Rate this topic

21 minutes ago, John_Atkinson said:

I noticed this exchange in the closed Subs vs Obs thread. For the record and as subsequently noted in the thread, I don't have a liberal arts degree. I have an Honors B.Sc from the University of London, which included courses on computer logic and tube electronics (it was a long time ago); a post-graduate certification in the teaching of science at the high-school level, also from the University of London;  I have been a full member of the AES for almost 40 years; an associate member of the IEEE for 25 years; I have produced, engineered, mastered, and played bass guitar, viola da gamba, and baroque recorder on more than 40 commercially released recordings; I have designed and built my own preamplifiers, microphone mixer, and test equipment (but, peculiarly, never loudspeakers); in 2011 I was honored to be invited by the AES Technical Committee to give the Richard Heyser Memorial Lecture at the New York Convention; and I have been the editor-in-chief of 2 commercially successful audio magazines: Hi-Fi News 1982-1986 and Stereophile 1986 to the present day.

But I agree with Richard Lane. None of this matters. Judge me by what I write - I strongly believe that any writer is only as good as the last piece they had published, regardless of their resume.

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

If anyone is interested, here is a link to the keynote you gave at 2018 AXPONA - '50 Years An Audiophile', which complements the above career details:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/50-years-audiophile-john-atkinsons-life-audio

1 hour ago, John_Atkinson said:

I noticed this exchange in the closed Subs vs Obs thread. For the record and as subsequently noted in the thread, I don't have a liberal arts degree. I have an Honors B.Sc from the University of London, which included courses on computer logic and tube electronics (it was a long time ago); a post-graduate certification in the teaching of science at the high-school level, also from the University of London;  I have been a full member of the AES for almost 40 years; an associate member of the IEEE for 25 years; I have produced, engineered, mastered, and played bass guitar, viola da gamba, and baroque recorder on more than 40 commercially released recordings; I have designed and built my own preamplifiers, microphone mixer, and test equipment (but, peculiarly, never loudspeakers); in 2011 I was honored to be invited by the AES Technical Committee to give the Richard Heyser Memorial Lecture at the New York Convention; and I have been the editor-in-chief of 2 commercially successful audio magazines: Hi-Fi News 1982-1986 and Stereophile 1986 to the present day.

But I agree with Richard Dale. None of this matters. Judge me by what I write - I strongly believe that any writer is only as good as the last piece they had published, regardless of their resume.

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

Not such a 'newbie' after all ;)

6 hours ago, John_Atkinson said:

which included courses on computer logic and tube electronics

The gate to the rest of your life.

My wife got her PhD there (Univ London).

Personally, I am ever so slightly disappointed you didn't confirm the rumor in that thread that you were a chemist.

As far as I can tell, there is no concept of a "liberal arts" degree in the U.K.  It is fairly meaningless in the US as well; I have chemistry and biology undergraduate degrees from a liberal arts college, FWIW. 

17 minutes ago, wgscott said:

My wife got her PhD there (Univ London).

Personally, I am ever so slightly disappointed you didn't confirm the rumor in that thread that you were a chemist.

As far as I can tell, there is no concept of a "liberal arts" degree in the U.K.  It is fairly meaningless in the US as well; I have chemistry and biology undergraduate degrees from a liberal arts college, FWIW. 

Charlatan with a sham science degree. 🤠

FWIW, I've no issue with liberal arts people.  Nearly all my friends are liberal arts people as its usually understood.  But wait a minute, do you think they could be using me to fix all their hard problems?  Maybe that is why nearly all my friends are in the liberal arts.  Hmmmmm!

In case it was missed, I meant no slight on JA's abilities.  I am very grateful because he publishes useful measurements of more hifi gear than anyone.  He does so even when reviewers sing praises of the product and the results are shall we say....regrettable.  

4 minutes ago, esldude said:

Would you prefer to be called Sandy or Alex?

oddly enough, I have chemistry and biology undergraduate degrees from an engineering college, FWIW...

40 minutes ago, wgscott said:

I got that from the 2018 AXPONA keynote talk that I posted a link to. It is around about the 5:00 mark.

21 minutes ago, wgscott said:

Would you prefer to be called Sandy or Alex?

Just K for short. 

9 hours ago, John_Atkinson said:

But I agree with Richard Dale. None of this matters. Judge me by what I write - I strongly believe that any writer is only as good as the last piece they had published, regardless of their resume.

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

Very impressive John. I felt sure there was no chemistry there ;-).

FWIW I only have a couple of medical degrees

2 hours ago, wgscott said:

2 hours ago, esldude said:

In reply, wgscott said "Would you prefer to be called Sandy or Alex?"

Posts like this are completely unacceptable , and have been reported to Chris.

5 hours ago, wgscott said:

As far as I can tell, there is no concept of a "liberal arts" degree in the U.K.

Mostly but not wholly true,  there is some Liberal Arts provision and indeed a related academic association in the UK.

Liberal Arts is an often misunderstood  term, meaning not just a general arts/humanities/ social science education, but rather the application of the Liberal Arts ethos  of cross-curricula study, usually involving some core science and mathematics courses even for, say,  English Lit majors.

4 hours ago, Norton said:

Mostly but not wholly true,  there is some Liberal Arts provision and indeed a related academic association in the UK.

Liberal Arts is an often misunderstood  term, meaning not just a general arts/humanities/ social science education, but rather the application of the Liberal Arts ethos  of cross-curricula study, usually involving some core science and mathematics courses even for, say,  English Lit majors.

delete

On 1/4/2019 at 8:35 AM, John_Atkinson said:

None of this matters. Judge me by what I write

I agree of course but maybe with some qualifications (pun intended)

Credentials do lend credibility notwithstanding that any person, however expert, can get it wrong and any amateur can get it right.

Still, most people I presume would go to a lawyer for legal advice, it just seems to be a logical place to start.

If we combine your qualifications, training and experience I am far more likely to have faith in your audio measurements than some unknown guy's blog. In the thread that prompted this one, I facetiously cited how I measure soundstage width by pausing playback and measuring distance between images.

Science doesn't play the man or rely on opinion, seeking conclusive evidence within some probability parameters and recognizing evidence to be malleable. Interestingly, in some legal jurisdictions "expert" opinion constitutes evidence.I was once subpoenaed to the Supreme court and the opposing Barrister was entirely focused on my "credentials" to give evidence in the case.