IGNORED

Windows 10 Oct 2018 Update Breaks FLAC

rickca

Update ... this is not an issue for the 3rd party apps we typically use to play FLAC.  

Scroll down to the section FLAC support issue

https://www.windowslatest.com/2019/01/02/new-issues-reportedly-discovered-in-windows-10-october-2018-update/

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Time to install Linux.

That is just messed up.  I guess I should read the link, but I didn't even know that an OS could break a format.  Apple OS X (Mac OS) doesn't have any player programs (i.e, iTunes) that recognize FLAC, but the OS doesn't break it.  It works fine in third party programs, and even Finder's quick-view.

That is just messed up.

1 hour ago, rickca said:

Microsoft comment:

It is, however, worth noting FLAC is not a popular music format and with the increase of music streaming services, very few users are actually using it.

Scroll down to the section FLAC support issue

https://www.windowslatest.com/2019/01/02/new-issues-reportedly-discovered-in-windows-10-october-2018-update/

I just read that.  It looks like an uninformed comment by  Santarpan Roy of windowslatest.com, not Microsoft.  (Unless Microsoft owns windowslatest?)  It also reports that Microsoft have addressed the problem/bug in a new build.

Edit:  The bottom of the page says "Not associated with Microsoft

"This happens in both Groove Music and Windows Media Player."

No issues with Roon Server on my very new Windows 10 PC (1809 build), playing locally and over the network. 

I'm having other issues but that's just Windows in general, not related to this.

5 hours ago, wgscott said:

It also reports that Microsoft have addressed the problem/bug in a new build.

MS says the fix is in Insider Preview Build 18272.

We fixed an issue resulting in FLAC metadata being cut short in File Explorer and other locations.

This fix is not in the October 2018 feature update.

If using third-party software / apps eg foobar2000 metadata is seen and audio tracks work normally.  Sorry for the alarm.  I have updated the OP.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's