonky have got the reputation of being a bit buggy - therefore not behaving very well with the controller app and other devices on the network. For example: an album's tracks being presented in track name (ie alphabetical order) instead of track number order,  basic navigation functions like pause not working, flooding the network with "I am here" UPnP discovery multicast packets, etc!

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Hello and thanks for the response.  Much appreciated.  I saw several posts yesterday where you've responded to these types of questions so it must be an area of interest/expertise.

Actually I tried both of them yesterday without luck.  I"m willing to try again of course.  Eezupnp was crashing with what appeared to be a Java error.  I already had the latest Java runtime installed for another app.  Kazoo saw the server but not the dCS NBR renderer.  Perhaps BubbleUPnP Server would fix this?

Sure, don't mind your asking at all.  I was using MinimServer but when I switched to Ubuntu I wanted to try something without the Java dependency.  They advertise lean binaries and I've had zero problems with it.  I don't use tags and it works well with my file structure.

Let me also add that I'm experimenting with Roon, and it has really come along nicely since I last saw it.  I no longer maintain tags in my files and their "prefer file" options work much better now.  Plus, it's so very well done and flexible across platforms.  Last night, it recognized the Chromecast dongle on our TV and not only played to it, but displayed a nice background picture of the band while scrolling the lyrics to Blood, Sweat & Tears' Lucretia MacEvil (unfortunately Lucy's lyrics are still playing in my head ;))

On 1/8/2019 at 2:28 PM, Darryl R said:

Eezupnp was crashing with what appeared to be a Java error.  I already had the latest Java runtime installed for another app.

I have the 64-bit version of JRE 8 Update 192 (build 1.8.0_192-b12), which is the latest 64-bit standard end user version for Windows available (ie, that isn't bundled with the Oracle JDK intended for developers. currently at version 11), installed on the Windows 10 machine that's running 64-bit eezUPnP.

Have you installed the correct bit version of eezUPnP to match the bit version of JRE that you already have installed for the other application?

If so, is the JRE installed version 9 or higher (so, likely came with the JDK), which may not work with eezUPnP?

On 1/8/2019 at 2:28 PM, Darryl R said:

Kazoo saw the server but not the dCS NBR renderer.  Perhaps BubbleUPnP Server would fix this?

'

... when I switched to Ubuntu I wanted to try something without the Java dependency.

Indeed. The dCS Network Bridge does not support OpenHome, so would require the BubbleUPnP Server. The normal place to run BubbleUPnP Server is (as its name suggests) on a 'server' type box - one that's intended to be up 24/7. So your Linux machine would be ideal. Unfortunately, it too requires the JRE so you could install the BubbleUPnP Server on your Windows machine instead. However, there's also an issue with running BubbleUPnP Server with its created OpenHome Renderer(s) on the same Windows machine as the latest Linn Kazoo controller: Linn Kazoo cannot access any OpenHome renderers that share its IP address!

Linn have stated that it's a restriction that Microsoft have imposed on them (for apparent 'security reasons'), ever since they made the software available on the Windows App Store. Currently, the only way around this is to install a pre-Windows App Store version of Linn Kazoo, the latest version of which (4.8.1159) is available at:

https://oss.linn.co.uk/trac/wiki/DownloadKazoo

Make sure you ignore the latest version update nag when running it!

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

• 1 year later...