dmormerod

Tidal adds "Masters' to Android

Rate this topic

52 minutes ago, dmormerod said:

Being an iOS user I didn't know Masters weren't supported on Android

Given that the article you're referencing is about the Android TIDAL app, are you implying that the iOS TIDAL app already supports MQA Masters?

3 hours ago, Cebolla said:

Given that the article you're referencing is about the Android TIDAL app, are you implying that the iOS TIDAL app already supports MQA Masters?

No, I just wasn't aware the Android didn't and until now it was only the Desktop app that did support Masters.

Ok.

BTW, I believe there's currently only one player on both iOS & Android, that is licensed to stream TIDAL MQA Masters file tracks - mConnect Player app (free Lite version available). All other TIDAL supporting iOS & Android apps that attempt to play a TIDAL MQA file track will instead receive a 'doctored' stream, with the MQA track resampled to a CD resolution of 16/44.1kHz by TIDAL's online server. This corrupts some of the MQA data & therefore prevents MQA decoding. 

However, unlike the TIDAL Desktop app (and similarly Roon & Audirvana Plus), mConnect Player hasn't got the option to (software) decode MQA to the MQA Core (aka 'first unfold'). So a full MQA decoding DAC needs to be used (ie, not a DAC that is only an MQA renderer), if you require MQA decoding.

I have a little ASUS Android tablet - ZenPad C 7.0 - and I used to use it to cast HiFi audio to a ChromeCast Audio device which is connected to the stereo receiver in our living room. The update that enabled Tidal Master playback on the tablet broke the casting functionality, that is, casting from the tablet to the CCA no longer works. Casting from my iPhone to the CCA still works - not Master quality of course - so it's not an issue with the CCA. I have opened a ticket with Tidal support and will report on the outcome.