IGNORED

11 questions to my first audiophile setup

audionerd

Question

I’m very late and critical in adopting new findings from the digital world into my personal analog world. It was hard to accept that my 35mm camera and photo lab must be replaced by bits and bytes. All has changed as I - several years ago - searched for new speakers to improve my listening experience. After two years of listening experiences with very different speakers I finally listened to the music from the Avantgarde Acoustic Zero loudspeakers and finally had to buy them. It was closer to a live experience than any other speaker. So I buyed this active speaker.  Everything has changed. The main problem was that I could not get the live experience at home. So yes probably it was the different listening-environment but I removed in the meantime and nothing has changed. What to do next? The best inputs to the active speaker are an AES-Ebu and SPDIF, not USB and not Toslink. So I cannot use my CD-player very well without any interface. Further I stoped hearing from vinyl. So what I did in the meantime was to hear music from my MacBook Air with music from Spotify over a 5$ USB cable to a 12k speaker or take the toslink connection from my CD-Player. At the same time I began to study everything associated with computer audio and read in this forum.
My requirements are mainly to listen to very high quality music through my active speakers and secondarily to listen to phono again. Thirdly to use the speakers for listening to TV/Video.

1. The first very basic and probably inappropriate question for this forum was and is for me: Is it necessary to build up an own audiophile computer setup as I also can use preassembled „Hifi“ components like the Auralic G1?
Pros: stream music from different sources even in high-resolution and save time for building my own audio-PC (APC). Nice one device design.
Cons: Not flexible to use different audio software. 2.2k€ seems a bit overpriced for a low energy APC with Linux. Audio software seems inferior to JRiver Media Centtre (JRMC) or Roon.

2. Is a 2x APC setup better than a 1 x APC setup?
Pros: Use first APC ( I call him Media-APC) as integrative device for all data sources and visualization of music information but also (music-) videos as well as browsing the web for different reasons. Relieve the Player-APC from work load in order to get e higher sound quality (SQ). Potential to use Roon as well as JRMC.
Cons: More interconnections with more potential harm to interferences to the music. More place for bugs between hardware and software.  More devices need more place.

3. Is a dual I7U with energy saving processors (TDP app. 2 x15 Watts) better than a Ryzen 7 2700  (TDP 65 watt) for Media-APC and a I7U (TDP 15 watt) for Player-APC?

4. Should I use JRPC with Audiophil’s optimizer for Media-APC or Roon with Roon Rock?

5. Shoud I use Jplay on Linux or Linux-Audio or Win Server as PLayer-APC? I'm not sure but I think I don’t need the upsampling function of Linux Audio? I also don’t need special studio software functions, I just need a high SQ.

6. Is HQ Player better than JPlay for Player-APC?

7. Is there something else that I can use as player software on Player-APC when I use a Media-APC as graphical user interface (GUI)?

8. Initially I planned to use a gaming motherboard with I7T instead of I7U processor with a minmalistic NUC-Board because of the better USB ports. On the gaming board I can setup the USB ports to my DAC (within the speakers) which would be a great advantage so I would not need expensive voltage separated USB cables. Would you take a gaming-motherboard with regulated USB and I7T (TDP 35 watts) or rather a NUC-board with I7U (TDP 20 watts)?

9. I plan to use a clock like Mutec MC-3 to put between Player-APC and DAC to improve the SQ and use the better AES input of my speaker. Would you agree?

10. Concerning the phono-implication would you prefer an analog-board within the speakers to an AD-sampler board within the Media-APC like RME HDSPe or Lynx Studio E22?
If I use a sampler card I could use the AES output directly to the speaker without the Mutec but had an inferior clock.     

11. Last question: would you prefer Qobuz or Tidal as a source for music in high quality?

13 answers to this question

@audionerd

Very good questions. I can't answer all of them. And I think you will get a lot of opnions

There are many ways to do it and it depends on what you really want or need. 

#1: I like to have as few as possible boxes/items so I like the Streamers like the Auralic G1. There are many similar items.

Well, first Qobuz blows TIDAL out of the water regarding sound quality.

For the rest of it wow, that's lot of questions. My preference is to keep things as simple as possible. I have a question for you, how do your speakers connect to the source? Does each one have an individual AES/EBU connection?

No electron left behind.

Seems from the options u listed u hv studied this Computer music player for some time

Took me 2007 till 2016 as i went from

1. Wadia 302 CD player

2. Pentium Asus laptop playing Wav files to a PS AUDIO Perfect Wave II dac 

3. Got the PS AUDIO Bridge and started streaming music 

4. went from PS audio proprietary Streaming SW to JRMC MEDIA CENTER SW

5. 2016 got myself a intel 6700k PC and discovered HQplayer / dabbled with Foobar/Jplay/Bughead SW

6. went with the HQplayer NAA

7. Linear PSU's for Operating SW SSDs and everything at 12v and 5v DC i could modify snd DIY

8. My 6700k PC is heavily filtered snd More tweaks i can mention?esp cables/ earthing/ferrite ferrules/ OXCO Clocked usb card

9. iFi iDSD Native Dsd pass thru mode with HQplayer /NAA was a breakthru for me ( now the Black Label)

10. Found CA forum in 2016 ( ha🤣 must hv read 5000 pages at least)

11. Uptone audio IsoRegen/Ultracap LPS1

12. Sotm SM200 ultra neo with LT3045 ultra low noise regulator 

13. Win 10 pro - went to Win Server 2016/Audiophile Optimizer/Fidelizer 8.3 Pro

Sound Quality bypassed my ClearAudio Avantgard TT about 2017 and still improving steadily

U hv to work at PC AUDIO SQ.. go Audio PC with all the tweaking

or u buy a streamer one box

or u go Auralic Ethernet/Wifi streaming

Mutec and clocking comes after the playback system rises above a certain SQ level b4 it matters

I had 10 years of SQ imprvement fun and hair tearing frustation at times

Clocking my SM200!ultra Neo and a clocked switch is next step for me

Happy Listening

Hi Audionerd,
welcome to the Audiophile Style - Forums !
As mentioned before by jventer, there are a lot of ways to do thing in the best way, IMHO it finally depends on personal  preference ... 
As a rule of thumb,  personal comfort like having an device with ease to use, no tinkering, and working flawless,  usually adds to the overall price for a certain sound quality. Rarely (again IMHO) you may find upstream devices (i.e. NAS, Network design and Streaming) that can't be beaten in price vs. performance by DIYed solutions, where your level of personal engagement & expertise does not add to the price point.
You also may not reach the top sound quality unless you invest hugely, especially in your room and your speaker. Even if you've done that already, you may always have that (unsettling) feeling, that not having chosen the other path on the upstream devices (tuning your system piece by piece manually) may have left you with an inferior performance of your system, because you have decided for greater personal comfort. 

I guess, that is why many of us are open to start DIY before settling to a more comfortable solution after all. If you have settled your mind with the (maybe only presumed) shortcomings of of-the-shelf-solutions, you may enjoy the music without inquietude.
OTOH, if you are ready to invest time and skills for the adventure of incremental improvements, you will find a plethora of ways to do so here in the forum. As for most of us, it needs a lot of time to read into the subjects of interest, and make up your mind which is the best way to go for you, personally.
As an example, question 4 is thoroughly answered on the AS-frontpage with Bluesman's article from the first of January 2019. 
Try to ask specific questions in the specific threads. That gives you a far better chance to get a helpful response.
Cheers, Tom

On 1/3/2019 at 7:53 AM, audionerd said:

10. Concerning the phono-implication would you prefer an analog-board within the speakers to an AD-sampler board within the Media-APC like RME HDSPe or Lynx Studio E22?
If I use a sampler card I could use the AES output directly to the speaker without the Mutec but had an inferior clock.     

I recommend a new heart for your system. The RME ADI-2 Pro would integrate everything you have now. You can connect the turntable, CD player, computer and TV to the ADI-2,  and output via AES to your speakers. You could sell your existing preamp. You may find an external clock is not necessary. The built-in ADC would allow you to rip your vinyl. If you don't want to rip your vinyl, you could get save money by getting an ADI-2 instead. There are also FS Pro models, not sure what the difference is.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

Dear Audio Community, I want to thank you all for your answers.

@ bobbmd, thank you for your very practical view, which is great until I have a better solution.
@ jventer Yes this would be the easiest way. It’s like to use a PS4 instead of a gaming PC for gaming.
@ Audiodoctor: Qobuz is recommended from most people, so this question seems to be the easiest one. One speaker is master and has all inputs but USB is not a good option. Thanks.
@ kelvinwsy: Wow very impressive career!! :-) In mind I’ve also walked through this way but never had the impulse to do it like you do (perhaps not much time and money to spend). Maybe you’re right. I should spend more time in building Pc’s. At early times I always liked to build PC’s, from the beginning of the first home based computer era.
@DuckToller: The price point is interesting. But this would add a new question. Could I get e better SQ compared to an Auralic G1 when I build my own setup? I think I have to try it maybe and make a  comparison. Plan: I build my setup and order an Auralic G1. If the Auralic sounds much better, I send back the computer parts. I’ve also read the article of Bluesman before I wrote my article but my questions were not answered because I think (with my limited english) that he did not compare the Roon-Rock to a double PC Linux Audio + AO solution.
What do you think about to setup two partitions on a setup with one who had a roon and the other one with a self made Linux implementation and compare them? Did you or anyone do this before?
@audiobomber: Very good, thnks. I had the RME ADI-2 pro on my wishlist but not sure about because I have to pay a DAC without needing one and just use it as an ADC and switch for computer USB. An ADC card would cost less than a third of the price of the ADI. but anyway it is still a quite good option I think. I have no preamp anymore. I selled my amp (tears are running) with my passive IQ speakers. I will never rip my vinyls I think. The bigger issue is that some of the old vinyls smell, so my wife don’t want them in the living room. So maybe…., no I don’t want to digitalize my last analog thing at home.

I hv 2 SSD's 1 for Win 10 pro and the other Win Server 2016 in the same PC 

Ssd's are so cheap .. u just open the PC and swap the connection.

Dont bothe about 2 partitions for Linux etc

The point i see that u hv to decide is whether u want to buy CD's or downloaded hires music 

OR U go Qobuz or Tidal 

Both although Streaming can make a big difference for the setup of the Music Pc

Many on CA go with Roon that can do both well..

i tested Roon in 2016 ve Hqplayer for SQ

No contest Hqplayer is better but Roon is wonderful user interface

But as Music streaming from Qobuz and Tidal is sure  becoming the Most common then go with Roon

The other point is that Diy in most part is A lot cheaoer than buying a streamer or one box solution

U just use a lot of time to finetune your Diy parts of your System

Auraluc G1 i understand has good SQ but it still needs a source 

that can be Tidal or Qobuz

So i recommend u decide first u stream your own music or you go With Streaming service

My own preference us to build up my own music  ripped WAV collection .. I hv another 10 stories about my building up from < 200 CDs to 1500 Cds of ripped or downloaded hires music

i prefer to hv my fav music for each listening session that i can find 

I tried Tidal for a few months and their curated music Recommendations ended up with me with limited choices unless u search .. which can be a FUN experience too

SQ i find stiil inferior to my own WAV ropped files so might as well hv my own

And if u want to stream Dsd 256/512 U need At least Roon 

But HQplayer and a most powerful PC is my preferred way i chose to go

YMMV of course

@audionerd
the last time I set up my CAPS Zuma with an I7 4790,  I have decided for a triple windows setup, own partitions for Win10, WS2012R2 and WS2016.
Even I got an official WS2012 license and operate it usually with AO in core mode, I am now using WS2016 with AO because even sans core mode it sounds fantastic. Player: JRMC24, it is convinient.
Edited: I overlooked that sentence:
"he did not compare the Roon-Rock to a double PC Linux Audio + AO solution.". I think there is no AO for Audio Linux, as it is software for the Windows systems, but that might be only some mistyping from your side ...
Cheers Tom

Well not needing a dual AES/EBU output makes things a lot simpler then. If you still want to do analog, but stay digital to your speakers, you'll need to convert the analog. That pretty much means getting something like one of the RME devices that do that, and do it well.

No electron left behind.

@kelvinwsy: I would prefer Qobuz for streaming but I think that I also would like to have a library on a NAS or mSATA or whatever device plugged eather on streaming bridge or (double-) PC solution. What sounds better? A selfmade solution or an Auralic?   

@ducktoller:  Yes u’r right. I want to say Roon-Rock to a double PC with JRMC (PC-1) + Linux Audio (PC-2 or player-PC) or JRMC (PC-1) with WS2012R2/WS2016 - AO (PC-2). And the player PC with or without HQplayer or Jplay femto.  

@audiodoctor: thanks so I think I’m going the right way with RME. Would you recommend external (like ADI-2 pro) or internal as a pc card? Maybe they have the same pc card in their ADI?? Hmmm. purevinyl sound interesting.

3 hours ago, audionerd said:

@audiodoctor: thanks so I think I’m going the right way with RME. Would you recommend external (like ADI-2 pro) or internal as a pc card? Maybe they have the same pc card in their ADI?? Hmmm. purevinyl sound interesting.

External has more functions. I would expect better sound quality from a stand-alone box due to improved power supply and more room for layout,  but I don't know of a comparison anywhere. Of course there's cost to consider.

Check out Vinyl Studio. I used it for my vinyl rips and found it had everything I needed; intuitive controls, easy labelling and track naming, sophisticated click filter, record directly to FLAC, low cost and more: RIAA eq, filters, etc.

https://www.alpinesoft.co.uk/

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC.