IGNORED

Suggestions for a low-cost DAC?

I'm building a desktop system for computer and casual music listening (streaming and CD-ripped tracks). The speakers are ELAC Debut 2.0 bookshelf B6.2. Amp will be most likely the Akitika GT-102 which is a recent Stereophile Class B power amp at amamzingly $500. It's proabaly a bit overkill for the ELAC but it's too tempting to resist. 

Now I need a DAC. I was leaning towards the Musical Fidelity V-90, which was a Stereophile Class A DAC, which I assume will be enough for the new setup. But it's a 5-year old product and I'm hoping if there a are newer DACs around that perform nearly as well at a lower cost. Any sugguestions? Thanks. 

PS - I was also considering the PS audio Sprout 100 integrated amp, but believe the seperates will give me better sound. 

PPS - what about the Schiit Modi 3? It measures very well and gets a great review at audio science review. 

Setup #1: GoldenEar Triton Reference --> Parasound Halo Integrated --> Allo DigiOne Signature

Setup #2: ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2 --> Akitika GT-102 --> ???

2 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

1. So you will not want to go beyond Redbook for several years(?)

2. And are looking for something in the $300 range?

3. What interface will you use?  (USB?)

This new setup won't be used for critical listening, for which I have a main setup.

Yeah, under $300. For $300 I can get the V-90 DAC, which although being 5-year old, will still be more than good enough for the new setup I believe.

USB for computer, coaxial for Allo DigiOne Signature stream. And maybe Toslink for my Macbook pro.

Setup #1: GoldenEar Triton Reference --> Parasound Halo Integrated --> Allo DigiOne Signature

5 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

The Sprout will probably be the best solution at that price point, and even higher. Plus, it can play Hi-Res music files, and will grow with you when you want new speakers.

Honestly, at that price, I don't know why you wouldn't go with the Sprout.

I believe Akitika GT-102 plus V-90 DAC will give better sound quality. And the Sprout doesnt have coaxial digi in.

But the Sprout is less expensive and a very nice and neat-looking package. Choices...

The Topping D50 could be a contender. It’s reasonably priced, is tiny, has all of the inputs you mention, contains two DAC chips, is easily powered and able to cope with quite high resolution music formats.

I have two of them: one in my computer system using USB and one in my headphones system connected via coax. Both systems sound good to me.

Moreover, it measures very well on science-backed audio sites too.

13 minutes ago, Shangri-La said:

USB for computer, coaxial for Allo DigiOne Signature stream. And maybe Toslink for my Macbook pro.

Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC has these 3 inputs.

Measures well and sounds very nice (designed by the well respected John Westlake).

1 hour ago, Shangri-La said:

PPS - what about the Schiit Modi 3? It measures very well and gets a great review at audio science review. 

I love the Modi series so much, I own four! One Modi 2U and three Modi 3 units, all in regular use, one paired with a Magni headphone amp of course. Modi DACs are good representatives of the AKM "velvet sound", and at $99 I feel the 3 is the best value around. I own another AKM-based DAC as well, the midrange NuPrime DAC-9, plus speaker amps that offer a warm forgiving sound.

I also own the ESS-based Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 and the matching Amp Box S2. They offer a very crisp, neutral, resolving sound that does not appeal to me, but the little S2 has a lot of features and is very popular, and like the previous poster I am a big fan of the designer John Westlake even if we seem to prefer a different sound signature.

The influence of a DAC is much more subtle than an amp, but if any of this sound signature discussion is interesting to you, I suggest paying careful attention to this aspect in owner reviews.

Everyone wants to date my avatar.

10 hours ago, left channel said:

I love the Modi series so much, I own four! One Modi 2U and three Modi 3 units, all in regular use, one paired with a Magni headphone amp of course. Modi DACs are good representatives of the AKM "velvet sound", and at $99 I feel the 3 is the best value around. I own another AKM-based DAC as well, the midrange NuPrime DAC-9, plus speaker amps that offer a warm forgiving sound.

I also own the ESS-based Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 and the matching Amp Box S2. They offer a very crisp, neutral, resolving sound that does not appeal to me, but the little S2 has a lot of features and is very popular, and like the previous poster I am a big fan of the designer John Westlake even if we seem to prefer a different sound signature.

The influence of a DAC is much more subtle than an amp, but if any of this sound signature discussion is interesting to you, I suggest paying careful attention to this aspect in owner reviews.

I'm very interested in this 'velvety sound'. My Topping D50 has ES9038Q2M2 DACs that produce a beautifully clear and detailed sound and works great with my speaker-based system. For my headphones system, as it's a bedside listening system, I'd prefer a warmer sound - closer to a tube sound.

Is it the case that almost any AKM based DAC would produce this velvety sound?

22 hours ago, Taz777 said:

The Topping D50 could be a contender. It’s reasonably priced, is tiny, has all of the inputs you mention, contains two DAC chips, is easily powered and able to cope with quite high resolution music formats.

I have two of them: one in my computer system using USB and one in my headphones system connected via coax. Both systems sound good to me.

Moreover, it measures very well on science-backed audio sites too.

Yeah the D50 is looking really nice. Just that "hump" bothers me a bit. Not sure how that translates to realworld listening.. 

Topping D50 DAC SMPTE Intermodulation Measurement.png

3 hours ago, left channel said:

I'm told you'll often see/hear that IMD hump from budget ESS-based DACs. Not so in comparable AKM DACs.

Yeah I read about that too. the Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 doesnt measure that well either in the same test, and I value these measurements especially when evaluating DACs. What should I do now, maybe just get the Schiit modi 3 and call it a day...

4 hours ago, left channel said:

Go for it, @Shangri-La! Modi and call it a day.

Lol, thanks! I think it's the best option currently. I've placed the order for the AkitikA GT-102 amp, which will take 1-2 weeks to deliver. If nothing changes, then the Modi 3 is it!

On 1/2/2019 at 3:59 PM, Shangri-La said:

This new setup won't be used for critical listening, for which I have a main setup.

Yeah, under $300. For $300 I can get the V-90 DAC, which although being 5-year old, will still be more than good enough for the new setup I believe.

As one alternative at your price point, though by far not the only one, you might look for a used iFi micro-iDSD DAC on eBay, and think about doing upsampling with Audirvana+ or other player software to feed it.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Appreciate the comments, guys. A bit about how I aproach my search. I know I'm a little obssessed with measurements, but 1) I believe these numbers for the most part do translate to realworld listening experience. and 2) this is the most readily available way to compare different products.

Most of the reviews I read all praised whatever is being reviewed, saying the product "sounds great", followed by "for the money". And I believe that. But I want to know the performance between different products, price no object. Measurements do that for me, as does Stereophile's class rating. In the mean time, I tend to prefer newer released products, as I believe DAC (along with high res source) is proabaly the component in a hifi system that benefits the most from recent technolygy improvements.   

2 hours ago, left channel said:

I haven't heard this one, but how about the Topping DX3 Pro?

2 hours ago, Taz777 said:

Is the Modi 3 the only 'reasonably priced' desktop DAC using the newest AKM chip? I'm keen to listen to a DAC with a different chip compared to the Topping D50 to see if it produces a nicer sound.

It measures pretty well and I was actually considering that  https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-topping-dx3pro-dac-and-headphone-amp.4967/ It doesnt have that ESS hump with some trade-off in other measurements. But I never use headphone, and its headphone amp outperform its DAC part... 

2 hours ago, Jud said:

As one alternative at your price point, though by far not the only one, you might look for a used iFi micro-iDSD DAC on eBay, and think about doing upsampling with Audirvana+ or other player software to feed it.

Thanks, I will research on that iFi. What's the benefit of "doing upsampling with Audirvana+ or other player software to feed it"? And can you suggest some other options?

During my search for the DAC, I've looked at products beyong my budget just to see what I can get. The Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 uses the same ESS chip I think and doesnt measure that great. I could spend more if I find something that I like. But I havent. So why not get the least expensive one that measures well. 

23 hours ago, Shangri-La said:

Yeah the D50 is looking really nice. Just that "hump" bothers me a bit. Not sure how that translates to realworld listening.. 

Topping D50 DAC SMPTE Intermodulation Measurement.png

I'm very intrigued by this graph. I will try to listen out for this during this evening's listening session on my headphones system, which is more detailed than my speaker-based system.

36 minutes ago, Taz777 said:

I'm very intrigued by this graph. I will try to listen out for this during this evening's listening session on my headphones system, which is more detailed than my speaker-based system.

That would be great.

Here's a site where you can actually listen for SMPTE IMD:

https://www.audiocheck.net/testtones_imd.php

I tried this out on my desktop system (speakers) and it sounded fine in that there was no discernible 'warbling' of the two frequencies (60Hz and 7kHz). My desktop system uses a Topping D50.

I'll try to figure out a way to run this same test on my headphones system which is being fed from a network streamer.