IGNORED

Furutech FI-68 - IEC connector and power filter

I could not find any information about this power filter/IEC conector (aside from official web-site info).

As I can undertand it is basically an extended version of Furutech FI-28 IEC connector with integrated AC-1501 RFI/EMI filter. Looks like FI-68 is very similar to Flow-28 (but without cable and additional IEC inlet, which is good - less unnecessary parts, better sound).

Could you please clarify a few questions:

1) Is this really FI-28 + AC-1501 in one case?
2) Has anybody tried/heard this device at work? How does it sound in comparison with mere IEC connectors like FI-28 or Oyaide C-046/079?
3) Some power filters may change tonal balance a bit. What about FI-68? Is it transparent?
4) Can it supply power amps (and power regenerators) without dynamic compression?

Found pics of FI-68 internals:

1621757936_FI-68(G)5.thumb.jpg.cd070ae5cc0e405a27999cff28fb7d49.jpg

1346665893_FI-68(G)6.thumb.jpg.a1b5955738139e51d8911465ac06560f.jpg

Looks like there is AC-1501, but slighly different version.

10 hours ago, Speedskater said:

With a tiny little filter like that, I doubt that it does any meaningful filtering below 1MHz (if that). And surly no EMI filtering at all.

Agreed. It's a very elementary filter.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

The schematic on the filter is typical of any standard EMC filter consisting of cap front end , differential chokes and a series output cap centre connected to earth. 

It would have to be Class B for domestic as a minimum.

100khz reduction is quoted at 8db, 500khz by 14db and at 10Mhz > 30db these figures aren’t too bad at all. There is a spec for this device, you are far too dismissive @Speedskater And @sandyk.

http://www.furutech.com/2015/08/18/11637/

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

29 minutes ago, One and a half said:

The schematic on the filter is typical of any standard EMC filter consisting of cap front end , differential chokes and a series output cap centre connected to earth. 

It would have to be Class B for domestic as a minimum.

100khz reduction is quoted at 8db, 500khz by 14db and at 10Mhz > 30db these figures aren’t too bad at all. There is a spec for this device, you are far too dismissive @Speedskater And @sandyk.

http://www.furutech.com/2015/08/18/11637/

I have previously tried simple filters like this before and if anything they made things worse.

I use the one in the screen grab which came as a kit (no longer available) with my PC.

Filter.jpg

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

42 minutes ago, sandyk said:

I have previously tried simple filters like this before and if anything they made things worse.

I use the one in the screen grab which came as a kit (no longer available) with my PC.

Filter.jpg

http://www.thel-audioworld.de/module/Netzfilter/Netzfilter.htm

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

Well, according to the official info:

A parallel circuit with an in-line coil and capacitor that reduces noise at 100KHz by 8dB and at 500KHz by 14 dB and at 10MHz by more than 30dB

Not bad for such a tiny device.

There is a graph:

flux50-1.thumb.png.0cddfd1b7fbdb0116985811abdad6728.png

I am not really interested in a supereffective filter as I use Isotek Aquarius. This one does a great job - it reduces noice at 100KHz by 42/53 Db. But I suppose FI-68 could slightly enhance Aquarius capabilities. Taking into account the fact that the most critical frequencies are 67 KHz - 200 MHz - region where switch mode power supplies operate. While generic SMPSs is one of the main electrical problem, as well as RFI noise (1-100 MHz), FI-68 should be quite effective.

I am using Oyaide C-046 connectors. And I wonder will FI-68 be an upgrade over C-046 or not?

8 hours ago, sandyk said:

Filter.jpg

Right, the way these filters work as I was told is that the frequency is reflected back to the source and doesn’t pass the boundary. So the device making noise will still be doing that , but won’t infect other devices in parallel, we’ll up to the filter’s spec.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

• 2 years later...

Hello,

Thought I would post my experience with this plug. While I am a fan of Furutech products and find their DIY cables and plugs make a huge positive difference in my mid-level high end audio system this particular plug is a dud.

In my use in a DIY cable (using Furutech male plug and Furutech power cable) I let this break in for over a month and found the sound to be grainy and a bit harsh. This became quite apparent when I substituted the FI-68 with a Furutech FI-C15 plug. 

Furutech has discontinued this FI-68 plug (and I got it at a discount). Sorry I did. Love Furutech products, not this one.

I purchased the FI-68 some years ago, attached it carefully to a pc and on first try it burned and short-circuited.  There was something seriously wrong with it. I tried to contact the seller with no reply. I should’ve contacted Furutech. Maybe it’s being discontinued for a good reason. 

Luckily it was possible to remove the filter and use it as a plain iec plug. Cleaning the contacts after the burn was a pain though. 

Say NO to ROON