IGNORED

Suggestions for a low-cost DAC?

1 hour ago, Ottoa62 said:

One thing to note, I do not need my next DAC to drive head phones. Do you believe the D50 to be the best under 400?

2. My high interest in the Project is that is unfoldes MQA yeah...I know, a devil's maze. Still I use Tidal and I have a DF BLACK and MQA sounds pretty darn good. 

If the S2 is musical I will be happy and stop the hunt. I like the idea of a DAC PRE amp driving right to a power amp. I'm a minalist at heart. 

There’s a whole thread here about the S2 you should read. It has a few issues with the firmware and build quality. Not putting it down, just you should be aware before you buy. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, franz159 said:

Yes it is a raspberry pi, and the headphones are HiFiMan 400i.

For the "case", I guess you could also buy this one ...😀

https://www.sonore.us/toneDAC.html

I cannot tell for sure, I'm sort of guessing, but the name clearly hints of what is the DAC inside.

Just note: the little Sonore unit is intended just for use with the Sonore streamers. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)