This just in from dCS. All Rossini owners can run the update to take advantage of version 2.0 for free. 

( @miguelito have you done this yet? What's your verdict?)

Begin dCS text:

2018 was a very busy year for dCS with a number of new product introductions as well as numerous enhancements to our current offerings. With Rossini Transport and the new Bartók product line we’ve created offerings that will allow us to welcome a new group of customers to the dCS family. In parallel we brought meaningful improvements to our existing products so as to ensure that our long-time customers continue to enjoy truly cutting-edge digital playback.

To kick off 2019 dCS is releasing two software updates which bring significant performance gains to our products. Please see below for information and contact your dealers and customers to let them know of the update availability.

Rossini 2.0

dCS is pleased to announce that we have applied the technology developed for Vivaldi 2.0 to our Rossini platform and, like Vivaldi, this performance upgrade is available through a simple firmware update. As with Vivaldi 2.0 this update to Rossini brings significant gains in terms of sonic and measured performance.

Rossini 2.0 includes the following:

·       Updated RingDAC mapping algorithm based on the Vivaldi 2.0. This includes user-selectable mapping optimizations to allow for further tailoring of the sonic character of the DAC.

·       Addition of a DSDx2 upsampling option adapted from Vivaldi 2.0 and Vivaldi One.

·       Addition of DSD Filter 5 from Vivaldi 2.0

·       Improved handling of MQA transitions to eliminate dropouts

·       New time display modes for Rossini Player

·       Support for app control of a connected Rossini Transport (requires update to the dCS Rossini app via the App Store)

We are very pleased with the performance increase that this update has brought to the Rossini platform and are excited to share these gains with all of our customers who have invested in Rossini.

Rossini 2.0 will be available for installation on Wednesday, 2nd January 2019 at 10:00AM GMT. Please contact your dealers and customers to ensure that they are aware of the update availability and that they have the information needed to perform the update. There will be an associated update to the dCS Rossini app available through the App Store.

Updated manuals will soon be available from the support section of the dCS website and customers are encouraged to reference these for information on the new features.

Network firmware 406

Along with the Rossini 2.0 update we are releasing an update to our network firmware for Rossini, Vivaldi, and Vivaldi One devices. This release includes a complete re-write of our Roon Ready implementation and brings with it a number of performance and stability improvements. Please see the attached release notes for additional information on the contents of this update. Note that this version of the network firmware will not be immediately available for Network Bridge customers as we are finalizing an update to the FPGA on that device. Network Bridge customers should expect an update for their devices in early 2019.

Update Information

Rossini 2.0 and network firmware 406 will be distributed as an online update via the internet. The process can be initiated from within the dCS app with the following steps:

1)     From the main screen of the dCS app tap on the wrench or gear icon in the upper right corner.

2)     Tap on the ‘Information’ button

3)     Tap on ‘Version’

4)     Tap on ‘Check for Updates’

5)     The user will be prompted to download and install the update.

For Rossini the process will take approximately 15 – 20 minutes and once complete the front panel will display ‘PLEASE RESTART’. At this time the device should be power-cycled using the rear panel switch.

Once complete the Rossini should be reporting the following software versions:

·       Main Board:  2.00

·       Network Board: 406

If both versions were not updated, please re-try the update process.

Vivaldi and Vivaldi One devices should be power-cycled after the network firmware update is complete and the device is once again available via the dCS app.

Once complete the unit should be reporting the following on the versions screen:

Vivaldi Upsampler

·       Control Board:  2.10

·       Interface Board:  2.10

·       Front Panel:  2.10

·       Network:  406

Vivaldi One

·       Control Board:  1.11

·       Front Panel:  1.10

·       Interface Board:  1.10

·       Network:  406

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Hi Chris,

2018 was the year when I did not stress about equipment and just had the most amazing time LISTENING to fabulous music out of my Rossini. I am extremely pleased and thankful to dCS for getting me there. dCS is certainly not cheap stuff, but the value for money is incredible.

I am away from home, back tonight. I will update tomorrow and listen over the weekend. Will give you my impressions after.

Again, THANK YOU dCS! :)

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

44 minutes ago, miguelito said:

Hi Chris,

2018 was the year when I did not stress about equipment and just had the most amazing time LISTENING to fabulous music out of my Rossini. I am extremely pleased and thankful to dCS for getting me there. dCS is certainly not cheap stuff, but the value for money is incredible.

I am away from home, back tonight. I will update tomorrow and listen over the weekend. Will give you my impressions after.

Again, THANK YOU dCS! :)

Beautiful system mate 😊

33 minutes ago, miguelito said:

Rossini 2.0 review...

I have had the Rossini in my system since about Nov 2017. My system is fairly high end and resolving, even by the high standards of systems in this forum. I have listened to Rossini for about 14 months in my system’s current configuration - no major changes. Around Feb 2018 the MQA update came about - other than MQA capability, there were no other changes in this update.

The 2.0 update is quite a massive change to the Rossini - just see the list of changes above. Most notably to me:

1- Completely rewritten Roon implementation

2- RingDAC now runs at twice the speed (2.6MHz to 5.2MHz and the like) - note this is not the same as DSD64 to DSD128, as it is a 5bit implementation rather than 1bit.

3- Filters and mappers from the Vivaldi DAC have been implemented in Rossini 2.0

Some more details here: https://www.dcsltd.co.uk/reviews/rossinis-return/

For those with a Rossini, my settings for the comparison are: PCM filter: F3, DSD filter: F5, PCM upsampling: DSDx2, Mapper: Map1. I only run Roon, no DSP there at all. Don’t ask me to try other setting, I will not.

As I said I have easily 600-800 hours of listening in the same system to many types of files and music under my belt. I know what Rossini v1.0 sounds like pretty darn well.

Rossini 2.0 sounds more open, more spacious, more relaxed, AND more detailed! There seems to be a contradiction to it being more relaxed and more detailed, but that’s what I hear. It is a whole new DAC, with all of the qualities of 1.0 improved.

The tonality and spatial focus and depth of the piano in Maria Joao Pires’s “Chopin Nocturnes” is staggering. Female voices are even more real. I am talking redbook here. Amazing.

DSD tracks such as Amber Rubarth’s DSD128 version of “Sessions from the 17th Ward” also sound better, though this is much closer to 1.0.

Rossini’s MQA implementation from Feb 2018 was a little glitchy. dCS did the right thing and implemented filters that switch on ONLY when MQA is playing (which makes the MQA implementations difficult to do correctly). In 2.0 all the glitches have been cleared and MQA not only behaves flawlessly, but given the other changes in the RingDAC, it sounds even better - just like ALL other file types.

All in all, it’s like dCS shipped a completely new DAC to me over the internerds. Amazing. 

Thank you dCS!!!

Thanks for reporting, enjoy!

I am just wondering why dCS do not offer this upgrade to the Bartok.

Probably to get the hierarchy right.......

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

17 hours ago, matthias said:

am just wondering why dCS do not offer this upgrade to the Bartok.

Probably to get the hierarchy right.......

I think dCS wrote on Roon community that the Bartok will never get the exact same software driving the ring dac as a Rossini and that is perhaps not so strange. The software in Rossini is as I understand very similar to Vivaldi.

I tried a Rossini a couple of weeks ago with the old software and need to get it on loan again to see how it sounds now. 

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree
27 minutes ago, k-man said:

I only ever saw that the processor platform are very similar between Bartok and Rossini, so a 2.0 like update may occur in future.

They wrote this on Roon forum.

"All of our products use the RingDAC architecture and Bartok is no exception. It uses the current architecture which is shared by Vivaldi, Vivaldi One, and Rossini.

The RingDAC is designed to operate on a specific data format which is 5 bits with a sample rate of either 3 or 6MHz. It’s not DSD… it’s RingDAC format. It’s 5 bits because that’s how the math works out in relation to the actual physical hardware and desired noise characteristics"

So technicaly the Bartok could do the same thing as a Rossini with the same software but as you wrote @AMP will know. To me it would be strange if Bartok were to get same functions as a Rossini 2.0 but perhaps in the future.

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree
4 hours ago, octaviars said:

I think dCS wrote on Roon community that the Bartok will never get the exact same software driving the ring dac as a Rossini and that is perhaps not so strange. The software in Rossini is as I understand very similar to Vivaldi.

I tried a Rossini a couple of weeks ago with the old software and need to get it on loan again to see how it sounds now. 

AFAIK, they wrote at the same place that Rossini and Bartok are very similar regarding the hardware,, so I stand to my statement above.

I think they could have Bartok sounding nearly the same as Rossini, but they do not want to.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

18 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

dCS is a small company. Bringing complete overhaul updates to hardware consumes quite a bit of man hours to write and test. Give it time and I'm willing to bet you'll see improvements come to the Bartok. The Bartok has plenty of fpga horsepower for many years ahead. It will be updated in due time. 

People also need to understand that updates take time and implementation work. It is not a drag and drop. Implementation work in turn needs investment. Should a firm invest that money for cheaper products? And does it make sense to do so? Bartok is not the same as Rossini even if they share some of the hardware design. Improvements that might make sense to invest work on in one platform might be deemed a wash in another.

dCS is an incredible company, and when you buy one of their products you can be sure they will both support you and improve it over time.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

Nice system, miguelito! ;)

Triangle Magellan Concerto 2 < AQ Everest < Vitus Audio SS-010 Mk2 < AQ Dragon High Current < AQ WEL XLR < Chord Qutest DAC w UpTone JS-2 & AQ Dragon Source < AQ Diamond USB < Innuos Phoenix USB w AQ Dragon Source < Aurender N100H & AQ Dragon Source < NetGear GS105GE Switch w UpTone LPS1.2 < Supra CAT8 Ethernet < Gryphon PowerZone w AQ NRG-Wild < Stillpoints UltraSS, Ansuz Darkz D-TC & D2, Omicron Harmonic Stabilizer, Gold Evolution SE & Classic < Furutech FT-SWS (R) < Synergistic Research Orange Quantum Fuse < Solid Tech Hybrid < GigaWatt G-16A 2P Circuit Breaker