Rate this topic

Hi Guys - I know 5G is in its infancy but I’m interested in publishing an article  written by someone who can use 5G for his home internet service to stream lossless music. 

I believe 5G is live in ~20 cities in the US and people in those areas can use hot spot routers to connect rather than the standard cable, phone, or fiber routes. 

LA, Sac & Houston for VZ in mid-2018

more to follow (or have followed) & VZ is ahead of others

In principle full benefit of 5G is rather expected for later, let us say 5G step 2 or step 3. By full advantage, I mean high bandwidth and sub millisecond round trip delay.

Service providers/routers/content have to be located less than 1km from user home for such latency requirements.

Wireless equipment will work in the mmWave frequencies (80 GHz and above) in order to provide large capacity (up to10 Gbps).

As far as I know WiFi 5G protocols are ready and home routers are about to be launched.

Within a few years one may assume that every home device or self driving car will be  each directly connected to the next generation cellular networks. Wireless internet is actually fast enough to completely replace the wired broadband you use at home including streaming hires music.

Verizon and others rely on equipment providers to build their routes/networks and offer their services. I am working in Europe in one of the major ones and as such as end users will probably need to wait 2-3 years before taking full advantage of such Mobile networks.

Now if your first goal is to stream audio in every corner/room of your home from a local server through 5G WiFi routers this should achievable quite soon if not yet (D-Link 5G routers and others)

2 hours ago, Arpiben said:

Within a few years one may assume that every home device or self driving car will be  each directly connected to the next generation cellular networks.

I’ve read similar statements online and it has never made sense to me, at least the home IoT device part. Opening every home device up to easy hacking, building more expensive hardware into the devices, etc ... just doesn’t make sense when you can just connect to WiFi behind NAT. 

That is my issue, if 5G ever lives up to anything close to its promises in the next decade.  It simply won't work with 4G pricing structures as they exist in the USA anyway.  If they offered claimed speeds now, you could blow thru a monthly data cap in a few hours as things stand. 

Plus the USA does not have the population density to make this ubiquitous.  Heck 4G isn't even ubiquitous at any decent speeds.  

A good summary about 5G  wireless communication:

https://www.rfpage.com/what-are-the-challenges-in-5g-technology/

https://www.rfpage.com/what-are-small-cells-in-5g-technology/

With currently running 5G networks (South Korea, and others) the increase capacity vs 4G is not substantial ( around 10%).

Spectrum below 40 GHz is already congested and wireless equipment need  to evolve to millimeter waves ( E band , W band, D band ) for substantial capacity increase. E band ( 80 GHz) equipments are now produced. W band (92 GHz - 115 GHz) , D-bands (130 GHz - 175 GHz) ones are not yet matured and frequency bands are under radio regulator approval. The last ones should provide wireless rates above 100 Gbps within 300 meters. Target 2020.

For sure most of us will need to wait couple of years until it will be implemented. But at least we have the trend.

In terms of audio, the much higher available throughput will allow Hi Res audio streaming and IMO bring MQA obsolete.  

Edited by Arpiben
link added